What's new

Myths about the Urdu language

I have seen Indians take quite a bit of interest in Urdu... well its clear Indian Muslims would... in Hyderabad our people almost totally speak urdu while the others speak telugu.

However this interest in Urdu includes Hindus. Many mushaira's you have these Hindus who are excellent shair's. We have not taken as much interest in Hindi. Even Indian Muslims have totally refused to accept it. I think there should be a cultural exchange program where we share each others languages and try to learn them.

Hyderabadis speak Telugu as second language because they live in Andhra Pradesh. My Hyderabadi friends speak fluent Telugu.

Urdu in an old Iraqi dialect means camp (military camp) and since Urdu was first used in military camps hence it's name Lisan - e - urdu لسان اردو or zuban - e Urdu زبان اردو meaning tongue of the camp or the language of the camp (military camp). This info i read many years back in an Arabic dictionary for old a'amiyah words (words used in different dialects of Arabic) which I found in the "Association for the Protection of Arabic Language" and the word "Urdu" was listed in that dictionary.

Urdu is a mix of Arabic, Persian, Turkish, and Sanskrit (or hindi). But in the early days Arabic had the upper hand followed by Persian for the number of words of Arabic and Persian origin in Urdu unlike now unfortunately when English and Hindi words are more commonly being used.

pakistani punjabi doest even have a script. it uses persian script and call khar as ghar and is 40 % urdu

open another thread about punjabi, this is dedicated to Urdu,

But I must correct you here.
The old language was not Punjabi, rather it is Saraiki.
Remember, when there was no punjab, there WAS multan !
Most of the historic poetry which you refer to bulleh shah, etc etc etc, are actually not in pubjabi but Saraiki dialect.

open another thread about punjabi, this is dedicated to Urdu,

But I must correct you here.
The old language was not Punjabi, rather it is Saraiki.
Remember, when there was no punjab, there WAS multan !
Most of the historic poetry which you refer to bulleh shah, etc etc etc, are actually not in pubjabi but Saraiki dialect.

Jhangochi is not older than Saraiki?

Urdu in an old Iraqi dialect means camp (military camp) and since Urdu was first used in military camps hence it's name Lisan - e - urdu لسان اردو or zuban - e Urdu زبان اردو meaning tongue of the camp or the language of the camp (military camp). This info i read many years back in an Arabic dictionary for old a'amiyah words (words used in different dialects of Arabic) which I found in the "Association for the Protection of Arabic Language" and the word "Urdu" was listed in that dictionary.

Urdu is a mix of Arabic, Persian, Turkish, and Sanskrit (or hindi). But in the early days Arabic had the upper hand followed by Persian for the number of words of Arabic and Persian origin in Urdu unlike now unfortunately when English and Hindi words are more commonly being used.

But Ordu is a Turkic word. In early days Urdu was known as Hindawi. Urdu follows basic language and grammar of Khadiboli of Uttar Pradesh mixed with mainly words of Persian,Turkish and Arabic.

This great language is a casualty of Partition. It is more or less banished in Hindustan. Wiped off in BD. Recently recognized as one of the state languages of W Bengal. And in Pakistan it has been heavily Persianised.

This great language is a casualty of Partition. It is more or less banished in Hindustan. Wiped off in BD. Recently recognized as one of the state languages of W Bengal. And in Pakistan it has been heavily Persianised.

Urdu is the official language in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Uttarakhand, West Bengal and one of the 22 official languages of India.

Disagree.
Urdu has more speakers then most European languages.
It is the official language of Pakistan and one of the official languages of India.
It is the language of millions of expats and have speakers in just about ever country on earth.

Urdu "Persianised"? It was heavily influeced by Persian to begin with; it anything it's more localised in Pakistan...meaning it absorbed a fair amount of words from Sindhi, Punjabi etc; mostly colloquialism and slang.

Besides, it's not a dying language by a thousand miles. If anything, it got the honour of being the most widely spoken tongue in one of the 3 main countries of South Asia; something that would never have happened in an non-Partitioned India. And it will only keep on growing as far as Pakistan is concerned.

Disagree.
Urdu has more speakers then most European languages.
It is the official language of Pakistan and one of the official languages of India.
It is the language of millions of expats and have speakers in just about ever country on earth.
MY FRIEND URDU IS DYING IN INDIA .FORGET BOLLYWOOD(HINDUSTANI) .TODAY YOUNG CHILDREN IN INDIA NOT ABLE TO UNDERSTAND URDU(LIKE PAKISTANI TALK IN TALK SHOW OR JODHA AKBAR TYPE) .I SAW,YOUR TALK SHOW I AM NOT UNDERSTAND MANY WORDS IN YOUR TALK SHOW AND I AM 16 & HALF .TODAY MOSTLY INDIAN SPEAK THEIR LOCAL LANGUAGE OR HINGLISH(HINDI + ENGLISH).AUR MERE BHAI URDU SIRF NAAM KA HI NATIONAL LANGUAGE HAI USKO BOLNE AUR SAMGHNE WALO KI SANKHYA BAHUT TEJI SE GHATTI JA RAHI HAI INDIA ME.

Pakistanis used to take Pride in 1950s when According to them, Bollywood actors had to learn the National Language of Pakistan to bag Roles in those Stupid Mughal Kind of Films. Today Urdu is Bastardized by Bollywood and nearly Killed. Today Millions of Pakistanis Speak Bollywood Hindi instead of Urdu.

In Short, Urdu is Dying. :lol:

1. Except in J&K Urdu is one of the state languages in certain Indian states mentioned in a post above. However, it has vanished from Bollywood. Literature and poetry, books and periodicals, TV channels and news- papers are getting fewer in Urdu in India. Post-Partition hasn't produced many literary giants in Urdu.

2. In Pakistan, let me quote one example. The national anthem. How many Pakistanis truly understand the anthem? That is because it is heavily dosed with Persian.

3.Immediately after Partition, an anthem was adopted in E Bengal. It was taught and sung in schools. The wording could be understood by Bengalee and Urdu speakers alike. It began, " Pakistan Zindabad, Pakistan Zindabad/ Purabo Banglar Shaymolima, etc". Unilateral rejection of this song and adoption of the new anthem which no Bengali speaker undrsood, could have been a cause of heart burning.

once a pakistani diplomat visited khalsa college amritsar and started his lecture in urdu instead of punjabi. when he used words like mare "ahle khana" bhi anah chahti this etc everyone laughed. and here are pakistanis saying sikhs ask them to speak in urdu. are these people born liars. in whole of his army life my dad couldnt speak even hindi properly with others.

once a pakistani diplomat visited khalsa college amritsar and started his lecture in urdu instead of punjabi. when he used words like mare "ahle khana" bhi anah chahti this etc everyone laughed. and here are pakistanis saying sikhs ask them to speak in urdu. are these people born liars. in whole of his army life my dad couldnt speak even hindi properly with others.

true SIKHS destroy urdu! murder it!

by words like ROOJ ROOJ, FHIR FHIR, TEJ TEJ & stuff! hence sikhs can't speak urdu good for them. but sadly everyone makes fun of SIKH jokes in india. its sad.

MY FRIEND URDU IS DYING IN INDIA .FORGET BOLLYWOOD(HINDUSTANI) .TODAY YOUNG CHILDREN IN INDIA NOT ABLE TO UNDERSTAND URDU(LIKE PAKISTANI TALK IN TALK SHOW OR JODHA AKBAR TYPE) .I SAW,YOUR TALK SHOW I AM NOT UNDERSTAND MANY WORDS IN YOUR TALK SHOW AND I AM 16 & HALF .TODAY MOSTLY INDIAN SPEAK THEIR LOCAL LANGUAGE OR HINGLISH(HINDI + ENGLISH).AUR MERE BHAI URDU SIRF NAAM KA HI NATIONAL LANGUAGE HAI USKO BOLNE AUR SAMGHNE WALO KI SANKHYA BAHUT TEJI SE GHATTI JA RAHI HAI INDIA ME.

yaar yeh SANKHYA kaun hai??? koi nayi actress???

Back
Top Bottom