What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

Aerial view of Skardu Airport and Air Base
Skardu, Gilgit Baltistan

80127089_2418622678265416_4001134281039544320_n.jpg

Hello Everyone: …. is this true?

I wouldn't buy into anything the YouTube videos say. I found most YouTube defence and journalistic channels as a mean to fifteen-minutes-of-fame for people pretending to be military, academic or journalistic experts. Most of their analysis is also amateurish. Suffice to say, they usually conjure up unverifiable information just to increase their following. Some, however, have some sort of a backing, even though the realities of their expertise are same.

Because of my above views I did not go through the whole video. But having said the above, there were speculations of possible 3rd Chinese stealth fighter when J-20 and J-31/FC-31 projects began. There was a view at the time that these two aircraft were actually exploratory attempts to be followed up by an aircraft that could actually be at par with the American F-22 and F-35. This was to be done as soon as Chinese aviation technology matured. But with China trying to flex its air power quickly against the US they decided to finalize at least one of these aircraft as operational products, and the J-20 was eventually selected for that purpose. I suspect that the Chinese would at some point begin exploring 5th Gen VTOL aircraft for both PLAAF and PLAN.

Don't know what they are offering Pakistan though, but they certainly won't tell a YouTuber.

I wouldn't buy into anything the YouTube videos say. I found most YouTube defence and journalistic channels as a mean to fifteen-minutes-of-fame for people pretending to be military, academic or journalistic experts. Most of their analysis is also amateurish. Suffice to say, they usually conjure up unverifiable information just to increase their following. Some, however, have some sort of a backing, even though the realities of their expertise are same.

Because of my above views I did not go through the whole video. But having said the above, there were speculations of possible 3rd Chinese stealth fighter when J-20 and J-31/FC-31 projects began. There was a view at the time that these two aircraft were actually exploratory attempts to be followed up by an aircraft that could actually be at par with the American F-22 and F-35. This was to be done as soon as Chinese aviation technology matured. But with China trying to flex its air power quickly against the US they decided to finalize at least one of these aircraft as operational products, and the J-20 was eventually selected for that purpose. I suspect that the Chinese would at some point begin exploring 5th Gen VTOL aircraft for both PLAAF and PLAN.

Don't know what they are offering Pakistan though, but they certainly won't tell a YouTuber.
There are at least 7 years away from producing anything like VTOL. Or even more. Their engines and TVC aren’t mature yet and VTOL is on a whole different level.

There are at least 7 years away from producing anything like VTOL. Or even more. Their engines and TVC aren’t mature yet and VTOL is on a whole different level.

Agreed. Though, I think they might be at least 7 to 10 years away from producing and maturing VTOL/STOVL technology. Not to forget an engine at par with P&W F135. The aircraft itself might be even further away.

Courtesy ACE of PAF's facebook page:

"Why Pakistan flies F-16 on border patrols also known as CAP or combat air patrols?

Because F-16 are equipped with AIM-120 AMRAAM.

Little known to general public , there are two criteria for major overhaul of an air to air missiles.

Shelf life when the missile is not mounted on a fighter jet and in storage. Missiles can have many years of shelf life before needing a major overhaul.

Captive flying hours. Or the amount of time a missile flies while attached to a fighter jets.
This is the real problem.

Since an air to air missile experiences violent vibrations, extreme temperature changes and other forms of stress while flying mounted on a fighter jet. It needs a major overhaul after certain number of flying hours and an accurate record is kept for each missile.

For AMRAAM AIM-120 the reported Captive flying hours were 895 as of 1990.

Since then the later versions have been improved and the version Pakistan uses AIM-120C had 1500 captive flying hours endurance before overhaul.

In comparison a French Meteor missile (used on Rafale) needs a motor change every 500 flying hours and a complete overhaul every 1000 flying hours.

The SD-10 air to air missile used by JF-17 Thunder is far more accurate and has a much higher kill probability than AIM-120 , but has a very low endurance for captive flying hours. The missile needs to be taken apart and thoroughly checked after every 100 flying hours , which is far lower than the 1500 hours of AIM-120C.

For this reason F-16 with AIM-120 patrol Pakistani skies on combat patrols, and JF-17 with SD-10 are only sent in at critical occasions where actual combat is imminent.

This configuration is cost effective."

Back
Top Bottom