What's new

Oliver Hazard Class Frigate Acquisition by Pakistan

all that rubbish is good for you son!:blah: :blah:

arguing for nothing is something you are good at! :argh: i advice you to go through my post once again with open eyes and brain and surely that will help you, dont try to be smart by pointless arguments! you are heavily misunderstanding what i have been saying! no active duty ship is stripped but this will be done when the ship is to be given to pakistan, that is the simple point i am saying!

no one says that the pics are fake but if i just want to argue as you let me say that " these pics were from the period when the ship was in service with US navy and now it HAS been deprived of all this equipment! "though a point less statement but i guess that is what people all that rubbish is good for you son!

arguing for nothing is something you are good at! i advice you to go through my post once again with open eyes and brain and surely that will help you, dont try to be smart by pointless arguments! you are heavily misunderstanding what i have been saying! no active duty ship is stripped but thos will be done when the ship is to be given to pakistan, that is the simple point i am saying!
no one says that the pics are fake but if i just want to argue as you let me say that " these pics were from the period when the ship was in service with US navy and now it HAS been deprived of all this equipment! though a point less statement but i guess that is what people like you need to be said to!

Ships Planned for Decommissioning or Deactivation during the FYDP
FY - SHIP NAME - HULL NO. - PLANNED DISPOSITION
2010 - USS MCINERNEY - FFG 8 - Foreign Military Sales
2012 - USS BOONE - FFG 28 - Foreign Military Sales
2012 - USS STEPHEN W GROVES - FFG 29 - Foreign Military Sales
2012 - USS JOHN L HALL - FFG 32 - Foreign Military Sales
2013 - USS JARRETT - FFG 33 - Foreign Military Sales
2013 - USS UNDERWOOD - FFG 36 - Foreign Military Sales
2013 - USS CROMMELIN - FFG 37 - Foreign Military Sales
2013 - USS DOYLE - FFG 39 - Foreign Military Sales
2013 - USS KLAKRING - FFG 42 - Foreign Military Sales

B. Surface Combatants
The FFG 7 class reaches the end of its service life prior to FY 2020. During the period of this report, nine guided missile frigates of the FFG 7 class will be retired at the end of their useful service lives and, provided the Littoral Combat Ships join the fleet as planned, there will be no capability gap.

Ships not identified for disposal are retained for possible future mobilization, transfer to other government organizations, foreign military sales, logistics support, or donation for use as museums or for public display. When these options are not appropriate, the two primary means of disposal of inactive ships are either by dismantling or sinking. Dismantling is one of the more costly options involving a commercial ship dismantling yard. Disposal of conventionally-powered ships by sinking will usually be conducted as part of an approved training exercise or to support weapons testing requirements. Another option for sinking may be to provide an ocean bottom artifact to support fish and marine growth as an artificial reef.

Source (tables page 14, 16 and 17)

The United States government fiscal year for 2010 ("FY10", sometimes written "FY09–10") is as follows:
1st Quarter: October 1, 2009 – December 31, 2009
2nd Quarter: January 1, 2010 – March 31, 2010
3rd Quarter: April 1, 2010 – June 30, 2010
4th Quarter: July 1, 2010 – September 30, 2010

Soonest McInerney will be decommissioned is October 1, 2009.

The Naval Vessel Transfer Act of 2008 (Public Law 110-429, 122 Stat. 4842-4845) was enacted October 15, 2008, to authorize the transfer of naval vessels to certain foreign recipients, and for other purposes. It is divided into two titles. Title I, the “Naval Vessel Transfer Act of 2008,” authorizes the President to transfer specified vessels on a grant basis to Pakistan, Chile, and Peru. To the Government of Pakistan, the Oliver Hazard Perry class guided missile frigate McInerney (FFG-8). Section 2(e) provides that the authority provided by this bill will expire 2 years after the date of enactment of the bill.
Global Legal Information Network

This means McInerney should be transferred no later than 15 Octber 2010 (lest the authority expires and the deal would fall through).

In two weeks, how much stuff can you remove from a ship that is to be delivered to a foreign navy?

Here's a (US origin) suggestion for use of the second hand FFG7 class ships.
00ca9df01ea24da286c26061eaeb2dcd.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^

What do we need Tomahawk for?

I am sure the naval version of Babur is just around the corner. Its much better than Tomahawk anyway, and its 100% ours.:pakistan:

Babur will be an attempt to use Tomahawk launcher..need to dig some Babur and Tomahawk configs...its an interesting scenario..

Claims and counter claims

Hatf-VII Babur is a reverse-engineered Tomahawk. For those who think it is an HN-1, please place photos of all three missiles side-by-side - Babur, Tomahawk and HN1 - and see for yourself.

1998 - Six Tomahawks malfunction and land in Balochistan Province of Pakistan. 2 out of the 4 Tomahawks are found INTACT (with only dents on the skin) by the Pakistan Army and confiscated. 4 Tomahawks are either destroyed on impact or severely damaged/broken apart into pieces.

1999 - Project 828 starts in NDC in Fatehjung, west of Islamabad. Project 828 is Pakistan's secret programme to develop an indigenous cruise missile capability and aims to reverse-engineer the Tomahawk. Chinese engineers (from the Chinese cruise missile programme) are also flown in for this Project. However, it is NOT a Chinese project, nor does China finance it. In fact, the salaries of Chinese engineers are paid for by Pakistan.

2004 - First tests of Babur are carried out. Most fail.

2005 - After fine-tuning, further tests of Babur are carried out, most of which are successful.

2005 August - First "public" test of Babur is carried out. It has taken Pakistan 7 years to successfully reverse-engineer the Tomahawk (Pakistan's Information Minister, as quoted in the media, has referred to the development period being "8 years" because he is erroneously counting 1998, in which the Tomahawks were recovered, when, in fact, Project 828 began in 1999). This is why the missile is going into serial production soon. Project 828 has reached its conclusion.

And for those of you who are doubting Pakistan's ability to reverse-engineer technology have no idea about the capabilities of Pakistanis to copy things mostly at a fraction of the cost of the original. Pakistanis are masters at the art of COPYING. 30% of the components of the F-16 have been reverse-engineered and are being manufactured in Pakistan. If Pakistan had access to F-16 technology, they could produce the jets at 30% less cost than the Americans do.

It is for this reason that at least 20 components of the Boeing 777 will be manufactured at the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex, Kamra.

^^^^^^^^^^

What do we need Tomahawk for?

I am sure the naval version of Babur is just around the corner. Its much better than Tomahawk anyway, and its 100% ours.:pakistan:

Actually, it was a bit of a sarcastic post, catering to those who insist cruise missiles like Babur should be placed on frigates. Clearly, in the case of McInerney, such a set up would totally ruin its number one stong point: twin ASW helicopters.

Clearly, in the case of McInerney, such a set up would totally ruin its number one stong point: twin ASW helicopters.

Well, in case we are getting them more than one (I have read that US will be providing 6 OHPs to Pakistan), we can convert some of them into cruise missile frigates and retain some of them for ASW role. After all, PN is in dire need of a LACM and I doubt the Chinese F-22P that we are getting can be armed with Babur (any knowledgeable member can shed some more light on it).
In any case, I would prefer Babur over Tomahawk anyday. It cannot be sanctioned, neither do we have to beg the yanks for its spare parts and maintenance.:smokin:

Well, in case we are getting them more than one (I have read that US will be providing 6 OHPs to Pakistan), we can convert some of them into cruise missile frigates and retain some of them for ASW role. After all, PN is in dire need of a LACM and I doubt the Chinese F-22P that we are getting can be armed with Babur (any knowledgeable member can shed some more light on it).
In any case, I would prefer Babur over Tomahawk anyday. It cannot be sanctioned, neither do we have to beg the yanks for its spare parts and maintenance.:smokin:

yes IF we can use them as cruise missile platform it will be very helpfull! i dont think the F22p will be able to do so. it is rumored that a sea launched cruise missile is under development but i guess it will be operation from our submarines rather than the F22p!

and as for the ASW role of these oliver perry class ships, what about the helicopters, which hwlicopter we wil be operating from them, are we going to have some more helicopters or no!

regards!

Actually, it was a bit of a sarcastic post, catering to those who insist cruise missiles like Babur should be placed on frigates. Clearly, in the case of McInerney, such a set up would totally ruin its number one stong point: twin ASW helicopters.

I was going to ask about that in my earlier post. Why turn a sub hunter designed for carrying choppers into a cruise missile launcher? I thought it was probably a stupid question because it depends on the Navy's requirements and modifications that can be done to meet those requirements.

I was going to ask about that in my earlier post. Why turn a sub hunter designed for carrying choppers into a cruise missile launcher? I thought it was probably a stupid question because it depends on the Navy's requirements and modifications that can be done to meet those requirements.

No, it's a good question. Just because you can doesn't mean it makes sense to do so. It's a silly conversion.

Raytheon and Havelsan made an agreement in IDEF 2009 to joint-export Havelsan developed "Genesis" Command and control center...

Here is a news for you, brothers...

ANKARA -Havelsan, a software and systems company providing global solutions in the defense and information technology sectors, has managed to continue its growth through the time of crisis.

"The company has not been affected by the economic fluctuations thanks to long-term strategic planning and management," said Faruk Yarman, Havelsan general manager.

The company plans to increase its income, which stood at 208.2 million Turkish Liras last year, to 300 million liras this year, said Yarman. "We plan to attain 30 percent of this figure from exports," he added.

Havelsan currently is working on an investment deal in Pakistan, Yarmans said. The project the company is developing for Pakistan can be extended to other countries as well. Havelsan is working on a joint project with U.S.-based Raytheon. It has also signed mutual agreements with Italys Finmeccanica and Elettronica, Koreas KAI and Germanys Rheinmetall Defence companies to develop joint projects.

Havelsan plans to export more

if we can get it for our batch of perry class ships then it could prove to be good for us! i hope we can get it and that also not for too much money!

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom