What's new

Karachi Is Now The Largest City in the World

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol:

How many reports has the BMC sponsored Mr. Riaz?

Did BMC sponsor "Planet of the Slums" (ISBN: 1844670228) by Mike Davis too?

Read it and you'll know which city has a bigger slum population.

I have read it. The Davis book does not say that Orangi is bigger than Dharavi slum, nor does it compare the services available to residents, or their quality of life.

All it says that about half of Karachi population lives in various Katchi Abadis, which is less than the 60% of Mumbai residents living in slums.

You did not provide any links, but I'll give you the links to back up my statements:

Planet of slums - Google Books

Slums

This is not good for karachi
even if the source is not authentic
population in karachi is increasing really fast because of people migrating from other cities to karachi

according to wikipedia
list of city propers :
city---------------population-------area in km²
1.Mumbai--------13,922,125 -------603
2.Shanghai-------13,831,900------1,928
3.Karachi---------12,991,000------3,527
4.Delhi------------12,259,230------- 431
5.Istanbul---------11,372,613-----1,831

Check out the areas of city propers of indian cities.......

according to wikipedia
list of city propers :
city---------------population-------area in km²
1.Mumbai--------13,922,125 -------603
2.Shanghai-------13,831,900------1,928
3.Karachi---------12,991,000------3,527
4.Delhi------------12,259,230------- 431
5.Istanbul---------11,372,613-----1,831

Check out the areas of city propers of indian cities.......

when were that figures? there are more than 20 million in Shanghai.

when were that figures? there are more than 20 million in Shanghai.

my brother, this is list of city propers
Core districts + inner suburbs of Shanghai is included
Municipal Corporation of mumbai & delhi;;;City District of karachi &&& Metropolitan Municipality of Istanbul included....

Thats according to 1998 Census ...

The 1998 census had shown karachi,s population to be just over 9 million.The MQM and sindhi nationalist parties in sindh had rejected the census results because they felt that karachi and sindhs population has been undercounted.According to international observers and non-governmental organizations karachi population is between 20-25 million.I wont be surprised if it was more.

The 1998 census had shown karachi,s population to be just over 9 million.The MQM and sindhi nationalist parties in sindh had rejected the census results because they felt that karachi and sindhs population has been undercounted.According to international observers and non-governmental organizations karachi population is between 20-25 million.I wont be surprised if it was more.

I have no doubt about that as prior to moving to UK in 2006, I lived all my life in Karachi and believe you me or not its one hell of huge city.

Yes!!

I knew this city really had it in her, really had..:smitten:

Regardless of the city, every :pakistan:i should be proud.

The report you refer to was compiled by Mumbai's Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation with assistance from the United Nations Development Program (UNDP). It claims that while Dharavi, the setting for the Oscar-winning Slumdog Millionaire movie, has 57,000 families living in overcrowded huts with poor sanitation, Orangi on the outskirts of Karachi is home to more than a million people living in poverty. This report was sponsored and paid for by Mumbai municipality.
[/url]

So a report in which UNDP is involved even if sponsored by BMC does not have credibility but Haq's musings do??:azn:

I have read it. The Davis book does not say that Orangi is bigger than Dharavi slum, nor does it compare the services available to residents, or their quality of life.

All it says that about half of Karachi population lives in various Katchi Abadis, which is less than the 60% of Mumbai residents living in slums.

You did not provide any links, but I'll give you the links to back up my statements:

Planet of slums - Google Books

Slums

Look who is talking about links! :lol:

By the way, the link you provided gave only a partial "preview" of the book. Not all pages are available. Nice try to twist facts.

I do not remember the exact page of the book, but it I clearly remember it saying that Orangi Township has 1.2 million slum dwellers compared to 800,000 in Dharavi.

Anyways, I can agree that as far as absolute numbers are concerned, Mumbai probably has more slum dwellers than Karachi. But what about the percentage of population living in slums?

Now here are some concrete sources -

According to UN Habitat, 73.6% of Pakistan's urban population lives in slums compared to 55.5% in India.

http://ww2.unhabitat.org/programmes/guo/documents/Table1.pdf

:toast_sign:

So a report in which UNDP is involved even if sponsored by BMC does not have credibility but Haq's musings do??:azn:

Haq's Musings is my personal blog. No body pays me for my blog. The contents in Haq's Musings are based on authentic data from widely-accepted credible sources, backed by my own personal research.

Your problem is that any data that makes India look bad or challenges your delusions about India is not acceptable to you.

From the comments I read from many Indian contributors here, it seems to me that there is no one more delusional than the Indian contributors themselves, coming from a nation with the world's largest population of illiterate, ill-fed, poor people who lack the basic sanitation facilities. And yet, they aspire to greatness without fixing the fundamental issues of poverty, hunger, illiteracy and insanitary conditions all around them.

Greatness can only come from acknowledging your problems and working to fix them, rather than deny the existence of problems like abject poverty, extreme hunger, rampant malnutrition, terrible public sanitation, ongoing major insurgencies, etc.

Haq's Musings: Food, Clothing and Shelter in India and Pakistan

beleve me or not i proud on karachi but don't wanna go karachi.pablic there too much busy no love no hospitalty no welcome there. if you ask the way they hart you.sorry karachi members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom