What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

1650389090175.png

The security issue is though overblown. The attacks on our bases didnt need high resolution pics. In almost all instances, google maps and ex-soldiers themselves provided plenty of info. Same w the attack on naval bases.

I still see some photographers having to photoshop out the serial numbers of aircraft like Mirages and F-7s only in order to comply with some antiquated concerns ... as if that is somehow going to give away their numbers or God knows what.
it’s better to err on the side of caution but at the same time it only adds to the disconnect if you create an aura of privilege and mystery.
You are not allowed to take pictures at most US air bases even though you can park up to the runway and see the activity - you can however get a pass where people will guide you around and let you know when and where to take pictures. They will also tell you why you cannot take pictures of a certain area and I am sure if it came to Pakistanis they will do the same and agree not to. Those that still do can and should have their equipment confiscated.

But simply acting as blockers and treating your own citizens as third rate and unworthy isn’t the way to go. It only gets reciprocated eventually and citizens will consider you third rate as well.

Finally, there is something known as training for stereotypes. I took golf balls in my carry on through security in Pakistan recently and they are forbidden which I was not aware of - however the security personnel could recognize my background and overall personality and gracefully let me go through after a quick chat.

That really is all one asks for in Pakistan - respect and understanding who you are talking to; the military isn’t the only cultured or educated category in Pakistan. Yes, there is a section of population who do not listen, who are disrespectful and who will try to do things regardless. Those you scare or beat the living crap out of - but that is also the reason why you learn how to recognize them.

Summing it up

There is value to having your own citizens taking pride in your prowess and military power. You want people to love the JF-17, to know what it’s capable of without compromising operational security. You want aspiring young kids to touch and feel it - not just PAF lowertopa graduates but those from other areas as well unless you are so myopic that you are happy with your limited sample set of people.

Holding college days in cities, letting those interested take guided pictures or having open day events is useful. Pakistan’s environment is extremely hostile compared to many but you cannot alienate folks under this entire guise.

Today aircraft spotters are at most major airports yet I would love to see anyone get past TSA at US airports. Because their agencies aren’t waiting for a threat to come to the airport for them to stop them, they are proactively working in unison. But it goes deeper into the psyche of the nation and I don’t want to derail the thread further.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom