What's new

Kurds call for Removal of Turkey from NATO

I hope cooler heads prevail, and an understanding is reached with Turkey in this regard. After all, to paraphrase LBJ, "It's probably better to have [Turkey] inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." That said, I wonder if you can illuminate the reasons why Turkey seems, to my eyes, to be unnaturally confident that ISIS will not threaten Turkey at any point in the future. After all, Turkey would not give a cold shoulder to NATO now, while NATO members are trying to eliminate ISIS before it becomes a problem, only to call for NATO's assistance later should ISIS blossom into a true threat, correct?
The thing is the satus quo is playing in Turkeys hand, two terrorist organisations which are in Turkeys terror list are fighting eachother, Isis might be an problem in the future but at the moment the situation in our favour.
The problem why Turkey doesnt wants to get active against isis is the simple fact that we share a huge border with conflict zone, any involvement will spill the war over to Turkey, if isis starts to attack a NATO member then we can talk about a military operation but nobody should ask Turkey to help its biggest enemy (pkk's Syrian arm pyd).

The other question I have: Given Erdogan's explicit call to be allowed to join the SCO, rather than be kicked out of NATO (impossible, as far as I'm aware), is it instead possible that Erdogan or some other Turkish leader will simply withdraw from NATO, having concluded that Turkey's interests would be better served as part of some other alliance?
Its just Erdogans big mouth, Turkey cant be in a alliance with hostile countrys such as Russia and China simple as that, Turkeys whole policy since its creation is towards west and there is no other alliance Turkey could join besides a Turkic union which is highly unlikely.
Erdogan might talk big but ironically his goverment made more laws as part of EU adaptation than any other goverment before him, i might not like him but i have to give him credit for this.

NATO should be dissolved full stop. It was created to fight an enemy that no longer exists.

Lol..guess you haven't watch any news for the past year or so :) NATO is more relevant now than it was since the 80's..

And the Kurds should mind their own business, they have other things to worry about before giving advice on who should be in NATO or not.

Back
Top Bottom