What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is This image for real or another fanboy creation?

I was under the impression that second batch of thunders will have superior avionics and nthing much else is going to change from the current design.

However i do know that third batch will have cinsiderable design changes from current block.

Please could you shed any light on to if another design is being worked on currently and if so is your image the future?.

Kind Regards

it is nothing but a speculation, if you look at the top right corner of the pic you can clearly see that it is PS!. moreover as far as i am concerned, i dont think that JF will ever turn into a thing like this. look we plan to change radar and avionics, engines and now if the structure also ever take such massive upgrades i dont see a point that it will be a JF by any means.
as far as i consider, we may not see massive changes in airframe design as even the upgrades planned wont need many,
i hope i have made my point clear!

regards!

It would seem that Selex-Galileo has stepped up to offer Grifo-S for use on JF-17:

http://www.selex-sas.com/EN/Common/files/SELEX_Galileo/Products/GRIFO_S.pdf

Of note is the capability to upgrade Grifo-S with an Electronic Scanning Antenna.

Thanks for that info. Note how the radar is in the same performance bracket as the KLJ-7. Seems it has more modes than the KLJ-7 but if you check the weights (120kg), MTBF (220 hrs), and tracked targets = 10: they seem to be matched. Slightly shorter range for the Grifo S (92km vs 105km for the KLJ-7). ... ... and apparently the radar already on the JF-17 is better than the KLJ-7 specifications we have.

Guys there are news that JF-17 will get KLJ-10 afterwards.

Thanks for the picture man, i had been searching for it for a long time.:pakistan:

Last edited:
Guys there are news that JF-17 will get KLJ-10 afterwards.

I did not get to finish typing all I wanted to say. One PAF official said if the West was to beat the KLJ radar on the JF-17, they had to offer a lot more. … … Looking at the Grifo S, comparing with the KLJ-7, I don’t think it has “a lot more” to offer although I like the ground avoidance mode which seems to be missing on the KLJ-7. … … And yes, we have beet told the radar on the JF-17 has better specification than what we know of the KLJ-7 … … and some sources has suggested it is a KLJ-10 radar. … … Could be if we buy that the J-10B is getting equipped with an AESA.

I did not get to finish typing all I wanted to say. One PAF official said if the West was to beat the KLJ radar on the JF-17, they had to offer a lot more. … … Looking at the Grifo S, comparing with the KLJ-7, I don’t think it has “a lot more” to offer although I like the ground avoidance mode which seems to be missing on the KLJ-7. … … And yes, we have beet told the radar on the JF-17 has better specification than what we know of the KLJ-7 … … and some sources has suggested it is a KLJ-10 radar. … … Could be if we buy that the J-10B is getting equipped with an AESA.

Quite right and IIRC, Story of Girfo S has forgotten one now. We may see something like RDY from France for 2nd batch or may be RC-400 but i don't think RDY,RC-400 or Girfo S has too much advantage over current JF-17's radar so I think going for AESA is best option.

Last edited:
so GRIFO-S7 is not as good as the KLJ-7 except in terms of ground avoidance mode!! why are we choosing it then? and why do we have to choose these when we can try and go for the GRIFO-2000/16 or some other French radar.....why the whole love for the ITALIAN system....

but then again nothing has been official no contract has been signed so i guess it is all just rumors.....but i don't understand why doesn't PAF raise its demands like the indians did for the MRCA....they said we want ToT we want licence production we want god knows everything if you want to compete in the MRCA why doesn't PAF float a tender for a competition amongst radar companies and maybe we might get a great deal!!!! that includes AESA with long range more multiple target tracking capability as well as burn through jamming capability and so on

that would surely make the JF a formidable fighter!! so all the PAF needs to do is float a tender.... the only place the indians go wrong is that they are to complacent and slow in making a decision....we should just make it faster and not drag it like them for 2 decades!!!!

can you tell me detail about this radar thank's

Vixen 1000ES AESA Fire Control Radar
The Vixen 1000ES radar is a wide field of regard system optimised for multi-role/ swing role operations. The system features comprehensive mode suite for both A/A and A/G including interleaved operation, ensuring high availability and reliability. The Vixen 1000ES, a collaborative programme with SELEX Galileo, SAAB Microwave and SAAB Aerosystems, builds on established technology from the European leaders in AESA radars and has a clear route map to future capability.:pakistan:

when will the first squadron be inducted enough talk about Block IIs and IIIs lets get our ones first with the cheap KLJ-7s and no BVRs

so GRIFO-S7 is not as good as the KLJ-7 except in terms of ground avoidance mode!! why are we choosing it then? and why do we have to choose these when we can try and go for the GRIFO-2000/16 or some other French radar.....why the whole love for the ITALIAN system....

but then again nothing has been official no contract has been signed so i guess it is all just rumors.....but i don't understand why doesn't PAF raise its demands like the indians did for the MRCA....they said we want ToT we want licence production we want god knows everything if you want to compete in the MRCA why doesn't PAF float a tender for a competition amongst radar companies and maybe we might get a great deal!!!! that includes AESA with long range more multiple target tracking capability as well as burn through jamming capability and so on

that would surely make the JF a formidable fighter!! so all the PAF needs to do is float a tender.... the only place the indians go wrong is that they are to complacent and slow in making a decision....we should just make it faster and not drag it like them for 2 decades!!!!

I was not making a definitive comparison – I was mentioning what I could deduce with my “untrained eye”, … … in fact the post was meant to solicit other people’s options/expertise, i.e. have us discuss/try to list what we make of the two radar. I was saying “unless I am missing something big, it does not seem to be a radar PAF would convert to especially after having a more or less similar/cheaper system installed in 50 planes.”

I agree with you that it seems there is nor reason to go for the Grifo S when you look at the above specifications. One thing to remember however is that it is very likely that both manufacturers are telling the full story of their radars. There are other attributes of a radar we don’t understand and most forumites (like me) tend to ignore or are unaware of. One that comes to mind is the anti-jamming and jamming capability.

One thing I noticed is that the KLJ-7 is missing the scan angles. I have checked the Zhuk-ME specifications which I believe will be very close to the KLJ-7 and these are +/-85 horizontal scan +56/-40 vertical scan. This compared to +/-60 for both horizontal and vertical on the Grifo S.

when will the first squadron be inducted enough talk about Block IIs and IIIs lets get our ones first with the cheap KLJ-7s and no BVRs

KLJ7 has BVR as well, but i doubt KLJ7 is fitted on JF-17 Block1 as we have been told by some trustworthy sources, although the exact radar model has not been conveyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom