What's new

More LCA Tejas For The IAF: $5.2 Billion Deal For Mark 1A Variant To Be Signed By December,

Cabinet Committee On Security Clears Purchase Of 83 Tejas Mark-1A Fighters For Indian Air Force
By Swarajya Staff
January 13, 2021 at 4:31 PM

The Cabinet Committee on Security, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has cleared the purchase of 83 Tejas Mark-1A fighters by the Indian Air Force.

Remember my challenge @Yasser76
:azn:

Ah yes, almost forget maybe 23rd or 24th Internet celebration of "clearance" and "confirmation" for MK1A LCA. Thanks. Looks forward to same post again in a couple of months.

Enjoy

48,000 crore INR, that is $6.56 billion for 83 pieces or $79 million per aircraft. I thought the reason for the last few years of delay was HAL was quoting $65 million per unit which IAF thought was too expensive. Can someone explain what finally happened then?

80 million dollars for a tejas...what can i say, pls buy more.

If you actually bothered to read any of the sources I posted you would realize what you’re saying is false, this is why I posted Indian sources only, but alas the best source is what you say is it not? I can find no press releases, no documents, no statements, nothing to back up what you say except from this photo you posted which further proves my point that making a bolt and a nut doesn’t make an aircraft indigenous. The facts I posted are all correct as of 2019 and they remain as such unless proven otherwise. If not, please give sources.

Also block 3 is the current block of the thunder, it already exists and flies, unlike the Mk1A. and it is still cheaper than the MK1A by a major margin despite similar capabilities and a better payload atm due to a longer service. The thunder has all you mentioned and more plus better BVR tech.
The Mk1A simply cannot Be flying at the time you say it would, even the Indian defense minister admitted it. Nor is the production capability at 16, the last report of HAL wanting to upgrade it to 16 from 8 was in March 2020 (the source I gave) and there’s been nothing to confirm that it’s been done so.
Edit: Also even if the first squadron is delivered by 2025, Thunder Block 3 will have 4 squadrons by then and Block 4 will probably be flying, since the first squadron is to be delivered this year. If they’re the same why is there a 5 year gap? Will they be the same after that 5 year gap?

Lastly, the thunder is as much made in Pakistan as Tejas is in India. Apart from the design phase which China helped with majorly. Though that doesn’t matter at the end of the day when these things fly.
Lastly as the tweet above shows the Mk1A is even less Indian made at 50%.

Please don’t talk about things you know absolutely nothing about and if you’re going to engage in a conversation at least present sources to back up your claims. Otherwise kindly go to a fan page and not a defence Forum.
Regards.

Again correction is needed!
If you actually bothered to read any of the sources I posted you would realize what you’re saying is false, this is why I posted Indian sources only, but alas the best source is what you say is it not? I can find no press releases, no documents, no statements, nothing to back up what you say except from this photo you posted which further proves my point that making a bolt and a nut doesn’t make an aircraft indigenous. The facts I posted are all correct as of 2019 and they remain as such unless proven otherwise. If not, please give sources.

Again, it is about one squadron.... Please learn the difference between squadron and a aircraft delivery.

According to the plan, the first flight of the Tejas Mark 1A will take place by the end of 2022 and the first squadron would be completed by 2024.

------------------------
Also block 3 is the current block of the thunder, it already exists and flies, unlike the Mk1A. and it is still cheaper than the MK1A by a major margin despite similar capabilities and a better payload atm due to a longer service. The thunder has all you mentioned and more plus better BVR tech.
The Mk1A simply cannot Be flying at the time you say it would, even the Indian defense minister admitted it. Nor is the production capability at 16, the last report of HAL wanting to upgrade it to 16 from 8 was in March 2020 (the source I gave) and there’s been nothing to confirm that it’s been done so.
Edit: Also even if the first squadron is delivered by 2025, Thunder Block 3 will have 4 squadrons by then and Block 4 will probably be flying, since the first squadron is to be delivered this year. If they’re the same why is there a 5 year gap? Will they be the same after that 5 year gap?

1. If chinese can make J10/20 then it is not a tough for chinese to make a lighter aircraft for PAF.
2. What design advantage? really? can you prove technically not emotionally?
3. HAL tejas Mk1 will also have AA missile range with over 150 KM.(Indian made), One indian made BVR missile is already flying 110 KM (Range).
4. Production would be 16. (Read the above source)
5. HAL tejas Mk2 (2027 maximum) will come when Jf block 4.

The major difference is that Role. Jf 17 will gonna to use as front line being a less capable then modern aircrafts wherein IAF with the same capabilities of aircraft (HAL tejas) would gonna to use for defence role. If jF 17 was too good then PAF was not looking for Su 35, J 10 etc... for front line duty, actually PAF needs much better aircraft.
--------------------------
Lastly, the thunder is as much made in Pakistan as Tejas is in India. Apart from the design phase which China helped with majorly. Though that doesn’t matter at the end of the day when these things fly.

You are making joke of yourself actually. JF 17 is developed by chinese for PAF with financially partnership and based on requirements of PAF. Yes, Pakistani engineers were also involve because it was developing for PAF by Chinese. Being a good business, the chinese made a aircraft for you. It is more comparable to Su 30 mKi (Made by india and Pakistan).

Please don’t talk about things you know absolutely nothing about and if you’re going to engage in a conversation at least present sources to back up your claims. Otherwise kindly go to a fan page and not a defence Forum.

FAN boy? Please the read properly and get the correct information's then claims. Thanks

Again correction is needed!

Again, it is about one squadron.... Please learn the difference between squadron and a aircraft delivery.

According to the plan, the first flight of the Tejas Mark 1A will take place by the end of 2022 and the first squadron would be completed by 2024.

------------------------

1. If chinese can make J10/20 then it is not a tough for chinese to make a lighter aircraft for PAF.
2. What design advantage? really? can you prove technically not emotionally?
3. HAL tejas Mk1 will also have AA missile range with over 150 KM.(Indian made), One indian made BVR missile is already flying 110 KM (Range).
4. Production would be 16. (Read the above source)
5. HAL tejas Mk2 (2027 maximum) will come when Jf block 4.

The major difference is that Role. Jf 17 will gonna to use as front line being a less capable then modern aircrafts wherein IAF with the same capabilities of aircraft (HAL tejas) would gonna to use for defence role. If jF 17 was too good then PAF was not looking for Su 35, J 10 etc... for front line duty, actually PAF needs much better aircraft.
--------------------------

You are making joke of yourself actually. JF 17 is developed by chinese for PAF with financially partnership and based on requirements of PAF. Yes, Pakistani engineers were also involve because it was developing for PAF by Chinese. Being a good business, the chinese made a aircraft for you. It is more comparable to Su 30 mKi (Made by india and Pakistan).

FAN boy? Please the read properly and get the correct information's then claims. Thanks

Since you lack even the most basic knowledge about what you’re trying to prove, I’ve decided not to respond to you further, if you had read your own sources you’d realize they back my point and not yours. You also completely ignored what I’m saying and just repeated the “China made thunder bohoo” point. Didn’t even bother to actually refute anything I said and just brought in other common knowledge.

How hard is it to understand that “more of the The thunder is built in Pakistan then the Tejas is built in India”? Why do you keep ignoring this and just saying the thunder is Chinese? By that logic the Tejas is not Indian. If I recall correctly 62%+ of the thunder is made in Pakistan while only 50% of Tejas Mk1A. Are basic numbers too hard?

also like how your tone switched from 20 to 16 jets a year (which is what I had been saying). You also confirmed that the first squadron of Tejas will be here in 2025 (the first block 3 flew in 2019-20), by which time there will be 5 squadrons of block 3, again confirming my point. You didn’t refute the price, nor did you refute the fact that the BVR capability which is Yet to be added to the Tejas is still inferior to the thunders.

The fact that you compared an MKi to a thunder just proves how little knowledge you have about the discussion, please. Stop.

you said thunder is less capable than modern aircraft? My guy, it’s equally, if not more, capable than your Tejas, cheaper, readily available. What more do you need?

My assumption was correct. Another fan boy with zero knowledge.
Regards.

Last edited:
Since you lack even the most basic knowledge about what you’re trying to prove, I’ve decided not to respond to you further, if you had read your own sources you’d realize they back my point and not yours. You also completely ignored what I’m saying and just repeated the “China made thunder bohoo” point. Didn’t even bother to actually refute anything I said and just brought in other common knowledge.

How hard is it to understand that “more of the The thunder is built in Pakistan then the Tejas is built in India”? Why do you keep ignoring this and just saying the thunder is Chinese? By that logic the Tejas is not Indian. If I recall correctly 62%+ of the thunder is made in Pakistan while only 50% of Tejas Mk1A. Are basic numbers too hard?

also like how your tone switched from 20 to 16 jets a year (which is what I had been saying). You also confirmed that the first squadron of Tejas will be here in 2025 (the first block 3 flew in 2019-20), by which time there will be 5 squadrons of block 3, again confirming my point. You didn’t refute the price, nor did you refute the fact that the BVR capability which is Yet to be added to the Tejas is still inferior to the thunders.

The fact that you compared an MKi to a thunder just proves how little knowledge you have about the discussion, please. Stop.

you said thunder is less capable than modern aircraft? My guy, it’s equally, if not more, capable than your Tejas, cheaper, readily available. What more do you need?

My assumption was correct. Another fan boy with zero knowledge.
Regards.

Thanks GOD! 1st time I am completely agreed with you.
----------------------------------------------------

1. India is manufacturing the aircrafts from the past 50 years. Manufacturing of aircraft is a not special thing now a days.
2. By the logic if HAL tejas is not indian then Jf 17 can't be chinese made because it is used British injection seat, russian engine, and few parts from another countries. The same goes to SAB Gripen, EF fighter etc...
----------------------

1. article said that 1st squadron will be there in 2024.
2. About AA Missile over 150 + range already shared the details.- not sure, how it is inferior?
--------------

Absolutely, Su 30 mki is comparable to JF 17 when come about Indigenous products but actually I say, these are OEM products. I can even proved that more Indian components are used in Su 30 mki compare to made in Pakistan components use in Jf 17.

About manufacturing, more then 22-23 Su 30 mki was produced by HAL in a year.

HA tejas Mk1a and Jf17 block 3 will be more or less equal capable aircrafts. few area HAL Tejas Mk1a will have advantage and few Jf17 block 3.

Last edited:
I dont think it is possible, 10 planes per year has already been very good by seeing how many Indian produce Tejas currently. Having 20 planes production per year will require more investment and it will reduce the profit of companies who are going to produce them.
There are 3 lines coming up for it Bangalore has 1 line and Nasik (another HAL division) 8 each and both will be eventually ramped up to 10 each plus one reserve line.

the approach is modular today. The fuselage will be manufactured by a private industry called as dynamatic tech while others are private too. HAL will integrate the engine radar avionics etc.

1. India is manufacturing the aircrafts from the past 50 years. Manufacturing of aircraft is a not special thing now a days.
2. By the logic if HAL tejas is not indian then Jf 17 can't be chinese made because it is used British injection seat, russian engine, and few parts from another countries. The same goes to SAB Gripen, EF fighter etc...
----------------------

2. About AA Missile over 150 + range already shared the details.- not sure, how it is inferior?
--------------

Absolutely, Su 30 mki is comparable to JF 17 when come about Indigenous products but actually I say, these are OEM products. I can even proved that more Indian components are used in Su 30 mki compare to made in Pakistan components use in Jf 17.

HA tejas Mk1a and Jf17 block 3 will be more or less equal capable aircrafts. few area HAL Tejas Mk1a will have advantage and few Jf17 block 3.

out of everything you have quoted you forgot the engine used in JF 17 all blocks RD 33. Which nobody wants but that’s not your fault it what u get.

Last edited:
MK1A

Supa Dupa plane that has not left drawing board

JF-17

135 produced so far.

In service with 9 PAF squadrons
Nigerian Air Force
Myanmar Air Force
Possible Azeri Air Force

Launched strikes against Indian Targets

Shot down Iranian drone

Maybe you chaps should celebrate when/if the damn thing flies!?
There are 3 lines coming up for it Bangalore has 1 line and Nasik (another HAL division) 8 each and both will be eventually ramped up to 10 each plus one reserve line.

the approach is modular today. The fuselage will be manufactured by a private industry called as dynamatic tech while others are private too. HAL will integrate the engine radar avionics etc.

out of everything you have quoted you forgot the engine used in JF 17 all blocks RD 33. Which nobody wants but that’s not your fault it what u get.

So you never wanted MIG-29? Or the engines that produce 50% reliability on SU-30MKI and 30% reliability on MIG-29K?

----------------------

--------------

Have lost enough brain cells talking to you. An SU 30MKi is like a Thunder. A large, twin engine, air superiority fighter is the same as a light, multi role, single engine fighter. Also the Tejas is comparable to F22 raptor, right?
How are these two comparable from a production standpoint either? India had absolutely no hand in designing the SU30, it is a Russian aircraft produced in India Under license, while Pakistan literally has majority ownership of the thunder program and a major contribution in designing it. Pakistan is also the one who exports them (that’s how ownership works, India has 0% ownership of the SU, just a license to produce it) . It is a Pakistani program by all definitions. You say you can prove that more components of the SU30 were made in India than The thunders in Pakistan, well bloody of course, you have the license to do so. That’s not a technical thing, that’s a legal thing. If Pakistan had the license to produce those components locally it would obviously do so because it’s cheaper but not everything can be licensed. If designing such things locally was so easy then why hasn’t India been able to do it either?

But in the end why is the MKi even being discussed here? I already said in my first post that this doesn’t mean Indians defense industry is inferior, that’s just not possible when you have 7x the people and the economy. This thread is about the Tejas project and I was explaining how it is not a successful one. Your comparisons frankly make no sense.

I’ve got no idea what you’re saying anymore as it just sounds completely off topic to what I’m saying. Your years change from 2022 to 2025 to 2024 with every post. You don’t even bother to check the range of Thunders BVR to compare it with what the Tejas is supposed to get but hasn’t yet.
The MK-1A and the Block 3 cannot be compared. There will be 5 squadrons of Block 3 flying and Block 4 will probably already be present by the time MK-1As first squadron enters service. But since according to your logic the Thunder is already the same as an SU30, maybe block 4 will be the same as Rafael?

I never said the Tejas was not Indian, but apparently you didn’t bother to read again. I said that it is wrong to call the thunder a Chinese only jet when it is produced in Pakistan the same way the Tejas is produced in India (this was never meant for you but you’re trying to disprove something that you don’t even understand, it was meant for the people calling thunder A Chinese aircraft) Again, more of the thunder is made in Pakistan than the Tejas is made in India. Most of the Tejas is imported from other countries. But I did not say that all of the Tejas is not made in India, it’s still an Indian jet. Just like the thunder is Pakistani (and I did say it was designed with Chinese help myself, because that’s obvious. But how is that an issue is what I don’t understand)

If India has been making aircraft for “more than 50 years” and making them is “no big deal” then why is the Tejas project so late and why was the Tejas rejected by the Indian forces thrice? Why is there no competent version of the Tejas already in Service after over 30 years of the project being underway?

Will be my last post on this thread.
Regards.

Have lost enough brain cells talking to you. An SU 30MKi is like a Thunder. A large, twin engine, air superiority fighter is the same as a light, multi role, single engine fighter. Also the Tejas is comparable to F22 raptor, right?
How are these two comparable from a production standpoint either? India had absolutely no hand in designing the SU30, it is a Russian aircraft produced in India Under license, while Pakistan literally has majority ownership of the thunder program and a major contribution in designing it. Pakistan is also the one who exports them (that’s how ownership works, India has 0% ownership of the SU, just a license to produce it) . It is a Pakistani program by all definitions. You say you can prove that more components of the SU30 were made in India than The thunders in Pakistan, well bloody of course, you have the license to do so. That’s not a technical thing, that’s a legal thing. If Pakistan had the license to produce those components locally it would obviously do so because it’s cheaper but not everything can be licensed. If designing such things locally was so easy then why hasn’t India been able to do it either?

But in the end why is the MKi even being discussed here? I already said in my first post that this doesn’t mean Indians defense industry is inferior, that’s just not possible when you have 7x the people and the economy. This thread is about the Tejas project and I was explaining how it is not a successful one. Your comparisons frankly make no sense.

I’ve got no idea what you’re saying anymore as it just sounds completely off topic to what I’m saying. Your years change from 2022 to 2025 to 2024 with every post. You don’t even bother to check the range of Thunders BVR to compare it with what the Tejas is supposed to get but hasn’t yet.
The MK-1A and the Block 3 cannot be compared. There will be 5 squadrons of Block 3 flying and Block 4 will probably already be present by the time MK-1As first squadron enters service. But since according to your logic the Thunder is already the same as an SU30, maybe block 4 will be the same as Rafael?

I never said the Tejas was not Indian, but apparently you didn’t bother to read again. I said that it is wrong to call the thunder a Chinese only jet when it is produced in Pakistan the same way the Tejas is produced in India (this was never meant for you but you’re trying to disprove something that you don’t even understand, it was meant for the people calling thunder A Chinese aircraft) Again, more of the thunder is made in Pakistan than the Tejas is made in India. Most of the Tejas is imported from other countries. But I did not say that all of the Tejas is not made in India, it’s still an Indian jet. Just like the thunder is Pakistani (and I did say it was designed with Chinese help myself, because that’s obvious. But how is that an issue is what I don’t understand)

If India has been making aircraft for “more than 50 years” and making them is “no big deal” then why is the Tejas project so late and why was the Tejas rejected by the Indian forces thrice? Why is there no competent version of the Tejas already in Service after over 30 years of the project being underway?

1. I said about being a indigenous product (Jf 17 and Su 30 mki).
2. We know the capability and limit of HAL tejas MK1a and the same reason it will only use for defensive role even having the similar capabilities as same as Jf 17 bock 3.

1. Even Jf 17 was not designed by Chinese. Actually, it is designed by Soviet and blueprint was purchased by Chinese. Then later, they modified and refined the design as per the customer (PAF).
2. PAK can not export the aircraft without Chinese and Russian approval. Manufacture can't actually sell the OEM products.
3. Again, there are two things. Being a partner of the program, you will get the TOT and not license for manufacturing the parts. The same reason most parts of chinese made being made in pakistan but it does not mean that it is made by Pakistan.
-------------------------------------

It is all about requirement's. PAK needed a aircraft very badly and same the reason even under develop Jf 17 block1 was inducted by PAK. but, IAF was not ready to induct a under develop HAL Tejas.

-------------------------------------------------

1. Jf 17 is not comparable to Su 30 mki, I was talking about indigenously product.
2. Count can't be matter of technical comparasion.
3. you are taking about PL15 and I am taking bout Astra BVR with range over 150 KM. Since, we know about RADAR is going to use by Jf 17 bock 3 and HAL Tejas Mk1a and their limitations. The same reason PAF is looking for J10 C.

------------------------------------------

Again, there is difference between manufacturing and designing, testing and developing a aircraft. Let me know once Pakistan will design any aircraft even a trainer. Manufacturing or just selling any upgraded version (Super Mushshak) can't be called as indigenous product.

As my definition, Anything is called indigenous if it was designed, tested and developed by someone including all parts. but, all parts are not possible to make by a country expect a few Russia, France, and US.

So now, design, testing and developing is important part of any country. Chinese made the Jf 17 for Pakistan with inputs, requirements, involvement and financial partnership from Pakistan.

Last edited:
A lighter, faster, fully loaded with modern electronics, higher in range and in acceleration and low in RCS is coming.

The difficulty for production of your Tejas that's its relied too much on foreign tech, (Israeli radars/French and Israeli avionics/US engine/ Israel/French/US/British/Russian weapon) as compare to JFT project which relied mostly on one source (China), lets see how you can mange production of your Tejas
Nowadays most combat aircraft rely on components and systems supply from multiple vendors spread across the world. We have as a temporary measure sourced certain systems and sub systems from countries like the US, Israel etc. This is till we manage to indigenise the production of these items.

Yes both the Tejas and the JF17 have many parts from suppliers outside. Though I will take the liberty of stating that there are far more Indian manufactured components in the Tejas than there are Pakistan manufactured components in the JF17.

I know you will immediately contest this. Maybe to support your view you can list out the Pakistan made components of the JF17 and the list can be compared to the list of Indian made components in the Tejas.

One vital difference between the two aircraft is that the systems that we have sourced from Israel, US, France etc are generally accepted to be better than equivalent Chinese components. So we are producing an aircraft with better systems. I wish to remind you that China requested and received know how from Israel on their Lavi fighter. Obviously if they did not feel that the Israelis had superior technology they would never have asked Israel for help. Similarly they wanted to buy Israeli Phalcon AWACS, a deal which Washington vetoed. I hope you don't deny these transactions to score a petty point. Please research the truth of my assertions.

Lastly I don't expect India to be embargoed by the suppliers of the said components for the Tejas. We have extremely friendly relations with Israel, France and the US. And anyway we are progressively indigenising the imported components. Example is the Uttam AESA radar which will replace the Israeli Elta 2052 radar. The Uttam AESA radar is already installed in an Lsp Tejas aircraft and has successfully passed various air to air operating modes.

so no further Rafales ?
The Rafale is in different category vis-a-vis the Tejas. One is a point defence fighter which is gaining additional capabilites. And the other is a twin engine medium heavy multi role fighter.

One cannot replace the other. Each have their own role to play.

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is no such fighter called MK1A it exists on paper only not a single prototype has flown yet ...... if it is approved that means a prototype will be made integration of new systems will take time .... JF17 block 3 made its first flight in Dec 2019 and in Dec 2020 we have officially started production that means it took 1 year to test certify and Integrate weapons.... how long will it take for MK1A remains to be seen although historically tejas is always years behind JF17 so expect half a squadron of MK1A by 2025 if you're lucky... by that time Pakistan will either stop producing JF17 or block 4 will arrive..
I give respect to your view but they are misguided.
There is almost nil change in the airframe of both the Tejas mk1 and Tejas mk1a.
The FCS remains the same. There will be no need for extensive retesting. Already simulation studies have been done to validate changes. Changes like the External Jammer Pod, Israeli AESA radar, IFR etc have already been validated on Lsp aircraft.
Little work remains to be done.

The first Tejas mk1a is expected to be delivered in 3 years after contract signature. HAL was waiting for confirmation of the orders before starting the process.

On the other hand the Tejas mk2 or the MWF is almost a new aircraft.

Lmao replace trolls with indians as they are the spoilers here 🤣

Mate we have been hearing this for years that india has upped the production speed and capacity but in 2020 number made were 6...

Atleast he spoke truth unlike indian defence geeks saying 100% indian 🤣
Janab, I am sure you are not a racist who hates all Indians.
Let us try to have a civil discussion based on reason and merits.

The recent conflict with China has shaken up the bureaucracy in India.
Defence is being taken more seriously. I am optimistic.

I guarantee you that you will hear more defence acquisition news coming from India.
Come on yaar he isn't start trolling yet, lets be sane and not expect this new indian guy is a troller
Deeply honoured by your generosity.
Come on bro. Take it easy. I gather we are all learned and moderate people who can have a civil discussion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom