What's new

Oliver Hazard Class Frigate Acquisition by Pakistan

Where is the ship already the date has passed!

The ship was in Mayport, Florida. I'm assuming it will be transferred to PN there. Then it will set sail for Pakistan. No idea how long a journey that would be but don't be surprised if it is a couple of weeks.

I heard this frigate is retired from US Army and about 25 years old technology......so my question is what Pak Navy is looking into this frigate...

Yawn > please see the threads on McInerney and other OHP/FFG7 type ship that are ample in this forum (i.e. this issue has been discussed to death)

Besides, considering the ship itself is 31 years old, the technology is more like 40-odd years old (if you assumed nothing was done to the ship's systems during it's service life, that is, which is of course a silly assumption).

Frigates are employed by the US NAVY.

should be merged , and also due to current flood crisis , the celebration is a bit muted

It is not an advanced warship! USS McInerney is the second oldest Oliver Hazard Perry class frigate built in 1979. It is 31 years old frigate which would be upgraded to Pakistani Navy's specifications.

Any news about what kind of upgrade it thought? I am just interested because like it is maybe known the Turkish upgrade to the Perry (like the Australian upgrade) is about the maximum what can be done for these ships.

Despite its age, it is still more advanced in several ways than the Type 21s operated by PN...

yes true,
atleast better then the british Type-21z.
i hope we can arm it and then it will be good in anti-piracy roles and stop gap assignment.

regards!

Any news about what kind of upgrade it thought? I am just interested because like it is maybe known the Turkish upgrade to the Perry (like the Australian upgrade) is about the maximum what can be done for these ships.

there is no news about any upgrades.
perhaps PN wont be spending any money on these old platforms.
this is of concern to me.
we have to make a strange decesion. either we take and induct this boat as it is is then it is of no good then a fishing trawler, if we go for upgrades, then the negative will be that we will be spending millions on ships that wont ever be brought on par with the latest the enemy have to offer. also they wont be in action for long periods of time so spending heavily on them wont be a good choice.:frown:

i hope and know that ON is much more wise then me and wuld have sorted out a good option! :tup:

regards!

Is this ship coming with missiles Installed on it in past means when it serve in US navy ???? or just a ship ???

I think iam old enough to know that don't be starcastic... dont' be a little boy act matture i asked a simple question and wasn't to you.:tdown:

come on bro, take it lightly,,,

yaar he was just saying something on a light note...

why be so agressive!
:cheers:

thanks!

regards!

The following is the internal link discussing upgrades.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/naval-forces/57076-alamgir-class-frigate.html

There seems to be a lot of confusion on the FFG-7's Pakistan is receiving from the U.S. starting this August. I have found an article dated April 26, 2010 that seems to clarify what upgrades are taking place. And Pakistan's intended purpose of them. Contrary to what most people believe including myself. They are intended as an anti-submarine Platform. They are refered to as "Alamgir Class". And Pakistan is looking to obtain 8 of them.

Perrys for Pakistan: USS McInerney & the Alamgir Class

26-Apr-2010 14:08 EDT

On Feb 19/10, the US DSCA announced Pakistan’s official request to buy the Oliver Hazard Perry Class frigate USS McInerney [FFG 8], plus refurbishment and anti-submarine improvements. That deal is now a contract, and is reportedly the first step in an 8-ship purchase.

In 2009, USS McInerney trialed the naval MQ-8B Fire Scout helicopter UAV in counter-drug operations around the Caribbean, and became the first navy ship to use unmanned helicopters in a drug bust. It’s one member of a popular but declining ship class…

Pakistan’s Perrys: The Alamgir Class

Oliver Hazard Perry Class frigates still serve with the US Navy, but American ships have had their bow-mounted Mk.13 launch systems for SM-1 Standard air defense and RGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missiles removed. Those changes leave just torpedoes and a 76mm naval gun for offense, and the 20mm Phalanx CIWS as the ships’ main defensive weapon.

Further reports indicate that McInerney’s refurbishments are aimed at improving its anti-submarine capability only, making the term “guided missile frigate” something of a misnomer. Unless Pakistan undertakes additional approved work, its Alamgir Class will be anti-submarine frigates only, their weaponry outclassed by Pakistan’s new Chinese F-22P/ Zulfiquar Class multi-role frigates, and even its older British Type 21/ Tariq Class ships. On the other hand, the 8 planned ships will be filling an important coastal patrol and anti-submarine role, at a bargain price.

Perry class frigates also serve in the navies of Australia, Egypt, Poland, Spain, Taiwan, and Turkey. Most of those ships retain their original missile launching systems, and Australia’s ships have just finished an expensive set of deep upgrades.

Contracts and Key Events

Aug 31/10: The frigate USS McInerney is slated for inactivation, and re-commissioning.

April 20/10: Pakistan signs a contract to purchase and refurbish the USS McInnery. The purchase is free, but reported terms for the refurbishment vary from $64.77 – $78.0 million. The frigate is expected to be re-commissioned as PNS Alamgir on Aug 31/10, following refurbishments aimed at improving its anti-submarine capabilities.

Pakistan’s Defence Procurement Attache Captain Abdur Rehman reportedly inked the contract, and this is reportedly the first of a planned Pakistani fleet of 8 Perry Class frigates.

Feb 19/10: US DSCA announces [PDF] Pakistan’s official request for the initial ship, plus plus refurbishment, onboard spares, spare and repairs parts, support equipment, publications and technical data, and U.S. Government and contractor support.

The prime contractor is unknown at this time, but the estimated cost of the initial transfer plus refurbishment and support is $78 million. Implementation of this proposed sale will not require the assignment of any U.S. Government and contractor representatives to Pakistan.

The following is the internal link discussing upgrades.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/naval-forces/57076-alamgir-class-frigate.html

There seems to be a lot of confusion on the FFG-7's Pakistan is receiving from the U.S. starting this August. I have found an article dated April 26, 2010 that seems to clarify what upgrades are taking place. And Pakistan's intended purpose of them. Contrary to what most people believe including myself. They are intended as an anti-submarine Platform. They are refered to as "Alamgir Class". And Pakistan is looking to obtain 8 of them.

26-Apr-2010 14:08 EDT

On Feb 19/10, the US DSCA announced Pakistan’s official request to buy the Oliver Hazard Perry Class frigate USS McInerney [FFG 8], plus refurbishment and anti-submarine improvements. That deal is now a contract, and is reportedly the first step in an 8-ship purchase.

In 2009, USS McInerney trialed the naval MQ-8B Fire Scout helicopter UAV in counter-drug operations around the Caribbean, and became the first navy ship to use unmanned helicopters in a drug bust. It’s one member of a popular but declining ship class…

Pakistan’s Perrys: The Alamgir Class

Oliver Hazard Perry Class frigates still serve with the US Navy, but American ships have had their bow-mounted Mk.13 launch systems for SM-1 Standard air defense and RGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missiles removed. Those changes leave just torpedoes and a 76mm naval gun for offense, and the 20mm Phalanx CIWS as the ships’ main defensive weapon.

Further reports indicate that McInerney’s refurbishments are aimed at improving its anti-submarine capability only, making the term “guided missile frigate” something of a misnomer. Unless Pakistan undertakes additional approved work, its Alamgir Class will be anti-submarine frigates only, their weaponry outclassed by Pakistan’s new Chinese F-22P/ Zulfiquar Class multi-role frigates, and even its older British Type 21/ Tariq Class ships. On the other hand, the 8 planned ships will be filling an important coastal patrol and anti-submarine role, at a bargain price.

Perry class frigates also serve in the navies of Australia, Egypt, Poland, Spain, Taiwan, and Turkey. Most of those ships retain their original missile launching systems, and Australia’s ships have just finished an expensive set of deep upgrades.

Contracts and Key Events

Aug 31/10: The frigate USS McInerney is slated for inactivation, and re-commissioning.

April 20/10: Pakistan signs a contract to purchase and refurbish the USS McInnery. The purchase is free, but reported terms for the refurbishment vary from $64.77 – $78.0 million. The frigate is expected to be re-commissioned as PNS Alamgir on Aug 31/10, following refurbishments aimed at improving its anti-submarine capabilities.

Pakistan’s Defence Procurement Attache Captain Abdur Rehman reportedly inked the contract, and this is reportedly the first of a planned Pakistani fleet of 8 Perry Class frigates.

Feb 19/10: US DSCA announces [PDF] Pakistan’s official request for the initial ship, plus plus refurbishment, onboard spares, spare and repairs parts, support equipment, publications and technical data, and U.S. Government and contractor support.

The prime contractor is unknown at this time, but the estimated cost of the initial transfer plus refurbishment and support is $78 million. Implementation of this proposed sale will not require the assignment of any U.S. Government and contractor representatives to Pakistan.

so as predicted, no VLS is on cards, it will be seriously lacking any air defence system or AShW capabilities!!
:hitwall:

A small question
Is Pakistan planing to buy any stealth frigates and destroyers.
(Its a honest question don't rip me apart for this.)

Updated at: 0126 PST, Tuesday, August 31, 2010
ISLAMABAD: US will hand Pakistan Navy an advanced warship F-260 Frigate, Geo News reported.

The warship will be named ‘PNS Alamgir’ while Captain Naveed Ashraf will take pride of becoming its maiden Commanding Officer.

Frigate F-260 was named after a US Commodore Oliver Hazardperry Class, which Pakistan will get amid a celebration with Pakistan envoy to US Hussain Haqqani being ‘Chief Guest’ to be held in US State Florida.

Many a navy forces worldwide are equipped with Oliver Hazardperry Class Frigate F-260 warship, which is also meant for maritime security purposes, sources told media.

Meanwhile, Pakistan warship crew, meant for new Frigate F-260, has arrived in US and is being trained at a Navy Port Station in US.

US to hand Pakistan Navy F-260 Frigate - GEO.tv

A small question
Is Pakistan planing to buy any stealth frigates and destroyers.
(Its a honest question don't rip me apart for this.)

no one is ever going to rip you apart as far as you are longing for knowledge on this forum. :cheers:

as for the Stealt Frigates and destroyers, as of yet, there is no real Stealth destroyer or frigate in exixtance like the F-22;)
it is only tha some manufacturere are incorporating stealth features to significantly reduce RCS of the boat and inducde other such meansures to avoid radar or minimize radar contact.

as of these, PN is keenly intrested in the Turkish Milgem Program.
these are corvettes based on modren warfare design and inducting varios stealth features.
Milgem4.jpg

moreover PN is also rumored to be looking for heavier F-22 with stealth features or even the Type-54 from china which also is stealthier but not stealth.

i hope you can understand this difference!!
:tup:

regards!

Back
Top Bottom