RabzonKhan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Muslim Woman Denied Job Over Head Scarf Wins in Supreme Court

NY Times
By ADAM LIPTAKJUNE 1, 2015

02COURTWEB-master675.jpg

Samantha Elauf, her mother, Majda Elauf, and David Lopez, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's general counsel, after the Supreme Court heard oral arguments in her case against Abercrombie & Fitch in February.

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday revived an employment discrimination lawsuit against Abercrombie & Fitch, which had refused to hire a Muslim woman because she wore a head scarf.

“This is really easy,” Justice Antonin Scalia said in announcing the decision from the bench.

The company at least suspected that the woman, Samantha Elauf, wore the head scarf for religious reasons, Justice Scalia said, and its decision not to hire her was motivated by a desire to avoid accommodating her religious practice. That was enough, he concluded, to allow her to sue under federal employment discrimination law.

The vote was 8-to-1, with Justice Clarence Thomas dissenting.

The case started in 2008, when Ms. Elauf, then 17, applied for a job in a children’s clothing store owned by Abercrombie & Fitch at the Woodland Hills Mall in Tulsa, Okla. She wore a black head scarf but did not say why.

The company declined to hire her, saying her scarf clashed with the company’s dress code, which called for a “classic East Coast collegiate style.” After the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission sued on Ms. Elauf’s behalf, the company said it had no reason to know that Ms. Elauf’s head scarf, a hijab, was required by her faith.

In its Supreme Court brief in the case, E.E.O.C. v. Abercrombie & Fitch Stores, No. 14-86, the company argued that job applicants should not be allowed “to remain silent and to assume that the employer recognizes the religious motivations behind their fashion decisions.”

After the case was argued in February, an Abercrombie spokesman said the company “has a longstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion, and consistent with the law has granted numerous religious accommodations when requested, including hijabs.”

The Supreme Court ruled that Ms. Elauf did not have to make a specific request for a religious accommodation to obtain relief under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits religious discrimination in hiring.

At the trial, Ms. Elauf said she loved movies, shopping, sushi and the mall. “It’s like my second home,” she said. Her experience with Abercrombie, she said, made her feel “disrespected because of my religious beliefs.”

“I was born in the United States,” she said, “and I thought I was the same as everyone else.”

A jury awarded Ms. Elauf $20,000.

But the United States Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit, in Denver, ruled for the company.

“Ms. Elauf never informed Abercrombie prior to its hiring decision that she wore her head scarf, or ‘hijab,’ for religious reasons,” Judge Jerome A. Holmes wrote for the court.

Yep, that’s the America I know. I have been here since 2009 I have never faced any discrimination.
technically she is right.. but what if workspace demands you to wear in certain way...

Oh the shear ignorance

This is a burqa:

Burqa_1428680c.jpg

Now show me how the 2 are similar

As for "unpleasantness" ...YOU gotta be kidding! Covering herself up is unpleasant for you maybe!

whoa........!!!!!!!! it looks like a body bag.

the stages...
OMG! The disgusting thought! I have been doing Hijab since I was in my O levels and till now I have no intention to use a burqa I have done niqab as my own experiment but that is really narrow minded and disgusting of you! Judgemental and stereotyping isnt going to show you as an advanced creature of earth!

technically she is right.. but what if workspace demands you to wear in certain way...
Give me 1 scenario where a hijab wont fit...even in bakeries or sterile rooms we have to use hairnets and full body suit ...hijab doesnt get in the way of that...

whoa........!!!!!!!! it looks like a body bag.
Yea compare that to pic no.1 some people see no difference and hallucinate their own image

And then people have problem when Shariah or whatnot is being asked of them but they feel no shame in telling others what they should wear or shouldnt...

Well in that case I think the company would had won the case.

Bty, I’m a liberal guy and in my family no one wears head scarf, but I strongly feel those who wear head scarf should not be discriminated.

Back
Top Bottom