What's new

PAF J-10C News, Updates and Discussion

20230302_064744.jpg

I don’t know whether Pakistan has obtained the foreign trade version of PL-15E or the self-use version of PL-15.
In Ordnance Technology's interview with Wang Jiaying, the leader of the Missile Institute, he clearly answered that the self-use version PL-15 carried by the J-10 has a range of more than 200KM, and the foreign trade version of the PL- 15E has a shorter range than the self-use version.
pl-15w.jpg

awesome addition.
quantum.leap in capability and.the.most suitable response to.rafale

I don’t know whether Pakistan has obtained the foreign trade version of PL-15E or the self-use version of PL-15.
In Ordnance Technology's interview with Wang Jiaying, the leader of the Missile Institute, he clearly answered that the self-use version PL-15 carried by the J-10 has a range of more than 200KM, and the foreign trade version of the PL- 15E has a shorter range than the self-use version.
View attachment 918516
That’s where multiple opinions exist - post the 27th Feb 2019 action a small stock of PL-15s were quietly transferred to Pakistan to use with AESA upgraded JF-17 block-2s and existing block-2s. It was speculated that those came as emergency from PLAAF stocks or at least stock meant for PLAAF so it is possible that they are original ones. However, when the J-10s landed in Pakistan they carry the PL-15E which is the export version. So either the PL-15E was released earlier to Pakistan (which was already in negotiations for J-10CP) or Pakistan has stocks for both PL-15E and standard PL-15.

View attachment 918516

The interview confirms that PL-15E uses dual pulse as well. My theory is that on default mode there is no gap between when the two pulses fire on PL-15E. But should the need arise, there is a software switch that could make it into a much more potent missile, much like the rumored “do not remove” counterweights in Norinco long range rockets.

The interview confirms that PL-15E uses dual pulse as well. My theory is that on default mode there is no gap between when the two pulses fire on PL-15E. But should the need arise, there is a software switch that could make it into a much more potent missile, much like the rumored “do not remove” counterweights in Norinco long range rockets.
If this is the case, then it means that with a slight adjustment of the software control ignition timing, the PL-15E may even exceed the range of the Meteor missile

We just know which type Pakistan has received - keep in mind. There is a lot of obfuscation also in what is represented in media releases.

Repeatedly showing PL-15E in videos was either a brag on having it or a forced focus on “PL-15E”

That’s where multiple opinions exist - post the 27th Feb 2019 action a small stock of PL-15s were quietly transferred to Pakistan to use with AESA upgraded JF-17 block-2s and existing block-2s. It was speculated that those came as emergency from PLAAF stocks or at least stock meant for PLAAF so it is possible that they are original ones. However, when the J-10s landed in Pakistan they carry the PL-15E which is the export version. So either the PL-15E was released earlier to Pakistan (which was already in negotiations for J-10CP) or Pakistan has stocks for both PL-15E and standard PL-15.
Short of OCA ops into India, what additional value would the 200 km-variant of the PL-15 realistically bring? I think the true value of the PLAAF's PL-15 stocks was likely in terms of seeker quality and, possibly, a better NEZ, than the range in itself.

Or, perhaps, have some PL-15Es on hand is helpful for AVIC in the sense that if any of those were to hit something, they can add it as a testimonial (whereas the local PL-15 wouldn't be exportable).

Short of OCA ops into India, what additional value would the 200 km-variant of the PL-15 realistically bring? I think the true value of the PLAAF's PL-15 stocks was likely in terms of seeker quality and, possibly, a better NEZ, than the range in itself.

Or, perhaps, have some PL-15Es on hand is helpful for AVIC in the sense that if any of those were to hit something, they can add it as a testimonial (whereas the local PL-15 wouldn't be exportable).
Essential puts any future “balakots” into even more stand off territory(with the potential failures as well). If you know that even if a Pakistani interceptor is 100km out from your location 20km behind the border - it still puts you at risk so other than launching really long range strikes with Brahmos - all other stand-off systems such as Hammer for the Rafale and leaves them with the SCALP. So basically reduces options for stand-off strike packages until they bring their local subsonic cruise systems online.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom