What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it be that when the aircraft is carrying external load, the landing speed is higher than when it's in clean configuration.
Hence the drag chute is applied for former configuration. ??

Airplanes are configured so that they can land solely on wheel and air brakes. Chute is nowhere in the equation. THe reason it is used is to reduce wear and tear on the brakes as they are pretty expensive (for everybody, from Emirates to PAF to Zimbabwe). Full load or empty, a aircraft will probably use chutes in peace time to achieve a bit shorter landing distance without using brakes aggressively, as a quick turn around time is not needed in peace time.

In war, it is a different story though. You need to move quick, so no need to start deploying chutes and reducing brakes.

Airplanes are configured so that they can land solely on wheel and air brakes. Chute is nowhere in the equation. THe reason it is used is to reduce wear and tear on the brakes as they are pretty expensive (for everybody, from Emirates to PAF to Zimbabwe). Full load or empty, a aircraft will probably use chutes in peace time to achieve a bit shorter landing distance without using brakes aggressively, as a quick turn around time is not needed in peace time.

In war, it is a different story though. You need to move quick, so no need to start deploying chutes and reducing brakes.

All of the above is true. But another factor is the airfield being used; i.e. the length of runway available. A civilian airfield like Dubai has a (much) longer runway than most military airfields, so why even deploy the chute; if one can decelerate just on air-brakes and sporadic wheel-braking? Some military airfields may also not necessitate use of tail-chutes for the same reason.

check this out, nice concept work ;)

qfwMiC8.jpg

Are brake chutes always used with a JFT landing?

I highly doubt it...

Usually always preferred.. The Chute saves wear and tear on the brakes..

The Chute you can repack and use again and again..
The brakes wear out eventually and need replacement.

They may also be used within wartime.. a combination of Brakes and Chutes will reduce the landing roll considerably.. The Stand-by follow-me truck an grab the Chute quickly..
Only if multiple aircraft are landing in a quick secession would there be a preference to use the brakes to avoid anything being left on the runway.

Oddly.. the PAF did not order its F-16's with chutes..

Usually always preferred.. The Chute saves wear and tear on the brakes..

The Chute you can repack and use again and again..
The brakes wear out eventually and need replacement.

They may also be used within wartime.. a combination of Brakes and Chutes will reduce the landing roll considerably.. The Stand-by follow-me truck an grab the Chute quickly..
Only if multiple aircraft are landing in a quick secession would there be a preference to use the brakes to avoid anything being left on the runway.

Oddly.. the PAF did not order its F-16's with chutes..
@Oscar*
I believe of the original, only the Norwegian batch had the chutes, not sure about the newer models.
It's said that after touch down, the F-16 keeps the nose up longer than other aircraft as it's under shape acts as an air-brake.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Oscar*
I believe of the original, only the Norwegian batch had the chutes, not sure about the newer models.
It's said that after touch down, the F-16 keeps the nose up longer than other aircraft as it's under shape acts as an air-brake.

The drag chute is used by a lot of F-16 customers.. including newer ones..
The Poles , the Turks, the HAF.. all have drag chutes.

Any F-16 with that extended tail housing is likely drag chute equipped.
Our Block-52's also have that extended tail housing...with what appears to be more pronounced ECM bumps as compared to other block-52 models.

Our Block-52's also have that extended tail housing...with what appears to be more pronounced ECM bumps as compared to other block-52 models.

Jordan, Belgium and Israel also have ECM suites in them AFAIK.

@Oscar Why is that some aircraft from the same weight class have to use chutes for landings and others don't ?

Jordan, Belgium and Israel also have ECM suites in them AFAIK.

Their bumps arent as pronounced... probably due to the ITT suite being different from what the others use.. the Moroccan ones would have the same.

@Oscar Why is that some aircraft from the same weight class have to use chutes for landings and others don't ?

Matter of preference really.. and cost savings..
A chute just needs to be repacked.. no costs.
Brake pads for aircraft approx $10000.

Their bumps arent as pronounced... probably due to the ITT suite being different from what the others use.. the Moroccan ones would have the same.

Matter of preference really.. and cost savings..
A chute just needs to be repacked.. no costs.
Brake pads for aircraft approx $10000.

But how long does it take for the chute to be prepared for the next flight? Might affect the sortie rate, no?

Wait.....so the longer tail housing is for ECM and ECCM? I thought it was for chutes on the CFT equipped versions of our f-16s.

But how long does it take for the chute to be prepared for the next flight? Might affect the sortie rate, no?

Wait.....so the longer tail housing is for ECM and ECCM? I thought it was for chutes on the CFT equipped versions of our f-16s.

The chute packing does not take that long.. moreover.. you would have packed chutes ready for a hot turnaround.

And the larger tail housing has the chute.. the ECM equipment is in the bumps on the tail housing

I was wondering if anyone have any idea about the navigational system employed by JF-17 i.e. GPS , Glonass , Beidu.

which is (are) operational navigational system(s) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom