What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Oscar

Hey Oscar,

Don't want to take up much of your time, but in the recent interview of PAF air chief, he says that 200-250 jf-17s are to be inducted. My Question is that is this going to be true as all we have been hearing is that PAF will get 150 JF-17s.

For 250 JF-17s we need more Russian engines. But it makes sense to have 250 JF-17s, Rose Mirages and then 60 odd F-16s for a fleet of 350-400 combat aircraft.

What do you say?

Nothing stops PAF switching to another engine halfway through the program.
My view concerning the 150 vs 250 is more of timing than the actual number. They maybe delays (like any defence/civilian program), but very likely the PAF will get it 250 JF-17s.
Looking at PAF situation and the threat analysis, there is a big need to upgrade. Considering the role of air power in modern warfare, the PAF will be on the priority list to get money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the reason why we are hearing 200 jf-17s instead of original 150 is that PAF hope to acquire J-10 and F-16s is fading...
anyway originaly PAF did kept "an option of another 100".
alot on f-16s will be clear in 2017-18 when bulk of USAF will start deploying F-35 and retiring F-16s.
regarding USA withdrawal from afghn , unless they want to keep zero presence, pakistan will remain important.
so it will all depend upon how good our politicians play politics and how much important is defense procurements for them..
if they play right we might get some more F-16s through EDA

Nothing stops PAF switching to another engine halfway through the program.
My view concerning the 150 vs 250 is more of timing than the actual number. They maybe delays (like any defence/civilian program), but very likely the PAF will get it 250 JF-17s.
Looking at PAF situation and the threat analysis, there is a big need to upgrade. Considering the role of air power in modern warfare, the PAF will be on the priority list to get money.
i dont know PAF would be on top list , but IT SHOULD BE

Aoa
Can any one tell me that how much jf17 Pakistan have at this time I heard that Pakistan purchased 150 engine for jf17 if it is true then why they are so slow no news about any new indection

It seem the number stands at 50 (including both produced by PAC and the ones delivered from China). As for things being slow there are many possible factors.
The economic condition is one, but more importantly keeping in mind that the JF-17 production was planned Batch-Wise, it is quite plausible that PAF is now putting the first batch through evaluation. Pilots getting to know the in's and out's of the plane that is poised to be the back bone of PAF for years to come. There feedback will modify the next batches. For Example, as described in the below post the mid-air-refueling in underway!!
Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Tahir Rafiq Butt in an interview to Defence Jane’s Weekly said that the PAF was enhancing the JF-17 Thunder, jointly produced by Pakistan and China, and its flight time through the Ilyushin Il-78 air tankers, with the tests set to be completed by the end of the summer.

“The ground tests have been very successful and I am satisfied. The air-to-air (refueling test) will be done successfully by end of this summer.”

Butt said that the PAF plans to induct between 200 and 250 JF-17 aircraft in an airforce which has an estimated strength of 400 fighter aircrafts.

PAF must prepare for a two-front situation in war on terror: Air Chief – The Express Tribune

Hope with the new government in place things will get back on track in a few months!

@Oscar

Hey Oscar,

Don't want to take up much of your time, but in the recent interview of PAF air chief, he says that 200-250 jf-17s are to be inducted. My Question is that is this going to be true as all we have been hearing is that PAF will get 150 JF-17s.

For 250 JF-17s we need more Russian engines. But it makes sense to have 250 JF-17s, Rose Mirages and then 60 odd F-16s for a fleet of 350-400 combat aircraft.

What do you say?

The number always stood at 150 Jf-17 with an option on additional 100 (that makes it 250 possible)
as for engines, keep an eye on WS-13 :)

@Arsalan @Tempest II @Oscar

Would it be possible to have a high-low mix, even, in the Jf-17 force mix ? Which is to say that we have a handful of Jf-17s for dedicated roles, armed with AESA Radar & other goodies of a high-end 4.5th Generation Platform whilst the rest & the majority of the Jf-17 continue on with the pulse doppler radar & the usual goodies that we've all talked about where each Block has minor modifications when compared with the preceding one.

Do you think the PAF would be thinking along these lines ?

Unless you have already carked it your wish has come true. You maynot see something but it does not mean it is not there.
Regards
araz

Thanks a lot sir but for some reasons don't know why your post sounds like one of those according to which JF-17 was to get IRST, AESA, HMS/HMD etc.. But I pray, I am wrong.
@Black Eagle 90 is that a real pic?

Would it be possible to have a high-low mix, even, in the Jf-17 force mix ? Which is to say that we have a handful of Jf-17s for dedicated roles, armed with AESA Radar & other goodies of a high-end 4.5th Generation Platform whilst the rest & the majority of the Jf-17 continue on with the pulse doppler radar & the usual goodies that we've all talked about where each Block has minor modifications when compared with the preceding one.

That is a good question and I definitely can see that as a possibility and an efficient way to use the assets. I believe the RAF Tornado had at least three variants: A2A, A2G and recce versions. While the platform is multirole but a few subsystems and squadrons can be tasked with mastering a narrower set of roles.

Once AESA becomes available, PAF might find they benefit more with it in A2A. Funds will always be limited, and s they may keep the mechanical radar on the unit focusing on A2G. Similarly should a more powerful engines become available, they maybe conclude this will benefit a particular squadron/role vs the other and put the money/new engine there.

Thanks a lot sir but for some reasons don't know why your post sounds like one of those according to which JF-17 was to get IRST, AESA, HMS/HMD etc.. But I pray, I am wrong.

Is a graphic image but its similar to the real one... I am sure.

That is a good question and I definitely can see that as a possibility and an efficient way to use the assets. I believe the RAF Tornado had at least three variants: A2A, A2G and recce versions. While the platform is multirole but a few subsystems and squadrons can be tasked with mastering a narrower set of roles.

Once AESA becomes available, PAF might find they benefit more with it in A2A. Funds will always be limited, and s they may keep the mechanical radar on the unit focusing on A2G. Similarly should a more powerful engines become available, they maybe conclude this will benefit a particular squadron/role vs the other and put the money/new engine there.

Thank You for the reply ! :)

But I was thinking less along the lines of A2A, A2G or Recce Configurations & more along the lines of a qualitative difference between the high-low mix of the Jf-17 force mix in that we've got some Jf-17s which are better Multi Role Platforms than the other.

What I'm trying to get at is that if there are 3 or 4 Squadrons of Jf-17s that are armed with a KLJ-7 Pulse Doppler Radar or one that is marginally better than there is 1 Squadron of Jf-17s armed with a Western Origin AESA Radar !

And that this disparity is in other features as well - RCS Reduction measures as opposed to None in the majority, Some Composites used to better the T/W Ratio as opposed to None in the majority & more potent weapons used as opposed to standard issue ones in the majority !

In a way some Jf-17s are Elite when compared with the Standard Versions of it that are more widespread in the Airforce !

You may think what you want my friend as I simply cant change your thinking. However there is credible infromation from people like Pshamim saheb and others that this has happened. BVR had become a priority for PAF and to not have the capability in a fourth generation fighter would be an unforgiveable sin. IRST has been incorporated on a pod for use. HMS/HMD has been demonstrated and shown to be on PAFs wish list if not already incorporated. As soon as we have 5th gen. SRAAM it will be incorporated. These are all logical steps in development of PAF and there is no reason to think otherwise.
Araz

@Oscar

Hey Oscar,

What do you say?

As already stated by other members answering this; the 150 number was always the initial buy but due to stringent economic measures the PAF had to look at sticking with only 150 for the time being along with their F-16s and Rose mirages. Somewhere around 300-350 combat aircraft.

The aircraft is capable of avionics evolution quite easily for the next 15 years. It would be possible to have a high low mix but the PAF already has its mind set on having the latest avionics on the newer aircraft and then upgrading it down the fleet.

As already stated by other members answering this; the 150 number was always the initial buy but due to stringent economic measures the PAF had to look at sticking with only 150 for the time being along with their F-16s and Rose mirages. Somewhere around 300-350 combat aircraft.

The aircraft is capable of avionics evolution quite easily for the next 15 years. It would be possible to have a high low mix but the PAF already has its mind set on having the latest avionics on the newer aircraft and then upgrading it down the fleet.
@Oscar in case of war with India are JF-17 which Pakistan already have are ready for war I mean fully ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom