What's new

Oliver Hazard Class Frigate Acquisition by Pakistan

Dont jump to any conclusions yet.

The Ship is only transferred but it will spend next 4-5 months in US ShipYard for refurbishment before it sails for Pakistan next year Jan.

MK13 and its associated systems will still go on this ship during refurbishments.

yep, that's what i heard on news too.

Dont jump to any conclusions yet.

The Ship is only transferred but it will spend next 4-5 months in US ShipYard for refurbishment before it sails for Pakistan next year Jan.

MK13 and its associated systems will still go on this ship during refurbishments.

I'm not jumping to conclusions, just looking at pics. I really would appreciate some source for the statement about spending the coming months in a yard as well as for the statement about which systems will be (re)installed during this period. It is not that I would not like to see this happen, rather I'ld like to have some independent confirmation. Otherwise, we remain in the realm of supposition.

If it was 'on the news' then perhaps the tv/radio station has a website where there is an article, which may in turn reveal the actual source of the information.

I'm not jumping to conclusions, just looking at pics. I really would appreciate some source for the statement about spending the coming months in a yard as well as for the statement about which systems will be (re)installed during this period. It is not that I would not like to see this happen, rather I'ld like to have some independent confirmation. Otherwise, we remain in the realm of supposition.

If it was 'on the news' then perhaps the tv/radio station has a website where there is an article, which may in turn reveal the actual source of the information.

No, my post was not directed at you. But hey looks like my guess is turning out to be true.

Jane's
The Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate USS McInerney was paid off by the US Navy (USN) on 31 August and immediately recommissioned into the Pakistan Navy (PN).

The 4,100-ton vessel was renamed PNS Alamgir (F 260) during the 'hot transfer' ceremony at the Mayport naval base in Florida, which followed an agreement between the United States and Pakistan under the former's Foreign Military Sales (FMS) programme.

Alamgir is likely to be followed into Pakistani service by several other members of its class. In 2009, the government in Islamabad was pressing Washington to agree to transfer a further five or six Oliver Hazard Perrys as they become surplus to USN requirements.

Originally commissioned in December 1979, the lead ship will now be refurbished in the US while its crew completes a training package under USN instruction. The engineering work may include the addition of a surface-to-air missile system; the original Mk 13 launchers (for SM-1 missiles) were removed in US service.

The FMS deal was worth about USD78 million, the US Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) said when it notified Congress of the possible sale in February this year.

Well, I suppose that's good news. At least it is a credible source.

The engineering work may include the addition of a surface-to-air missile system; the original Mk 13 launchers (for SM-1 missiles) were removed in US service.

This bit has me puzzled for it seems to imply that the Mk13 capability cannot be reinstated. If so, this suggest a RAM launcher or perhaps a short 8-cell Mk41 self defense version for ESSM. A surplus NSSM launcher is also a posiibility.

Puzzling is also that there is no word on Harpoon or any other AShM.

This bit has me puzzled for it seems to imply that the Mk13 capability cannot be reinstated. If so, this suggest a RAM launcher or perhaps a short 8-cell Mk41 self defense version for ESSM. A surplus NSSM launcher is also a posiibility.

Pakistan alredy operates Harpoon and recently ordered some more.

Maybe they want to look at Naval Babur or Ra'ad

Lets hope MK13 is indeed reinstated. it will solve all the solutions.
Last month i saw newly uploaded youtube video of USN FFG-5* visiting japan and interestingly it had RAM on top of MK13 place...

Lets hope MK13 is indeed reinstated. it will solve all the solutions.
Last month i saw newly uploaded youtube video of USN FFG-5* visiting japan and interestingly it had RAM on top of MK13 place...

Really!? I'ld like to see that.

It may have been FFG-54 Ford, participating in RIMPAC 2010. This does have 'something' under a tarpaulin cover mounted on top of a frame that is in turn mounted over and across the remainder of the Mk13. However, the shape of that suggests it is a single Mk 38 Mod 2Machine Gun System (MGS), sporting a 25mm Bushmaster chaingun and Toplite electro-optical fire control system .

Vid:
(See around 1min of 1:42min.)

This might be indicative of the way in which a RAM launcher or NSSM launcher could be mounted on McInerney.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really!? I'ld like to see that.

It may have been FFG-54 Ford, participating in RIMPAC 2010. This does have 'something' under a tarpaulin cover mounted on top of a frame that is in turn mounted over and across the remainder of the Mk13. However, the shape of that suggests it is a single Mk 38 Mod 2Machine Gun System (MGS), sporting a 25mm Bushmaster chaingun and Toplite electro-optical fire control system .

Vid: YouTube - USS Ford (FFG 54) departs Pearl Harbor during RIMPAC 2010 (See around 1min of 1:42min.)

This might be indicative of the way in which a RAM launcher or NSSM launcher could be mounted on McInerney.

ok dude, thanks for correcting me.

You can't judge by pics in this case as the ship is going refit.

We are sure yet.....so lets wait and see.

well hope pakistan navy chooses weapon system for the ship very senibally and also install our babur class cruise missile on this as looks like bigger ship than our F 22 P

as it is...
it have about 500~700 ton more displacement then the F-22p with a dispatcemet of 4100 ton

Decommissioning ceremony of USS McInerney (FFG 8), commissioning ceremony of PNS Alamgir at Naval Station Mayport.

oliverhazardperryclassf.jpg

So its become the most powerful frigate of PN. Good.

Penguin, does it still has the SM- or removed as mentioned by wiki?

Video of decommissioning ceremony of USS McInerney (FFG 8), commissioning ceremony of PNS Alamgir at Naval Station Mayport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely the phalanx on the type-21's will be transferred to this vessel, as they are ready for decommissioning.

a very good point indeeed,
i nevr thoughn about it.

we may weel see some of type-21 weapon platform transfered to these ships. they can be upgradrd to a better performance level.
we can remove the Phalnax CIWS, Harpoon launchers, ca get better main gun from China and integrate it.
that is a good approach.
i hope PN also gets the idea!!

regards!

So its become the most powerful frigate of PN. Good.

Penguin, does it still has the SM- or removed as mentioned by wiki?

no its not!!

we still have the F-22p punch to offer to enemies!!:pakistan:

regards!

Back
Top Bottom