What's new

Narendra Modi raises his voice against cow slaughter

Fahad Khan 2

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
NEW DELHI: BJP's PM candidate Narendra Modi has made a not-so-subtle shift in his campaign pitch. A day after Congress chief Sonia Gandhi asked the Muslim community to vote for secularism to defeat Modi, he began talking about cow slaughter, a key Hindutva agenda. Modi in a campaign meeting in Bihar's Nawada district deplored what he termed the Centre's encouragement of cow slaughter by subsidising slaughter houses for export of meat.

Export of cow meat is banned in the country and only buffalo meat is exported. But Modi lashed out at the UPA government accusing it of encouraging export of cow meat.

Modi said "the Delhi government doesn't want any kind of revolution. It wants a pink revolution." In an attack targeting the Yadav votebank of Lalu Prasad, he said that those backing the UPA should consider whether they want to back a revolution in which they kill livestock.

RJD chief Lalu Prasad unleashed a counter attack claiming that Modi is "trying to ferment trouble between communities, Biharwasis should be careful". "We must make sure that such a fascist force is shown the door in the state," he told ET.

Prasad's core political support stems from a powerful Muslim-Yadav combination, and this appeal on cow slaughter is aimed at fracturing that combine. Slaughterhouses are generally seen as a preserve of Qureshi community among Muslims.

Narendra Modi raises his voice against cow slaughter - The Economic Times on Mobile

Modi's country; I'm pretty sure Modi's allowed to voice his opinion there.

Open a thread about this if an Indian politician voices the same opinions about cow slaughter in Pakistan :coffee:

Modi's country; I'm pretty sure Modi's allowed to voice his opinion there.

Open a thread about this if an Indian politician voices the same opinions about cow slaughter in Pakistan :coffee:

Most Indians eat beef, and Indians mostly eat beef. The principled non eaters of beef are a minority in India.

The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation UN (FAO) report titled Livestock Information, Sector Analysis and Policy Branch says the largest consumed meat in India is beef. The total consumption of beef in India per year is 26 lakh tonnes, as compared to 6 lakh tonnes of mutton and 14 lakh tonnes of pork. It is clearly the common choice of meat for the Indian population. In fact after meeting the local consumption, a United States Food and Drug Administration ( USFDA) data says India exports 1.28 million tonnes of beef, making it the third largest exporter in the world.

Most Indians eat beef, and Indians mostly eat beef. The principled non eaters of beef are a minority in India.

That is sheer nonsense. 40% of Indians are strict vegetarians. Apart from the Muslims and Christians, the rest of communities in India who do eat meat, mostly eat chicken as their preferred meat and that too sparingly compared to the rest of the world. Per capita consumption of all forms of meat in India is 4.4 kg per person per year. How does that tally with your assertion of Indians mostly eat beef?

That is sheer nonsense. 40% of Indians are strict vegetarians. Apart from the Muslims and Christians, the rest of communities in India who do eat meat, mostly eat chicken as their preferred meat and that too sparingly compared to the rest of the world. Per capita consumption of all forms of meat in India is 4.4 kg per person per year. How does that tally with your assertion of Indians mostly eat beef?

Whats the problem in eating beef anyways,its a free country ,i will do as I please.

I am gonna vote for bjp but this is height of bullshit

Whats the problem in eating beef anyways,its a free country ,i will do as I please.

I am gonna vote for bjp but this is height of bullshit

What is the height of bullshit? What you consume as beef in India is anyway carabeef (buffalo meat). All I contested was Spark's claim that India is a major beef eating country. Do not go murdering people around in the false belief that anything goes in India and it is a free country bullshit.

What is the height of bullshit? What you consume as beef in India is anyway carabeef (buffalo meat). All I contested was Spark's claim that India is a major beef eating country. Do not go murdering people around in the false belief that anything goes in India and it is a free country bullshit.

Murdering and the notion of free country is entirely different. Do whatever you like, without affecting the lives of peoples around you, that is the notion of a free country,

Murdering and the notion of free country is entirely different. Do whatever you like, without affecting the lives of peoples around you, that is the notion of a free country,

It is not just murdering, there are other laws too. Cow slaughter is anyways illegal in most states in India and that is what Modi was hinting at. Most Saudis feel free as per their cultural norms in Saudi Arabia too. As do Americans in their country which has more do and don'ts than India. So we do restrict ourselves as per the cultural norms and legal framework of the region of the world we live in.

Gau-salas instead of Yateem khanas? is that what Modi is hinting?

It is not just murdering, there are other laws too. Cow slaughter is anyways illegal in most states in India and that is what Modi was hinting at. Most Saudis feel free as per their cultural norms in Saudi Arabia too. As do Americans in their country which has more do and don'ts than India. So we do restrict ourselves as per the cultural norms and legal framework of the region of the world we live in.

Saudi Arabia is a Muslim nation, and they reserve the right to exercise Islamic teachings in their state constitution. And enlighten me about the laws in US where the follower of minority religion is prosecuted or marginalized because of going against the cultural values of the majority, by the state?

Back
Top Bottom