What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
NABIL confirmed that block 2 will have AESA

The PAF programme team at PAC in Kamra are now finalising the design for the Block 2 version of the aircraft. PAF and CAC officials listed some of the main features of the next iteration of the aircraft, including a new advanced complement of avionics and an air-to-air-refuelling capability, as well as the development of a two-seat variant. There is also a new version of the aircraft's China Electronics Technology Corporation (CETC) KG300G electronic warfare suite that expands the coverage of its frequency band.

However, there are no plans at present to change out the aircraft's Nanjing Research Institute of Electronics Technology (NRIET) KLJ-7 radar set for an alternative model. PAF programme executives told Jane's : "The KLJ-7 was our choice; the Chengdu team proposed another radar set but we took this one and have now made a number of improvements to it to the point where we are very satisfied with it."

P.S. Not that Nabil is wrong but some time decision changes. If someone told Nabil AESA was confirmed then might be decision changed afterwards and they opted to keep the same radar.

Chinese calling it being loaded with KD-88 +yj-83k......

with two different antiship missiles.. more surprised

FC-106YJ-83yellow-02.jpg
looks like a YJ-83.....so the design team hit the nail....FC-1 is undergoing separate testing.......
yj83jan4io5.jpg

21863187.jpg

YJ-83_missile.jpg

but it looks a bit slimmer than the orignal YJ-83

Nabil bro.. ur views on the recent news abt improved KLJ-7 radars and AESA would be welcome!

... ...
As a hint.. two different anti-ship missiles, two different customer requirements.

Some are saying the two we saw in the past 2-3 weeks were dummys and these could live rounds for actual live firing trial.

The PAF programme team at PAC in Kamra are now finalising the design for the Block 2 version of the aircraft. PAF and CAC officials listed some of the main features of the next iteration of the aircraft, including a new advanced complement of avionics and an air-to-air-refuelling capability, as well as the development of a two-seat variant. There is also a new version of the aircraft's China Electronics Technology Corporation (CETC) KG300G electronic warfare suite that expands the coverage of its frequency band.

However, there are no plans at present to change out the aircraft's Nanjing Research Institute of Electronics Technology (NRIET) KLJ-7 radar set for an alternative model. PAF programme executives told Jane's : "The KLJ-7 was our choice; the Chengdu team proposed another radar set but we took this one and have now made a number of improvements to it to the point where we are very satisfied with it."

P.S. Not that Nabil is wrong but some time decision changes. If someone told Nabil AESA was confirmed then might be decision changed afterwards and they opted to keep the same radar.
Even in the initial rumor, the plan was that the plane will have to be shipped to China for installation of AESA radar. But if AESA was to make its way so early then the manufucaturing of KLJ-7 would not make any sense (other than if there was an export demand for it)
Defence Security Report

well, an AESA version is being tested on a prototype (diamond shape one) along with other goodies that i mentioned earlier but i cannot overrule the Airchief. ;)

Its just that PAF might have opted not to go for AESA in blk 2 otherwise i don't see any reason why it is not there since it is bieng tested for almost a two years.

Some are saying the two we saw in the past 2-3 weeks were dummys and these could live rounds for actual live firing trial.
perhaps to test the performance by simluating the load....the weapon testing will likely to happen around Dingxing

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

well, an AESA version is being tested on a prototype (diamond shape one) along with other goodies that i mentioned earlier but i cannot overrule the Airchief. ;)

Its just that PAF might have opted not to go for AESA in blk 2 otherwise i don't see any reason why it is not there since it is bieng tested for almost a two years.
It is under testing but still not yet operational....I think thats what held PAF back....if KLJ is doing fine, then there would have been no hurry to go for AESA.

perhaps to test the performance by simluating the load....the weapon testing will likely to happen around Dingxing

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

It is under testing but still not yet operational....I think thats what held PAF back....if KLJ is doing fine, then there would have been no hurry to go for AESA.

To be honest, KLJ was a good and ruggedly tested radar from the word go since it was developed under PAF engineer's supervision. From reports that i got, it was modular enough that every glitch was tweaked immediately. Currently, it is by far the best PD radar in PAF fighter fleet. This goes to show their trust in the radar. SAR mode is also better than that of Grifo-M series!

To be honest, KLJ was a good and ruggedly tested radar from the word go since it was developed under PAF engineer's supervision. From reports that i got, it was modular enough that every glitch was tweaked immediately. Currently, it is by far the best PD radar in PAF fighter fleet. This goes to show their trust in the radar. SAR mode is also better than that of Grifo-M series!

I wish it had terrain following mode!

With all the other radars the Chinese benchmarked against, and all their advances in technology and manufacturing, I don't expect the Chinese to have got it wrong with the KLJ-7.

Can you compare upgraded KLJ-7 with V(9) version of the AN/APG-68 used on our F-16s?

with two different antiship missiles.. more surprised

FC-106YJ-83yellow-02.jpg

Good to see it is fit, why it can't handle more heavy like SD-10A or B.

Whether AESA or not for Blk 2, I had no worry, I trust both China and Pakistan works together, they know the best

Good to see it is fit, why it can't handle more heavy like SD-10A or B.

Whether AESA or not for Blk 2, I had no worry, I trust both China and Pakistan works together, they know the best
????????????? SD-10A is almost 4th times lighter than YJ83 (200KG vs ~850KGs) . Moreover, YJ-83 is though heavier than C-802AK (600KGs), but out ranges C-802AK by around 70KM.....

????????????? SD-10A is almost 4th times lighter than YJ83 (200KG vs ~850KGs) . Moreover, YJ-83 is though heavier than C-802AK (600KGs), but out ranges C-802AK by around 70KM.....

Sorry for my errors, I forgot. I read somewhere it says it can't fit it. JFT is light plane some of heavy missiles can't adjust.

I think it makes sense introduction to AESA could take place when it matures for the next 2 Years KLJ-7 is more then enough to satisfy PAF's requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom