What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

Qatar Invites PAF to perform on it's National Day Parade on 18th December

Photo-1885.jpg

http://falcons.pk/photo/JF-17-Thunder/1885

Rebuilding old cobras I read on other PDF by Usman Shabbir that Army looking to upgrade these old cobras from turkey like Jordan has plus Army Aviation has fantastic engine workshop for these cobras.
They had to out of necessity. These Cobras were turning into deathtraps for its crew. Bodes well for Pakistan that it is feeling more emboldened to help itself, like it did with Saab 2000s.

They had to out of necessity. These Cobras were turning into deathtraps for its crew. Bodes well for Pakistan that it is feeling more emboldened to help itself, like it did with Saab 2000s.
Necessity is the mother of invention. HST, these overhauls and upgrades are not cheap as spares have to be procured at commercial rates plus cannabalization.

Rebuilding old cobras I read on other PDF by Usman Shabbir that Army looking to upgrade these old cobras from turkey like Jordan has plus Army Aviation has fantastic engine workshop for these cobras.

I think this is what happened

US provided 20 cobras for flying condition which were added

It also provided 20 cobras for spares but to make sure pak did not make them fly worthy all cabling /wiring was cut out but had everything else to be converted to spares

Pak inventory looks like is more than usual ie 20 older cobras plus 20 new one delivered in 2010ish so should be around 40’max minus attrition

Pak/pac took the challenge and used wiring at pac w/o tech docs to recover and replace lost ones there were at least 2/3 accidents and losses over the years since 80s

I think they used 10-12 to be converted to spare and rewire 8-10 more to bring them to flight status

There were pic of cobra being unloaded from c-141 with all wire cut out at one time

Again this is my theory but I can be totally wrong

It also provided 20 cobras for spares but to make sure pak did not make them fly worthy all cabling /wiring was cut out but had everything else to be converted to spares

Pak inventory looks like is more than usual ie 20 older cobras plus 20 new one delivered in 2010ish so should be around 40’max minus attrition

Pak/pac took the challenge and used wiring at pac w/o tech docs to recover and replace lost ones there were at least 2/3 accidents and losses over the years since 80s

I think they used 10-12 to be converted to spare and rewire 8-10 more to bring them to flight status

There were pic of cobra being unloaded from c-141 with all wire cut out at one time

Very likely actually. completely remember the delivery of the 20 cobras for spares utilisation, were stored at Multan AAB.

Pakistan has had 7 Cobra related accidents or crashes since 2008 that I know of, probably more. If any of them are not written off completely and just damaged (3 maybe), it is bound by circumstances to try to rebuild or recover them, since new or used ones are not seemingly coming as expected (read AH-1Zs not delivered, T-129 delayed).

Cut cabling or wiring is not a big challenge for us to overcome honestly, but it is keeping the antiquated systems running. I think it would make sense to completely replace the internals of the gunships with systems sourced from Kamra or abroad, though I am not sure how that would impact OEM support etc for engines and such. But replacing wiring is a pretty easy thing for us to accomplish given last decade of manufacturing experience with the JF-17

Question for everyone in the know.

Have the Egyptian Mirage 3/5's been delivered yet ?( ie the Horus upgraded Mirages ).

Back
Top Bottom