What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Shouldnt AESA seeker help the missile evade jamming in heavy EW environment, irrespective of the range?

PL-15E
F7E9B014-BE97-4DA3-8F42-AF47E706B939.jpeg
09F7F504-00DC-4F2E-B0DB-E9FF9D4A41EA.jpeg

It’s easier to design a missile around a plane vs a plane around a missile.
Improving the design of the plane has more benefits as well and future improvement space as well. You are just improving the envelope for designing future attachments.

Check out the study about Airbus vs Boeing Aircrafts, when there was a need for improvment.

It was first rumored in 2011 that 607 Institute was developing the next generation of active radar homing LRAAM dubbed PL-15 replacing PL-12 which is comparable to American AIM-120D. The missile was initially speculated as a PL-12 variant (PL-12C?) but it appears to be a new design. PL-15 features redesigned stabilizing fins and tail control fins with smaller wingspans in order to fit into the internal weapon bay of J-20 (up to 4). It is expected to be carried internally by FC-31 as well. A major improvement of the missile is a new a dual pulse rocket motor which could extend its kinetic range up to 200km. Its two-way datalink+inertial+Beidou+active/passive dual mode AESA seeker onboard will give it an excellent ECCM capability against severe jamming. A PL-15 prototype was first seen underneath the wing of a J-11B testbed in 2012. In 2013 PL-15 was first seen inside J-20's main internal weapon bay during its weapon integration tests. It was reported by US intelligence that PL-15 was successfully test-fired from a J-11B in 2015. In 2016 PL-15 started to be carried by J-10C, J-11B and by J-16 a year later. It is unveiled at the 2021 Zhuhai Airshow that PL-15 has been cleared for export as PL-15E. Some specifications (PL-15E): length 3996mm, diameter 203mm, weight 210kg, max range 145km.

Looks like PL-15E (145 KM) compared to original PL-15 (170+ KM) will be what PL-9C (16KM Range) compared to PLAAF's PL-8B (20KM). Export version is downgraded. Question remains, is it still using dual-pulse motor to increase its NEZ? But this also answer the question about on-going J-10C buzz. May be Chinese have linked the release of PL-15 with purchase of J-10C. After all, it beats the purpose of having two similar performance aircraft. But these are just my thoughts and i can be wrong.

Yo be honest I have not seen official/semi official sources saying it has AESA seeker.

This is what i hate about us Pakistanis.We don't confirm or verify and start jumping the moment we hear some news about thunder.300km range....now where did that come from.Even the version PLAAF is using has around 200km range if i'm not wrong.Correct me if i'm wrong bro.We need to learn how to compose our excitements.We need to stop embarrassing ourselves.Someone from the seniors must come forward and put up the facts, real range of the missile and which version will come with the thunder.Thank you

PL-15 Chinese sources however have mentioned AESA seeker and dual band or something like that. So this is not unfounded unlike 300km range which was probably from confusion and repeating when confused with PL-2x range.

As for PL-15 seeker, it is known to be much more capable and expensive than PL-12s and said in Chinese sources for years to have AESA and dual bands or dual type.

Even PL-12 is active seeker but unsure if it is some phased array type. We should remember that AESA modules and technology in China is very matured and nearly two decades of technology experience and constantly improving and breaking new ground. With mass production the cost is brought down and already these modules are cheap. Even GaN modules you can buy and access as civilian level is cheap now. I do not believe PL-15 would not at least be using some good AESA possibly is upgraded as the technology improves. I would not even be surprised is new PL-12 missiles are going to be using AESA seekers but that just depends on the pricing and how many PL-12 are bought and difference of price between it and PL-15.

This is what i hate about us Pakistanis.We don't confirm or verify and start jumping the moment we hear some news about thunder.300km range....now where did that come from.Even the version PLAAF is using has around 200km range if i'm not wrong.Correct me if i'm wrong bro.We need to learn how to compose our excitements.We need to stop embarrassing ourselves.Someone from the seniors must come forward and put up the facts, real range of the missile and which version will come with the thunder.Thank you
looool bro i don’t think you know me

Nowhere i have read 200
Its >150 Everywhere
PLXX is assumed to be 300 but no info exists
images (1).jpeg
article_614ade2054f652_54007490.jpg

See how PL XX is almost twice size of PL 15
D1TFCYDX0AANsnL.png

Air Cooled LKF 601 E radar Spec, Remember in first video of LFK letri radar they stated that radar is able to upgrade previous blocks as well without any additional structural modification

Range for fighter jets : est 200 Km
Air to ground Map : 300 Km
Air to Sea : 320 km
Track targets : 20
Engage Simoultenously : 4

1632914374549.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom