What's new

Pakistan Army received it's first Agusta Westland 139 Helicopter.

as long as their main purpose is to search and rescue missions. Its good to have more according to real requirement and our tightest budget.

get rid of those flying coffins MI 17s

For replacing every 1 Mi17, 2 Aw139 s are required.

Very rich country ,...

Overview.
The AW139 is classified as a large helicopter, and can be used for the following missions: Corporate, Firefighting, Medical, Military, Oil & Gas, Parapublic, and Police. The approximate base price of this rotorcraft is$10 million, which is 35% more expensive than the average for its class.

What is the price of one chopper ?

12 Million USD in 2013 (3 years back ) if I go by http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...l-news/2013-10-02/russia-balks-35-aw139-order

A very expensive helicopter to buy and maintain.

6th Aviation Squadron is using 5 AW139 for VVIP duties. Agha Khan Foundation is using around 4 as well for its country wide operations.

The helicopter is good but not for Pakistan Army ops. The better and cheaper option would have been the smaller version of it which is the AW109 I believe.

And I do believe that the contract signed would have been with the PAF (not the Army) that was looking for rescue helis to replace its ageing fleets of Alouettes.

Such a great news ....Pakistan Navy also needed it ...months ago ...I favored this beauty ...and here it comes now ...!Btw ...do we have it in service already ?

How does it happen in Pakistan ? Does the Govt make such big ticket procurements or do Army / AF ? Navy order for themselves - directly ?

if they really can get those rotorcrafts it would be great addition on uility platforms

but looking at pak military buget wouldent it be better to go for a russian counterpart would be better which is significantly lower cost

If we are going to buy them in large numbers which I can sense here, why not on ToT basis....after all the need for helis will keep growing future.
How many will you exactly call "large numbers"

If we are going to buy them in large numbers which I can sense here, why not on ToT basis....after all the need for helis will keep growing future.
How many will you exactly call "large numbers"

It is only the first deal that has got our friends across the border exited, what would happen when the others would become public.

This deal is might be of around 40 birds (rummer).
What rummer/Rumor? where you heard that? Is it just you who is trying to spread this rumor or you heard it from someone else?
It will be great if we can keep calm and do not indulge ourselves into speculating,, FOR ONCE!! PLEASE?

get rid of those
:lol:
Those were Mig21
Everything thing that Russians make are not flying coffins, educate yourself.

Mi17 is among the worlds most trusted and common transport chopper. PA MUST have invested in those, specially with the new Chinese line in operation. However, i do not think that these AW139 are meant for military transport to begin with so Mi17s and there value to PAA is a non-issue here.
six052-fma-005.jpg

These AW139 are most likely for SAR and VIP transport. I hope we can give a couple of these to NDMA so they stop looking toward army for every other land slide. Some may even go to CPEC project and for Gwadar security patrol. These are all speculation for now but one thing i am confident about is that these wont end us as a transport helicopter with Pakistan army aviation for assault troops.

AND

all said, i do feel that there were many other better options available compared to this quite expensive one. I hope Panama is not getting richer because of this deal. Not that i have got anything against the people of Panama.

@HRK @Slav Defence @Irfan Baloch @Oscar @Icarus @Horus @TaimiKhan
You people may want to put end to a few speculations here.

Last edited:
But anyhow good news , congrats to Pakistan navy , they needed some choppers for search and rescue role

Suprised how suddenly the news came

aw139ireland070714062458mb-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful chopper!!! But our govt screwed it by taking kickbacks:(

As it was expected and mentioned:
These AW139 are most likely for SAR and VIP transport. I hope we can give a couple of these to NDMA so they stop looking toward army for every other land slide. Some may even go to CPEC project and for Gwadar security patrol. These are all speculation for now but one thing i am confident about is that these wont end us as a transport helicopter with Pakistan army aviation for assault troops.

Pakistan signs up for more AW139 helos
http://www.janes.com/article/60600/pakistan-signs-up-for-more-aw139-helos

Pakistan has signed a contract for an undisclosed number of AgustaWestland AW139 intermediate twin-engine helicopters, Italian defence group Leonardo-Finmeccanica announced on 24 May.

The contract is part of a fleet renewal programme spread over several batches, including a logistic support and training package. The AW139s, deliveries of which are expected in 2017, will be used to perform search-and-rescue (SAR) operations across the country, said the AgustaWestland parent company.

A total of 11 AW139s are already in service in Pakistan, with five aircraft operated for government relief and transportation duties

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom