What's new

Lizard eating saudis

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Scythian @iranigirl2 @Armstrong @BLACKEAGLE @Yzd Khalifa @al-Hasani @wasm95 @Czar786 @Skallagrim

There's variation in ahadees but overall it seems like it was neither forbidden nor did he like to eat it. Also recommendation is different for "house" lizard than these large lizards. Looks like it was Arab food before prophet & was presented to him. He did not quite like it...

-
Ibn 'Umar reported that there were some persons with Allah's Apostle from among his Companions, Sa'd being one of them. There was brought to them the flesh of the lizard when a lady amongst the wives of Allah's Apostle said: It is the flesh of the lizard. Thereupon Allah's Messenger said: Eat, for it is lawful, but it is not my diet.

Sahih Muslim 1944 a In-book reference: Book 34, Hadith 61 USC-MSA web (English) ref: Book 21, Hadith 4788
===
Ibn ‘Abbas said that his maternal aunt presented to the Messenger of Allah clarified butter, lizards and cottage cheese. He ate from clarified butter and cheese, but left the lizard abominably. It was eaten on the food cloth of the Messenger of Allah. Had it been unlawful, it would not have been eaten on the food cloth of the Messenger of Allah.

Sunan Abi Dawud 3793, In-book reference:Book 28, Hadith 58, English translation:Book 27, Hadith 3784
===
Allah's Messenger was asked about the eating of (the flesh) of the lizard, whereupon he said: I am neither the eater of it nor its prohibitor.

Sahih Muslim 1943 a, In-book reference:Book 34, Hadith 56, USC-MSA web (English) reference:Book 21, Hadith 4783
===
The Messenger of Allah forbade to eat the flesh of lizard.

Sunan Abi Dawud 3796, In-book reference:Book 28, Hadith 61, English translation:Book 27, Hadith 3787
===
the house lizard that blew on it. So the Messenger of Allah commanded that they should be killed.”

Sunan Ibn Majah English ref:Vol. 1, Book 28, Hadith 3231, Arabic ref:Book 28, Hadith 3353

===
It was narrated from Umm Sharik that the Prophet told her to kill house lizards.

Sunan Ibn Majah English reference:Vol. 1, Book 28, Hadith 3228, Arabic reference:Book 28, Hadith 3350

===

Sa'id b. Jubair reported that he heard Ibn 'Abbas says: The sister of my mother Umm Hufaid presented to Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) clarified butter (ghee), cheese and some lizards. He ate out of the clarified butter and cheese, but left the lizard finding no liking for it. But it was eaten on the table of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him). Had it been forbidden (haram), it could not be eaten on the table of Allah's Messenger

Sahih Muslim 1947, In-book reference:Book 34, Hadith 68, USC-MSA web (English) reference:Book 21, Hadith 4795

what about this reference

for he (the Prophet) commands them what is just and forbids them what is evil; he allows them as lawful what is good (and pure) and prohibits them from what is bad (and impure)�� (Surah al-A�raf, V: 157)

That those land-animals who have blood in them but the blood does not flow, in other words animals that do not have flowing blood, are also considered Haram, such as a snake, lizard, chameleon, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is this strange? Arabia is a desert for god's sake! Food scarcity and harsh deserts of Arabia... do I really need to explain this?!

LOL

KSA (you must refer to Najd when you say Arabia) is one of the most diverse places on earth in terms of landscapes etc.. We have all landscapes and even several micro-climates and several hundred tropical islands alone in the Red Sea which has the second biggest coral reef in the world after the Great Barrier Reef in Australia and which has a abundance of life.

Lastly the only deserts in KSA (real ones) are the Rub' al-Khalil desert and the An Nafud near the borders of Jordan and Iraq and the latter is a rocky and hilly desert. Both which are largely uninhabited and which are actually partially highland. Otherwise KSA has the highest amount of oasis, thousands of wadis (valleys with permanent water), biggest palm groves in the world and Najd itself, which is the only "Arabia" is a highland itself (the word Najd means highland in Arabic) and even has mountain ranges.

In short, all desert regions in Arabia (Najd) are mountainous and not your typical barren desert as all the deserts in Iran, the Karakum Desert or elsewhere!

Some pictures of the "desert" in Najd or the province of Arabia:

Dune by Alkassim, on Flickr

4401710752_567eed2784_z.jpg

Hail City by D7im Al D7im, on Flickr

6042935190_c5344d5934.jpg

2010-3-5 by Akram Photo, on Flickr

وادي البردي-ينبع 2 by asim mawwad -عاصم معوض, on Flickr

Lines to Reflection by Abdulmajeed Al Juhani, on Flickr

Hail City by D7im Al D7im, on Flickr

Aside from that this a trolling thread made by a Kazakh Nomad originally (Persians were originally nomads in current day Kazakhstan and Central Asia) and they first encountered real culture and civilizations when they met ancient Semitic people in Iraq who originally came from the Arabian Peninsula like all Semites before them. Today the only Semites are Arabs, Jews, Assyrians and various other smaller group of people and some people on the Horn of Africa but we all share the same ancestry as modern genetic have confirmed.

Oh, I see that he is banned. Probably the same Iranian troll (sounds like that Azeri Iranian - not even Persian, LOL) that is still bitter about the Arab conquest here 1400 years after and the cultural, social, linguistic (Persian is heavily influenced by Arabic and the Persian alphabet is based on the Arabic one) and most importantly religious. Even well-known cities such as Qom and Mashhad (the religious capitals of Iran) were founded by us Arabs.

Anyway I don't really expect Iranians of all people to know about all this. Wikipedia is not going to tell it after all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the topic then this is a dish mostly tied to PARTS of Najd and especially among the Bedouins that number less than 800.000 individuals in KSA of today. Most Saudis have not even tasted or seen such lizards in their life especially people from Hejaz (where over half of the population live), all the mountainous regions, including Hejaz, Southern KSA and Eastern KSA.

But I have heard that it tastes like chicken and it is a dish/meat like any other. People across the world eat much more "stranger" things. One just need to look at China/Korea/India or even Africa where monkey brain is a delicacy.

Or just France where snails and frogs are eaten widely and considered as luxury eating.

Anyway no Muslim, Arab or Semitic people should take such Iranians seriously.

Again saudis...
If our members pretend that they don't give a damn to them then why they 'highlight' them in everything?
Even if a saudi visits bathroom then some people will highlight them too.
I don't get it...Is this Arab phobia or Arab phelia?? :what:

Is that China?:china: It looks like they eat all parts of them. Anyway it is Chinese people after all they will eat nearly anything;). I believe that they even have a saying that Chinese "would eat everything that has 4 legs aside from a table.;) From what I am aware then only parts of them are eaten in the Arab world and together with rice, species etc. and not raw, LOL.

Anyway, I guess countries have their own curiosities in terms of cuisine. I am glad that we only have that one, LOL.

Its better to avoid doubt full food and when Allah has provided with better food then why we have to go behind that is doubtfull.
and if one like the meat of some particular animal and Rasoolullah S.a.W never eat that food the better avoid that .

'Abdullah b. 'Abbas reported: I and Khalid b. Walid went to the apartment of Maimuna along with Allāh's Messenger (may peace be upon him), and there was presented to him a roasted lizard. Allāh's Messenger (may peace be upon him) stretched his hand towards It, whereupon some of the women who had been in the house of Maimuna said: Inform Allāh's Messenger (may peace be upon him) what he intends to eat. Allāh's Messenger (may peace be upon him) lifted his hand. I said: Messenger of Allāh, Is it forbidden? He said: No. It is not found in the land of my people, and I feel that I have no liking for it. Khalid said: I then chewed and ate it, while, Allāh's Messenger (may peace be upon him) was looking (at me).

In the above Hadith its clear that prophet S.A.W did not like it so why to do that thing which prophet S.A.W did not like it .when allah in the holy quran says a believer to follow the prophet S.A.W.

Again saudis...
If our members pretend that they don't give a damn to them then why they 'highlight' them in everything?

Many people are pissed off at us :cheesy:

Damn. That's gross.

All the money in the world and you guys prefer lizard?

Just buy some kobe beef.

Being rich has nothing to do with your diet :lol:

I find them disgusting too BTW.

.........................disgusting

You guys eat almost everything o O.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm just saying.

:rofl:and what a style to express their disagreement or you can say desperation over saudis....that they are making such kind of post?why don't they discuss clearly what do they want?if they have any issues to saudi policies they make is 'loud and clear'
and if not eligible to discuss or lack confidence,then please don't make such pathetic posts...:closed:

Again saudis...

:omghaha:

So true. It's like a paranoia. The ignorance is also extreme. I must admit that I expected something else but I guess we have a lot of kids here. and obviously many are not even Pakistanis to being with.:pakistan:

Damn. That's gross.

All the money in the world and you guys prefer lizard?

Just buy some kobe beef.

Who are WE, man? I have never seen a uromastyx in my life in the wild nor have the vast majority of fellow Hajazis (over half of the Saudi population) the vast majority of Saudis living in the South, in all the mountainous regions, including Hejaz and Southern KSA, the Eastern province etc. It is mostly eaten in PARTS of Najd (the central highland) and some Northern regions and that nearly exclsuively among the Bedouins that number 800.000. The vast majority of Saudis have never tasted it, me included.

Anyway I struggle to see it as being more gross than all the stuff you can eat in China, Japan, Korea, South East Asia, India, Africa etc. In fact it is harmful compared to many of those areas and their traditional specialties especially when the uromastyx is not eaten raw but fried, cooked and only PARTS of it. Together with rice, spices and other things. You have a fellow Pakistan here, Imran Khan, who has tried it and he apparently loves it.;)

Please read my post number 32 in this thread to get more information about this.

:omghaha:

So true. It's like a paranoia. The ignorance is also extreme. I must admit that I expected something else but I guess we have a lot of kids here. and obviously many are not even Pakistanis to being with.:pakistan:

Who are WE, man? I have never seen a uromastyx in my life in the wild nor have the vast majority of fellow Hajazis (over half of the Saudi population) the vast majority of Saudis living in the South, in all the mountainous regions, including Hejaz and Southern KSA, the Eastern province etc. It is mostly eaten in PARTS of Najd (the central highland) and some Northern regions and that nearly exclsuively among the Bedouins that number 800.000. The vast majority of Saudis have never tasted it, me included.

Anyway I struggle to see it as being more gross than all the stuff you can eat in China, Japan, Korea, South East Asia, India, Africa etc. In fact it is harmful compared to many of those areas and their traditional specialties especially when the uromastyx is not eaten raw but fried, cooked and only PARTS of it. Together with rice, spices and other things. You have a fellow Pakistan here, Imran Khan, who has tried it and he apparently loves it.;)

Please read my post number 32 in this thread to get more information about this.

who told you that Pakistanis have such paranoia...lol I understand that Muslim countries do disagree on various points..but this normal,I don't get it..what is the objective behind such silly attempts? to showoff your aggression?to insult?..I would have speak same if some European or other have posted same crap against Iran. :rofl:

You guys eat almost everything o O.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm just saying.

No, you are wrong, in China, cantonese eat everything, except cantonese, we eat ORDINARY FOOD, lamb,beef,pork,chicken,fish...nothing strange as lizard?! I cannot imagine that, isn't it poison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom