What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is ground clutter and how does it effects a pilot vision during a dogfight and how does it effect radar?

ground clutter is the "noise" created by deflection of radar signals from ground objects, and it does not affects pilots "vision" however it makes it difficult for the pilot to search/track other planes flying below him.

What is ground clutter and how does it effects a pilot vision during a dogfight and how does it effect radar?

ground clutter is the "noise" created by deflection of radar signals from ground objects, and it does not affects pilots "vision" however it makes it difficult for the pilot to search/track other planes flying below him.

With so much computing power available these days i think algorithms must have been developed and this must not be a much worrying phenomenon these days?

Sir you forgot to add about the altitude differences and ground clutter affecting the RCS. And also please explain about gain and loss in the radar antenna. Will be more helpful.
I did not forgot.

Clutter is not an issue. If anything, when you are trying to control/reduce the RCS of your body, you DO NOT want to factor in clutter, ground or airborne, and clutter signals are considered contaminants and will give you false measurements of your body.

In order to get as true a measurement of your body as possible, you must isolate it from environment factors, which includes even cosmic background radiation (CBR), let alone radio, TV, and other stray radar signals from who knows elsewhere.

Clutter is a problem for the other guy to factor in. Same as antenna related issues, or rather HIS antenna. Not yours.

It is not that difficult to find out baseline background signals. Just fly high enough and point your radar at the ground, the sea, and/or the city. The city is the worst as far as contaminant signals goes. Then you follow the three steps of RCS control:

- Prediction
- Modeling
- Measurement

...Of your body in order to insert your body into this background. Remember, the goal of 'stealth' is to use background radiation to mask your own. So in order to do that, you must isolate your body from this set of signals and work to match its radiation output to that of the background.

If you are successful and once you are successful, then clutter becomes the other guy's problem because you are effectively living among clutter. If his antenna is sh1tty, that is his problem. Not yours.

@warnesyworld

Alan Warnes is a freelancer and consultant who also writes for AirForces Monthly.

can any 1 tell me that when will be JFT block 2 inducted in PAF? coz they were saying that induction will start from mid of 2012 or start of 2013. but it hasn't started yet. :coffee:

can any 1 tell me that when will be JFT block 2 inducted in PAF? coz they were saying that induction will start from mid of 2012 or start of 2013. but it hasn't started yet. :coffee:

last 5 JFTs are in final stage of assembly. After that 3rd squadron will be raised after that block 2

^^Not likely, JF-17 just doing its job for air show.

can JF-17 and F-16 of pak airforce used as boombers ? because what i read from this forum i dont think pak have any suitable boomber ?! correct me if i am wrong :)

can JF-17 and F-16 of pak airforce used as boombers ? because what i read from this forum i dont think pak have any suitable boomber ?! correct me if i am wrong :)

They are both multi-role, so yes they can be used as bombers. But JF-17 in particular is smallish and does not have a great load out because of the relatively under-powered engine. Plus the range is an issue as well. But in any case bombers are not really important for Pakistan's defense doctrine. Both would do well to defend our boundaries and even operate in enemy air-space if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom