What's new

Jordan takes delivery of ex-Dutch F-16s

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The first six of 15 F-16 multirole fighters that the Netherlands has sold to Jordan were flown out of Volkel Air Base by Jordanian pilots for their new home at Al-Azraq Air Base on 25 October, the Dutch Ministry of Defence announced on the following day.

p1711764.jpg

One of the six F-16s – now with Jordanian markings – is seen leaving Volkel Air Base for Jordan. (Netherlands Ministry of Defence)

It said the aircraft had undergone software changes to meet the Royal Jordanian Air Force’s requirements and the remaining aircraft will be transferred in the coming weeks.

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options ihs.com/contact

To read the full article, Client Login
(96 of 99 words)

http://www.janes.com/article/75226/jordan-takes-delivery-of-ex-dutch-f-16s

I think there is a chance that we may end up getting some of these.

Better yet!
If the jets were upgraded to the V variant they would be 4++ jets.
True.. they are already at the Block-52 level.. next upgrade should be to V ..

F-16AM/BM Block 20 MLU

In 1989 a two-year study began regarding possible mid-life upgrades for the USAF's and European Partner Air Forces' (EPAF's) F-16A/Bs. The resulting F-16 Mid-Life Update (MLU) package was designed to upgrade the cockpit and avionics to the equivalent of that on the F-16C/D Block 50/52; add the ability to employ radar-guided air-to-air missiles; and to generally enhance the operational performance and improve the reliability, supportability and maintainability of the aircraft. Aircraft receiving this set of updates are designated F-16AM or F-16BM.
Development began in May 1991 and continued until 1997; however, the USAF withdrew from the MLU program in 1992, although it did procure the modular mission computer for its Block 50/52 aircraft.[29][30]
The first of five prototype conversions flew on 28 April 1995, and installation of production kits began in January 1997. The original plans called for the production of 553 kits (110 for Belgium, 63 for Denmark, 172 for the Netherlands, 57 for Norway, and 130 for the USAF), however, final orders amounted to only 325 kits (72 for Belgium, 61 for Denmark, 136 for the Netherlands, and 56 for Norway). The EPAFs redesignated the F-16A/B aircraft receiving the MLU as F-16AM/BM, respectively. Portugal later joined the program and the first of 20 aircraft was redelivered on 26 June 2003, with another 20 going through the update incountry at this time. In recent years, Chile, Jordan, and Pakistan have purchased surplus Dutch and Belgian F-16AM/BM for their air forces.[30]
Development of new software and hardware modifications continues under the MLU program. The M3 software tape was installed in parallel with the Falcon STAR structural upgrade to bring the F-16AM/BM up to the standards of the USAF's Common Configuration Implementation Program (CCIP). A total of 296 M3 kits (72 for Belgium, 59 for Denmark, 57 for Norway, and 108 for the Netherlands) were ordered for delivery from 2002–2007; installation is anticipated to be completed in 2010. A M4 tape has also been developed that adds the ability to use additional weapons and the Pantera targeting pod; Norway began conducting flying combat operations in Afghanistan with these upgraded aircraft in 2008. A M5 tape is in development that will enable employment of a wider array of the latest smart weapons, and the first aircraft upgraded with it are due to be delivered in 2009. In 2015 tape M7 was implemented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16_Fighting_Falcon_variants#F-16AM/BM_Block_20_MLU

Last edited:
Yes the same block-20 as Singapore .. but the Dutch ones went trough MLU upgrades till the equivalent of the Block-52..So it might be easier and less expensive to upgrade to the V version..
Off-topic but I read Saudi Arabia was purchasing light close air support aircraft. If so in your opinion which plane will be selected?

The first six of 15 F-16 multirole fighters that the Netherlands has sold to Jordan were flown out of Volkel Air Base by Jordanian pilots for their new home at Al-Azraq Air Base on 25 October.

Let me get this straight, Pakistan Air Force bought Jordanian Air Force's F-16s which were surplus. Now I read that Jordan has gone ahead and bought Dutch F-16s? Is it just me or does this feel like the Jordanians wanted to get rid of their old junk and we bought them on the cheap? Why didn't Pakistan Air Force just straight up buy the Dutch F-16s? And if they were already sold to Jordan, than why not Belgian, or Danish, or Norwegian F-16s? All of these countries are transitioning to F-35s. So what seems to be the problem with buying F-16s from any of these countries? Is America blocking the sales?

Let me get this straight, Pakistan Air Force bought Jordanian Air Force's F-16s which were surplus. Now I read that Jordan has gone ahead and bought Dutch F-16s? Is it just me or does this feel like the Jordanians wanted to get rid of their old junk and we bought them on the cheap? Why didn't Pakistan Air Force just straight up buy the Dutch F-16s? And if they were already sold to Jordan, than why not Belgian, or Danish, or Norwegian F-16s? All of these countries are transitioning to F-35s. So what seems to be the problem with buying F-16s from any of these countries? Is America blocking the sales?
Maybe they don't like Pakistan because of terrorism and politics. Jordan has had a rather good record among the West in the last 30 some years.

Also, @The SC
Do you think Saudi Arabia has the expertise to make a mini-cruise missile without or with limited foreign help. I heard about a cancelled U.S. program to develop one that is about 3 feet and 10 inches long, and weighs about 100 pounds. It uses a turbojet with 30-50 pounds of thrust and can be used against SAM's and armored formations and had a range of roughly 100 miles, or 30 minutes. After being launched from a weapon platform, it is guided by GPS/INS to the target general area, where it can loiter. A laser radar (LIDAR or LADAR) illuminates the targets, determines their range, and matches their 3-D geometry with pre-loaded signatures. The LOCAAS system then selects the highest priority target and selects the warhead's mode for the best effect.
I honestly think Saudi Arabia could do it, but as far as integration onto weapons systems that may be hard. It could have been launched from the F-15SE with the capacity for 20 of them by using a dispenser called the SUU-64 in use by the military today. If an imaging infrared seeker was used and if it could be controlled from aircraft, or helicopters (AH-64 for example), or even from the ground this would provide an effective way to destroy SAM systems of launched in a barrage. I'm not getting everything, so if you want to learn more I will provide you some links and maybe a video or two.
Skip to 5 minutes for info about the LOCAAS.
locaas3.jpg

locaas-pic3.jpg

locaas-pic2.jpg

Last edited:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom