What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Any chance they are adding a towed decoy with the Block III; I know there are plans for expendable decoys but the plane might really need a towed decoy
Was this intake there for B2? May be exit for it... Better @The Eagle can point out. I can see two sensors (or hinge) above dragchute lid. The black rectangle can be to detect IR homing. However, backward MAWS should be embeded in the vertical tail suite?
Maybe it’s an intake for an APU, but it might need to be bigger for that.

To cool IR sensor? APU near the exhaust? Not a good environment to operate a power unit. Perhaps heat recovery system, but that is stupid :D . Or some cooler air around some critical part to prevent over heating.
Maybe it’s an intake for an APU, but it might need to be bigger for that.

Can't wait to see the Thunder block III armed with PL10s, SD10s and PL15s with the pilot sitting inside wearing the HMDS...

Attachments

• 1641403755361.png
    1641403755361.png
    275.9 KB · Views: 66
Let's see if there is any difference between the first Prototype and the Production variant.

View attachment 805868

View attachment 805869

To me the prototype looks taller with a straight fuselage where as the production variant looks a bit declined towards the rear end.
Wondering if the rear landing gear can be raised and lowered as happens with some carrier based aircraft.
More ground clearance will allow bigger or certain SOW to be mounted on the centreline pylon.

Can't wait to see the Thunder block III armed with PL10s, SD10s and PL15s with the pilot sitting inside wearing the HMDS...
The image I spoke of ☝ has 'him' wearing a basic GENTEX as their doing Speed Taxi Tests.

Not sure about HMD's.

Oh & that pic will be released in a couple of days. Don't ask - I have 0 say with the guys at Ace of PAF.

I believe that is just a light for A2A refueling operations. It has been present on B2 (circle):
View attachment 806132
The square highlights the panels that are replaced when the A2A probe needs to be attached.
Will there be sufficient room? Just saying it is the cockpit... I guessed the previous point bcz last time, they attached the probe even aft of cockpit.. Anyway, the air duct is normally a panel (weaker) whereas cockpit is rainforced area but not roomy. But that point is above the wing so probably the strongest area. You are right that the light is in B2 too.
P.S. Nope, couldn't fight the light in B2.

Attachments

• 1641404278721.png
    1641404278721.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
To cool IR sensor? APU near the exhaust? Not a good environment to operate a power unit. Perhaps heat recovery system, but that is stupid :D . Or some cooler air around some critical part to prevent over heating.

Maybe air supply to a Jammer in the tail like on the Rafale? I’m mot sure if the Rafale jammer needs an Air supply; but air cooling the electronics? Or maybe supplement air to the engine.

Maybe they could put a towed decoy where the parachute goes instead and the air intake will help in some regards to that?:D

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom