What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

Sadly only in a very small version since i did not reveive my own copy yet ... my latest work: A Report on the JF-17 in the latest Combat Aircraft
CA - Eye on the East July 16.jpg

http://www.combataircraft.net/the-magazine/view-issue/?issueID=6668

Deino

Sadly only in a very small version since i did not reveive my own copy yet ... my latest work: A Report on the JF-17 in the latest Combat Aircraft
View attachment 309275

http://www.combataircraft.net/the-magazine/view-issue/?issueID=6668

Deino

Can we post your full article here as we have the full scanned version of your article ? @Tempest II

This is the reason WMD-7 is not being used by PAF. Look at all the ranges dependent upon RCS of 12 m^2. If it is halved, then it means all the corresponding values would become halved as well. And I dont think Human bodies, Hidden structures or caves or small well hidden compounds gives an Rcs of 12 m^2 @TaimiKhan @HRK

Can we post your full article here as we have the full scanned version of your article ? @Tempest II

This is the reason WMD-7 is not being used by PAF. Look at all the ranges dependent upon RCS of 12 m^2. If it is halved, then it means all the corresponding values would become halved as well. And I dont think Human bodies, Hidden structures or caves or small well hidden compounds gives an Rcs of 12 m^2 @TaimiKhan @HRK

First of all I don't get the logic of using RCS with an electro optic pod. There seems to be some typo error, which is something we see in lot of things from China on the packaging. :)

RCS is for radars & electro optic pods don't work on RCS. The other pic does not says anything of such nature rather it mentions the detection of specific things like a ship of 100m long at 100KM, Fighter jet head on @ 120KM, Bridge @ 80KM & a tank @ 25KM. So if a tank has 25Km detection range then a human body would be having a 15-20KM detection range.

The 12m2 as operational range seems to be some typo error, they wanted to say something else and it came out as something else.

https://defence.pk/attachments/wmd-7-laser-designator-pod-jpg.307991/

Thanks a lot ... and most of all, I hope You like my report !??

A fairly written report, that one. Do you think the chances for any real export success for the JF-17 will improve over the next decade or so?

I'm sure it will !

IMO there will be some sort of domino-effect. Once the first customers received their first birds and operate them for a certain time, additional ones will have no longer have the fear that they are the first ones who buy that type. And even more the requirements for such a type will surely expand.

I'm sure it will !

IMO there will be some sort of domino-effect. Once the first customers received their first birds and operate them for a certain time, additional ones will have no longer have the fear that they are the first ones who buy that type. And even more the requirements for such a type will surely expand.

Is there any news of the deliveries to Myanmar and Nigeria to help start this domino effect?

WMD-7 is a targeting pod with main job of providing targeting support. In trails an F-16 at an altitude of between 30-40000 (I do not remember correct altitude) achieved the longest distance of 27 km with small diameter PGM. 25-30 km is the basically the ranges you can at best achieve with non-powered guided monitions, and these are well catered by WMD-7 with its laser designation, laser ranging. it does have FLIR and TV support as well and can be used for reconnaissance for limited purposes but it is not an ISR pod. Sniper is no doubt the best ISR Pod with exceptional zoom and range and powerful image processing.

Pardon me, some of the values you have indicated in the specs for Tirshul POD is exceptional if true. For example, you mentioned that it has fighter detection range in head on as 120 km, which if true is extra-ordinary. Su-35 is said to have 35+ km range in head on) range while it can detect by about factor of two in case of rear quarter for enemy fighter and may be more with after-burners on. EFT's IRST is quoted to have 50+ km in frontal and 90+ km in rear quarter. If Tirshul Pod can detect head on in 120 km than it should be able to detect in rear quarter at about 240 km, which is extra-ordinary, good for you. Can you point to some reliable link where its specs can be checked?

WMD-7 is a targeting pod with main job of providing targeting support. In trails an F-16 at an altitude of between 30-40000 (I do not remember correct altitude) achieved the longest distance of 27 km with small diameter PGM. 25-30 km is the basically the ranges you can at best achieve with non-powered guided monitions, and these are well catered by WMD-7 with its laser designation, laser ranging. it does have FLIR and TV support as well and can be used for reconnaissance for limited purposes but it is not an ISR pod. Sniper is no doubt the best ISR Pod with exceptional zoom and range and powerful image processing.

Pardon me, some of the values you have indicated in the specs for Tirshul POD is exceptional if true. For example, you mentioned that it has fighter detection range in head on as 120 km, which if true is extra-ordinary. Su-35 is said to have 35+ km range in head on) range while it can detect by about factor of two in case of rear quarter for enemy fighter and may be more with after-burners on. EFT's IRST is quoted to have 50+ km in frontal and 90+ km in rear quarter. If Tirshul Pod can detect head on in 120 km than it should be able to detect in rear quarter at about 240 km, which is extra-ordinary, good for you. Can you point to some reliable link where its specs can be checked?

All I have is that information from the catalogue post at Trishul. However the figures are not far from A-star Jiangtsu's products advertising last year. If the WMD-7 has the same technology then it is possible.

Also don't we have a youtube video advertising the sniper XR showing it tracking an F-16 sideways at about 30nm?

No body has confirmed Chinese pod is not available to paf it may be paf or /and some future customer preference for French pod

What I heard from within wmd was tested and used but paf would like French for blk 3 and backup may be ....

Back
Top Bottom