What's new

India to modernize Sukhoi Su-30MKI fighter fleet with $4 billion program

The only area where India still cannot upgrade on it's own is the engine. I don't see that being upgraded as of now, at least not as part of the first block of upgrades.
What about permission from Russia for upgrading? Is it required if we don’t take any components from them? Are we capable to undertake this upgrade completely in-house?
Indian SU's always had a large non russian component list.
They were mostly integrated with Russian assistance. I don’t know, how were changes done later?
Upgrade to Super Sukhoi would be a massive amount of work requiring expertise which may not be with HAL. That‘s an assumption. That’s why the question of Russian involvement even if we aren’t taking any equipment from them.

Last edited:
What about permission from Russia for upgrading? Is it required if we don’t take any components from them? Are we capable to undertake this upgrade completely in-house?

They were mostly integrated with Russian assistance. I don’t know, how were changes done later?
Upgrade to Super Sukhoi would be a massive amount of work requiring expertise which may not be with HAL. That‘s and assumption. That’s why the question of Russian involvement even if we aren’t taking any equipment from them.
Indian contribution to Su-30MKI avionics (developed under project Ventrivale) include DARE MC-486 and DP-30MK mission computer/display processor; DARE RC1 and RC2 radar computer; DARE DR118 RWR and high-accuracy direction-finding module; IFF-1410A IFF; HAL INCOM 1210A integrated communication suite; HAL RAM-1701 radar altimeter; and LRDE programmable signal processor. Avionics systems from various countries integrated by Ramenskoye RPK

Upgrade to Super Sukhoi would be a massive amount of work requiring expertise which may not be with HAL. That‘s an assumption. That’s why the question of Russian involvement even if we aren’t taking any equipment from them.

What I gather the depth of our tech integration on Su 30 is very high. For instance, one of two mission computers is ours. Under current circustances, Russia would be more inetersted in our status as oil buyers and not just weapons purchases. I'm sure they'll make some allowances.

Russia would be more inetersted in our status as oil buyers and not just weapons purchases. I'm sure they'll make some allowances.
They have proven to be difficult while negotiating few upgrades earlier.
I hope current war with Ukraine gets us some leverage and rope to decide the path, without IP related issues.

Permission? What for? HAL's Mission Computer is used on the Su-30MKI as are a few other avionics, all developed as part of Project Vetrivale when the Su-30MKI was first ordered by the IAF in the late 1990s. Plus HAL has built over 200 Su-30MKIs, so knows the fighter inside out.

Remember the Brahmos ALCM integration? Russia wanted USD 200 million (~INR 1300 crores) to be paid for the studies, testing and integration of the Brahmos and IAF refused. HAL did it in INR 80 crores! No permission was sought, and in fact a LOT of data was generated by HAL as a result, including the numerical master geometry, from 2D drawings which was all that was ever shared by Sukhoi, at the time of the ToT for license manufacture.

link

India has already planned the integration of Uttam with the Su-30MKI. Same with the new IRST which is a JV between BEL and HAL. It'll be done as long as the IAF and MoD support it.

Given that India has a full turn key avionics infrastructure for the Tejas, what it did with the Darin upgrades for the Jaguar's, the technologies it is developing for AMCA, India should be in the position where it can rip out the entire avionics infra of the Su30MKI and replace it with a "grown up" variant of what is in Tejas ? There is a lack of a joined up picture here.

Is the restriction - around licensing agreements/approvals from Russia ? Or Self-confidence in India developed systems?

Something is not joined up here.

There should be no reason to go to Russia except for the engines... none.

But the point is US used F-16 as test bed for DSI that were implemented later on F-35.

Pakistan can ask the US & LM to upgrade F-16 to include DSI.

U r completely retarded. It was a test bed...and even the US itself didn't implement it on its fleet of F16s. U r continually going off topic...and as usual u have no clue as to what u r talking about...u r gripping at straws after being flat out wrong about F16s having DSI.

Wouldnt it be better for India to just buy a new aircraft with $4 billion!? Any new investments in Su-30 wont give incremental value worth such investment.

Wouldnt it be better for India to just buy a new aircraft with $4 billion!?
For gods sake don’t suggest that.
New procurement? You have seen how much time our system takes to complete the entire process? That would be a hopeless situation.

Upgrade makes a lot of sense.

After upgrading the avionics and other systems it would be a potent platform. Should be able to serve for few more decades.

For gods sake don’t suggest that.
New procurement? You have seen how much time our system takes to complete the entire process? That would be a hopeless situation.

Upgrade makes a lot of sense.

After upgrading the avionics and other systems it would be a potent platform. Should be able to serve for few more decades.
First Su-30MKI entered service with the IAF in 2004

First Su-30MKI entered service with the IAF in 2004
It still has a lot of life left in it.

With new systems and weapons, it remains a potent platform. No other fighter is capable of carrying Brahmos. It’s load carrying capability is unmatched.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom