What's new

Muslims invented alcohol

Hahaha!! FULL OF MYSELF ME: "They loved my post because it is authentic! and stolen from google search itslef!" :P
So now, if people like Zarvan search online, they will think that Muslims really did invent alcohol! :blink:

Distillation, the means of separating liquids through differences in their boiling points, was invented around the year 800 by Islam's foremost scientist, Jabir ibn Hayyan, who transformed alchemy into chemistry, inventing many of the basic processes and apparatus still in use today - liquefaction, crystallisation, distillation, purification, oxidisation, evaporation and filtration. As well as discovering sulphuric and nitric acid, he invented the alembic still, giving the world intense rosewater and other perfumes and alcoholic spirits (although drinking them is haram, or forbidden, in Islam). Ibn Hayyan emphasised systematic experimentation and was the founder of modern chemistry.

I think the thread was meant to say this

Discovered the use of ' alcohol in medicine and was the first to prepare sulfuric acid

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/members-club/182788-muslims-invented-alcohol-21.html#ixzz26xVPBXrn

Ar-Razi was the first person to introduce the use of alcohol (Arabic Al-Kuhl) for medical purposes. He was also an expert surgeon and was the first to use opium for anaesthesia.
Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/members-club/182788-muslims-invented-alcohol.html#ixzz26v8IJbcd

Not sure how the topic changed to Muslims INVENTED alcohol?! :flame:

Nahin yara! What was humanity doing before Islam? There must've been people like me mixing sugar with stuff and tasting every byproduct! :P

Hmmm...did they get diabetes ?! :P

You guys want to see a pissing contest? Let's open two threads:

1. What did the Arabs invent?
2. What did the Persians invent?

And see how murderous that thread would be :D

I gotta go! Need a fresh mind when I am in lab tomorrow morning...happy posting!

You guys want to see a pissing contest? Let's open two threads:

1. What did the Arabs invent?
2. What did the Persians invent?

And see how murderous that thread would be :D

Thou shall not create mischief ;)

Well didn't they?

-Can't be bothered to read OP and the rest of the thread-

Dude simple fact is arabs were drnking wine before Islam so how could something that exist before Islam was invented by Muslims?

Islam did not prohibited it in the beginning of islam because people had habit to drink it alot and they say old habit die hard so it was forbidden later on when drunk people attended mosqsue and were out of control

It can be said that citric acid was invented/discovered by Muslim chemist jabir bin hayaan which is fact but it don't make sense to say that Alcohol invented by Muslim because it is not even invention and this statement is as valid as saying theory of evolution is there in Islam

Oh, it does seem plausible that Muslims invented it. But perhaps not the sort of Muslim that Pakistanis nowadays would recognize as Muslim; this was during the period of free inquiry in Islam, before Al-Ghazali shut down inquiry into the natural sciences.

Think about what would happen if distillation wasn't discovered centuries ago but by a Pakistani today. Wouldn't the reaction be, "A new temptation to get drunk, even stronger than wine? He can't possibly be a Muslim..."?

So for Pakistanis to celebrate the "Muslim invention of alcohol" rings awfully hollow: there's no inspiration for further accomplishment inside, no place to go, just an excuse to wallow in the glory of past ages while the path to free thought and further modernity is rapidly being bulldozed by the likes of the Taliban and the glorification of nuclear-armed militarism.

I heard a lot of People on this forum say Al-Ghazali is the reason Muslim empires ceased having good scientists but I still don't understand it. Was he anti-science or he just didn't think it important? Also why did the Muslims at the time even follow him if he was leading them to ignorance?

Cheers!

I heard a lot of People on this forum say Al-Ghazali is the reason Muslim empires ceased having good scientists but I still don't understand it. Was he anti-science or he just didn't think it important? Also why did the Muslims at the time even follow him if he was leading them to ignorance?

Cheers!

Well a bit of both...From what I read, it seemed like he just didn't think that Islam should be questioned and whatever is being preached/taught should be swallowed as a whole...

I am not sure why people keep quoting him if that is who he was! I never bother reading too much into philosophy - doesn't make sense to me though I am doing a PhD (doctorate of philosophy)!! Lolzz...my philosophy is science and I love it when it falls hand in hand with Islam...don't ask me when it doesn't ...

Not all Muslims in Pakistan are like the minorities which your media loves to show over and over!
A red herring!
Wiki source of interpretation for religion?
Shoot the messenger!

then when that was accepted the trashing goes to Pakistan? I wonder what will happen when THAT homework is settled?
Of course, because with all the issues Pakistan has today the OP's purpose is to roll in past glories to cover up the stink of today, as a dog rolls in offal to hide his own scent.

Back
Top Bottom