What's new

Kargil : Indian Army's operation "Vijay" was ineffective

Kargil was technically not even a 'war' since it was fought on LoC not International border,.In academic language its called Kargil Conflict.
Besides, you would never understand the real objectives behind the whole thing.
There is no prerequisite to war having to be fought only along International Borders for the term "war" to be used. American North and American South fought within the borders of the US - it's called the American Civil War, not the American Civil Conflict. Look up the academic language.

Yes, I was explained the strategic objective by one of the Pak posters here - apparently it was to bomb NH1. And I thought it was to cut off the supply to Siachen and force India on the negotiating table.

Let's hear yours too.

Indian newspapers and their public believe--or say they believe--that the conflict in Dras-Kargil last year was a military victory for India. In fact, it was a war 'won' by briefings and a slavishly supportive media. The Indian public wanted to be assured of 'victory,' and every effort was made to provide that assurance. Kargil was disastrous for Pakistan in worldwide political terms, and was an important public relations coup for the Indian government, both internally (in the run-up to the election), and internationally. But militarily it was a shambles for India whose brave but ill-prepared soldiers suffered gravely and would have sustained even heavier casualties had the conflict continued. The prime minister of Pakistan was ordered by the president of the United States to withdraw his troops from a successful military operation and this was done in time to save the Vajpayee government from the wave of criticism that would have swamped it had the confrontation not been stopped.

Source: "War Drums are Beating" Brian Cloughley.

Why would Pakistani leaders listen to American Presidents ?

India was caught by Surprise in 1999. 20 years later, a similar thing happened in term of “Surprise”, only this time it was mentioned in clear words, yet India failed to stop it, losing an aircraft in process.

Kargil was more than an intelligence failure. A large body of troops carrying arms, ammunition and maintaining a logistical line remained undetected, till they came in contact with locals. Any troop movement inside Pakistan wasnt detected, any movement on loc didn’t attract attention and finally crossing over LOC remained undetected. Were these troops or ghosts ?

Furthermore, amassing of artillery ammunition and movement of guns remained un noticed by India. Supply trucks and mules kept running up and down on roads and hill tracks day and night.

Coming in 2019 India had the intel, the same IAF that sent sortie after sortie in 1999 to bomb PA positions in unchallenged skies, was no where to be seen when PAF entered IOK, released its load and returned safely to own skies. It shows the impact PAF could have made in 1999 and is capable of making in future conflict. Intel given to IAF about an expected attack resulted in Indian territory getting bombed and loss of aircraft.

kargil war showed the tactical prowess of Pakistani troops, stealthily entering enemy areas, entrenching themselves, carrying different calibers of weapons and inflicting damage to enemy. In modern times, it’s the SF of different countries who undertake such missions and that too in very small tactical teams. Pakistani irregular troops successfully conducted such Ops and later became a regular regiment of NLI.

What is great about surprise attacks in a remote area ? a large body defined in this case seems to be a few thousand troops in a sparsely populated area. With the advent of unmanned aerial vehicles and sensors the probability of success of such operations is going to decrease
The man hasn't declared the objective of Pakistan, which was to disrupt supplies to siachen through shelling nh1a. That was done throughout the war. It was shelled. We can still shell it today as point 5353 gives us overwatch of the highway

Indian Air Force has C-17s and C-130s which can airlift enough supplies to bypass any Pakistani shelling.

Satellite guided bombs can finish off any military positions on mountainous peaks in a few minutes

Satellite guided bombs can finish off any military positions on mountainous peaks in a few minutes

Despite the proliferation of precision weapons, actually completing the strike ‘kill chain’ is still difficult. Some militaries, such as those of the US and Australia, have spent years developing the technologies and systems that enable precision strike and employing the skills required in actual operations. But proficiency should not be taken for granted. It takes more than the weapon itself to launch a successful precision stike.

There is no prerequisite to war having to be fought only along International Borders for the term "war" to be used. American North and American South fought within the borders of the US - it's called the American Civil War, not the American Civil Conflict. Look up the academic language.

Yes, I was explained the strategic objective by one of the Pak posters here - apparently it was to bomb NH1. And I thought it was to cut off the supply to Siachen and force India on the negotiating table.

Let's hear yours too.
Now you are going to bring in the 'civil war' term to prove your point?? civil war word was coined to describe what it is.. I am talking about 'war' in context of present day treaties and rules of engagement. At least try to understand what i was saying..It was india that started the war of 1965 by crossing international border even though it wasnt a war till india intruded in ran of kutch in april 65 or when Pakistan initiated the conflict in Kashmir region same year via op Gibraltar. Thats why when india was pushed back behind the border the world headlines were seen in favor of Pakistan .

Yes to cut off Siachen which we did back then and we can do again, thanks to our new territorial gain next to the highway.

Last edited:

Despite the proliferation of precision weapons, actually completing the strike ‘kill chain’ is still difficult. Some militaries, such as those of the US and Australia, have spent years developing the technologies and systems that enable precision strike and employing the skills required in actual operations. But proficiency should not be taken for granted. It takes more than the weapon itself to launch a successful precision stike.

There is simply nowhere to hide on a mountain peak. Laser guided bombs require trained operators to illuminate the target. Satellite guided bombs require no such skills
Read all my posts in this thread.

you are never going to win wars on the Indian subcontinent with movement of such small units. it seems like a pointless exercise to me

There is simply nowhere to hide on a mountain peak. Laser guided bombs require trained operators to illuminate the target. Satellite guided bombs require no such skills
did you read that? The australian author is saying that Indians are incompetent to use precision weapons

Have

Have done it already.

It is you who has not spoken a word about what is said by Mushahid Hussain, Lt Gen Shahid Aziz, Lt Gen Majid Malik and Nazam Sethi.
You haven't said anything or even tried to refute the point about us occupying 4 of the peaks today... You just screeched about casualties, muh videos which you haven't even watched properly and then used nawaz sharifs figure lol.

Lol. Poor guy didn't even know that Pak had captured more 100 peaks in Kargil (between 120-140). "But what about Peak XYZ and Ridge ABC?"
Again give me a source for that figure. I can't seem to find it anywhere where I ever I search about the kargil war.

from the horse's mouth...

"Sharif was reluctant to withdraw before the meeting with Clinton was announced (again, his problem was maintaining face); but after I insisted, he finally came around and he ordered the withdrawal. We set up a meeting with Clinton in July."

this should clear any doubt that indian army was effective..... as shown by it's poor performance in recent times, they were totally incompetent in driving out the superb North light Infantry...

The "horse's mouth" is full of $h!t, wouldn't believe it even if WW3 started. The liars who deceived the world about WMD in Iraq, about the Gulf of Tonkin - Vietnam, about Chemical Weapons in Syria, about Libya .... the ones who have murdered millions based on lies, can shove their fantastic stories of deception, where the sun don't shine.

As for Musharraf, Nawaz and others. Not one leader in Pakistan with the exception of Imran Khan, has sought self-preservation and possessed an inflated ego. Pakistanis have a long way to go, learning the lesson that we must elect leaders who have integrity, honor, truthfulness and Imaan.

zionist-america has interfered in almost every country's internal affairs, using sanctions, subversion, bribes, protectionism and outright invasions and wars. It is zionist-america who is actively trying to Balkanize this country, by dividing us, by sponsoring or allowing terrorists to thrive and by infiltration. Of course, all of this wouldn't be possible without traitors within our midst. Traitors like zardari, nawaz, benazir, shabaz, bilawal, fat-lard with a turban and that p!g (Altaf) who destroyed Karachi along with PPP.

Now you are going to bring in the 'civil war' term to prove your point?? civil war is an old word.. I am talking about 'war' in context of present day treaties and rules of engagement. At least try to understand what i was saying..It was india that started the war of 1965 by crossing international border even though it wasnt a war till india intruded in ran of kutch in april 65 or when Pakistan initiated the conflict in Kashmir region same year via op Gibraltar. Thats why when india was pushed back behind the border the world headlines were seen in favor of Pakistan .

Yes to cut off Siachen which we did back then and we can do again, thanks to our new territorial gain next to the highway.
Umm. India started the 1965 War? According to which news source?

Back
Top Bottom