What's new

Nowruz: Iranian New Year

Vernal Equinox has been noted/celebrated for the past +5.000 years. People saw flowers, grass, ... blossom after winter at this time, so of course they associated it with a kind of renewal/rebirth. Also days became longer, more sun... which are important parameters for peasants and tribes. So it doesn't make sense to talk about who the first ones were to celebrate vernal equinox, since most likely everybody did it one way or another (as a minimum they know it occured, but not necessarily the exact time/day).

Regardless, celebrating Nowruz as we see it today are directly Zoroastrian traditions, using fire as a central element (I believe that is also why some religious figures in IR are against it, but it is good to see that people look past that and acknowledge their common heritage). To my knowledge people celebrate it slightly differently, since some Islamic elements were added (originally people used wine on their haftsin tables, but many use vinegar now instead), but I believe both ways of celebration are performed today.

I think it's a solar calender not a lunar one.

Unlike the Chinese and Islamic calender, the Iranian is indeed solar, see here for a list Solar calendar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Indeed, thats why I said that the celebration in Turkic cultures is blended with Persians elements, but in essence the whole notion of the celebration is hardly unique to Persian culture and we find the examples of it even in Siberia and North America.

Indeed, thats why I said that the celebration in Turkic cultures is blended with Persians elements, but in essence the whole notion of the celebration is hardly unique to Persian culture and we find the examples of it even in Siberia and North America.

Its unique to Persian culture; in its current state it is. Its not blended with Persian elements, but Persian in its whole!

sorry for that . i just mixed solar and lunar meanings ... indeed i meant the solar calender !!!

THANKS FOR REMINDING ...

This Level and denial is truly pathetic. To come a Nowruz thread and claim it is not a Persian culture truly shows the level of brainwashed in these people. Nowruz is as Persian as it gets, Our brothers and sister in Azerbijan know very well this fact but once every now and then a emotion kid comes and tries to distort the truth. If you believe in your Idea that Nowruz is not Persian so strongly, then take your debate to the stage and then you will realize what an idiot you're making yourself.

What makes Nowruz a Persian culture is not that date, nobody said 22nd of March is a Persian culture it is the date in which a Persian celebration is celebrated, this is mark by using sabzi, hazi firooz and others. what make nowruz a Persian culture is how that date is celebrated. if Turks celebrated 22nd march in their own way then no one would say it is Persian but the fact you're celebrating it as Persian have celebrated it for 3000 years shows you're just too blinded by hate to want to admit to the fact it is Persian. so just grow up and stop with your nonsense comments because you're ruining the image of Azaris.

Abii jan

I understand you're in love with Persian culture, so am I. I don't think Persian get any more nationalistic than I but I would never make my family or anyone remove the quran or any other holy book from their haft seen table or whatever.
Religion is something people turn to for comfort, I know you may be an atheist but you cannot assume the is no god because you do not believe in god. I know you're just trying to remove the quran from the haft seen table because quran has not place in that particular place. but remember, your grandmother may have a bond with a certain religion that you and I don't understand.

I was like you for a while, but now I try and encourage people to become religious because I want them to live a comfortable life believing there is after life even if I don't believe it myself.

There is nothing I would hate more than to make someone who is religious become an atheist because then you're taking away their hopes that one day they will be reunited with those who they loved and they lost.

Please consider what I say.
And I myself are an agnostic.

A beautiful picture.

2jg595i.jpg

Nowruz7010CyrusDamvand3.jpg

nowruz_greeting.jpg

Abii jan

I understand you're in love with Persian culture, so am I. I don't think Persian get any more nationalistic than I but I would never make my family or anyone remove the quran or any other holy book from their haft seen table or whatever.
Religion is something people turn to for comfort, I know you may be an atheist but you cannot assume the is no god because you do not believe in god. I know you're just trying to remove the quran from the haft seen table because quran has not place in that particular place. but remember, your grandmother may have a bond with a certain religion that you and I don't understand.

I was like you for a while, but now I try and encourage people to become religious because I want them to live a comfortable life believing there is after life even if I don't believe it myself.

There is nothing I would hate more than to make someone who is religious become an atheist because then you're taking away their hopes that one day they will be reunited with those who they loved and they lost.

Please consider what I say.
And I myself are an agnostic.

Well I don`t have a problem with religion. Even though I`m an atheist, I fully understand why religion is needed and why people are attracted by it. I also don't have a problem with belief in god. My problem is a certain foreign byproduct of an invasion from 1400 years ago. It has no place in an Iranian family's household. My entire family lives an Islam free life, apart from one of my grandmothers. I never forced her to become something else, but she has no right to put a quran on a haft seen table that represents a holy and beautiful day in the Iranian calendar, specially when nobody else in the room agrees with this practice. That's why she took it off. Even my grandfather hates it. She can have the quran hidden away somewhere for her personal use, but not on a haft seen table.

When it comes to other religions I have no problems.

2-3 pages ago we were talking about ajil (trail mix). Today I was on the hunt for some proper ajil and I discovered a store called Bulk Barn. If you live in Canada you need to visit this place. They have every god damn candy and dry nuts/fruits on the planet. I found candies I used to eat as a kid when I was back in Iran!!! Didn't know these were still made. Anyway, found what I was looking for. There was this trail mix called "the Prince of Persia trail mix" and it even had white mulburries in it. Unfortunately it also had small bits of chocolate in it as well (wtf?!? Damn white people). It was also expensive at 11 dollars/400 grams.

The hunt for cheap Iranian ajil continues

Surenas your mom is Kurdish?

For some reason kurds seem to always have the biggest fires during char shanbe suri/Norouz.

@Abii,

You gotta turn down the hate for Islam.

Muslims are people too, asshole. :lol:

At the end of the day there was something in Islam that impressed your ancestors.

Islam has nothing to do with Arabs, and you have to make that observation.

Even If I think along your lines, I will say, created by Arabs and refined by the Parsiwan.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Abii,

You gotta turn down the hate for Islam.

Muslims are people too, asshole. :lol:

At the end of the day there was something in Islam that impressed your ancestors.

Islam has nothing to do with Arabs, and you have to make that observation.

Even If I think along your lines, I will say, created by Arabs and refined by the Parsiwan.

lol
for starters my ancestors fought the foreign ideology for close to a century. After a while though you tend to get tired of having your tongue cut off, paying jaziya, generally living as a slave in your own nation etc... Plus, those that became muslims willingly must have had their reasons, doesn't mean they were right. In 79 people, for some odd reason, decided to have a dumb revolution. Now 90 percent of them are regretting it, 8 percent of them like to say the revolution was defeated and we simply lost control to the current apes in power (so basically not willing to admit they were wrong) and the other 2 percent are the apes in power.

My ancestors have done good and bad. What I'm ranting against is one of the bad ones.

And Islam has everything to do with arabs. It's like saying Zoroastrianism has nothing to do with Iranians. Don't be illogical.

Yes, my mom is from Kermanshah. This was being held just outside of Kermanshah.

nice

It seems Kurds have the fire set up at every celebration, not just during 4 shanber soori. Makes total sense if that's the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom