What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
plawolf from Sinodefenceforum translates the interview of the missile engineer from the video:

For those who don't speak Chinese, here is a brief summary of what was said in that video.

The interview is with an Engineer Zhang, who is one of the engineers on the project team that developed the CM-400AKG.

Key Missile stats:
-Range: 100-240km
-Speed: Up to 5.5M
-Diameter: 400mm (zhang did not say if this is with or without fins, but I think it's pretty obvious that this is without fins)
-Length: 5.2m
-Weight: 900kg (approx)
-Guidance: Inertia + Terminal, Terminal guidance methods include: Passive Radar, IR or Visible light (I assume he meant TV guidance).

Other useful bits include repeated emphasis that the missile's entire flight is within the atmosphere (so this isn't an air launched ballistic missile).

Interestingly, when asked to give examples of the kinds of targets the CM-400AKG might be used against, Zhang listed mostly land based high value fixed targets, like command centers, bridges, air defense radar, or even ship borne radar.

With everyone jumping on the 'carrier killer' bandwagon, it appears that the anti-radiation element of this missile's capabilities have been completely overlooked, but I think that the fact that this missile can be configured to be used a 240km M5.5 anti-radiation missile is by far the biggest and most important revelation from the whole interview (maybe the whole air show). The PLA is still relying mainly on YJ82s and YJ62s for AShM work because the CM-400AKG is not primarily an anti-ship missile.

Instead of calling the CM-400AKG a 'carrier killer' a far more appropriate nickname might be 'patriot killer'.

Considering China's access to Russian S300 missile systems and the specs of the missile, if Pakistan also has the ARM version of the CM-400AKG, its impact on the balance of military power in the region could be profound as could potentially allow them to field an effective counter against the best SAMs deployed in the region.

The fact that China seemed to have developed an IR sensor that can function at up to 5.5M speeds is another small but important revelation that makes an ASBM seem more credible.

A better engine such as the F-100 would make the JF-17 airframe sparkle in performance, for sure. I have agreed many times before that what the plane needs is more power, as shown clearly by the flying displays. Without this improvement, the JF-17 will always fall short of its true potential.

How far are Chinese from their engine WS-10 (I guess this is the name they use)? How about upgraded Russian engine for JF-17?

Fully agreed. The realities however forces one to take a more pragmatic approach. We have been stung badly in the past. Do we let go of our noodles and go for another embargo prone engine. Heck even the french held onto our Mirages in 2002, and need I say more after the lynx episode about the British. The chinese are struggling and will continue to do so for 3--5 yrs. Where do we go? We made the only choice that we could piggy backing on the chinese economic might. The game might change once the chinese work out the chinks in their engines. The russians would be forced to compete and might bring out an uprated engine in competition. What does PAF do then?I suspect we will be entering that phase in 3--5 yrs
Araz

I agree with the plan to circumvent the past problems caused by embargoes as you have mentioned. Better to have a reliable B+ airplane than a A-category one that cannot be relied upon in times of greatest need.

I am also sure that further development of the platform in the years to come will buff up the performance incrementally.

BTW, I loved this sentence: "The game might change once the chinese work out the chinks in their engines." I am sure you did not mean the great pun in there. Or did you? :D

How far are Chinese from their engine WS-10 (I guess this is the name they use)? How about upgraded Russian engine for JF-17?

The Chinese are making rapid strides in engine technology, and will likely catch up within a decade or two.

WS-10 is too big.
RD-93MA with around 98KN of Thrust would be ready in a couple of years.
WS-13 with 100Kn of Thrust is under development, may take 4-5 years.
F-100 - US won't sell them to Pakistan, nor are they sanction proof.

I hope PAF learned its lessons from f16 sanctions, if it did then I don't think PAF will only buy 150 engines, there must be some replacement units to be used during overhaul period and some as emergency spares.

If the engine order was for 500 originally, then someone in PAF knew about the upcoming J-31, because if 100-150 went to PAF for JF-17, then someone could easily guess where the rest would go (Obviously not for J-11, J-15,16s or J-10s).

In any case, it is good news. Becausue J-31s can be inducted with similar engines.

From Zhuhai with love
8210275343_a83360b2d8_b.jpg

8211367964_a0e293ef19_b.jpg

New cockpit for JFT?
8211365962_d08fb0e3bd_b.jpg

Don't you guys think the avionics in the pic above a bit too big for JFT ?

plawolf from Sinodefenceforum translates the interview of the missile engineer from the video:
With everyone jumping on the 'carrier killer' bandwagon, it appears that the anti-radiation element of this missile's capabilities have been completely overlooked, but I think that the fact that this missile can be configured to be used a 240km M5.5 anti-radiation missile is by far the biggest and most important revelation from the whole interview (maybe the whole air show). The PLA is still relying mainly on YJ82s and YJ62s for AShM work because the CM-400AKG is not primarily an anti-ship missile.

Instead of calling the CM-400AKG a 'carrier killer' a far more appropriate nickname might be 'patriot killer'.

Considering China's access to Russian S300 missile systems and the specs of the missile, if Pakistan also has the ARM version of the CM-400AKG, its impact on the balance of military power in the region could be profound as could potentially allow them to field an effective counter against the best SAMs deployed in the region.

Question: How would the ARM version of CM-400AKG compare with MAR-1 ARM?

WS-10 is too big.
RD-93MA with around 98KN of Thrust would be ready in a couple of years.
WS-13 with 100Kn of Thrust is under development, may take 4-5 years.
F-100 - US won't sell them to Pakistan, nor are they sanction proof.

OK , so WS-10 is fully ready and operational but the reason JF-17 can't have it is because WS-10 is too big? Did I get it right?

RD-93MA with 98KN of thrust will be a real game changer for JF-17 Thunder!

Question: How would the ARM version of CM-400AKG compare with MAR-1 ARM?

CM-400AKG has better range, more speed and definitely more warhead as compare to MAR-1. But not much is known about its ARM version, If it exist the it would be something very lethal.

OK , so WS-10 is fully ready and operational but the reason JF-17 can't have it is because WS-10 is too big? Did I get it right?

RD-93MA with 98KN of thrust will be a real game changer for JF-17 Thunder!

In engine selection efficiency, thrust/power, weight and fuel consumption matters. Placement of engine in a fighter jet requires detail study of aerodynamic and airframe design of that aircraft (that is the difficult part). Engine must have uninterrupted airflow and should fit perfectly well in the aircraft's design (and RCS profile).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom