What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Yep. If not F-16s, the next preferred solution was the Typhoon T3. Yes, it would've been the costliest solution, but the 24 aircraft would've built on the 75-odd F-16s relatively well with some interoperability. You could also take both platforms out to multi-national exercises to fine-tune procedures outside of your comfort zone. IIRC you could also deploy the AMRAAM C5 and JDAM from the T3.

Typhoon T3 is the best solution, though the US might still meddle out of habit. But given the current financial status there might be no Western aircraft induction for the foreseeable future.

I am also not pinning hopes on AZM, since many keep trumpeting it, given Pakistan's present financial and technical incapacitation. Sure, solution for the technical issue could be outsourced from China but we are virtually sitting with empty pockets.

Leasing measly numbers of J-10Cs, as many have promoted here, is the worst idea. To invest in something you do not actually own and then build an infrastructure around it would be waste of resources of epic proportions.

I am afraid, unless a government that is able to exercise balance between the smaller services and the bigger service comes to power and is also able to revive the economy, we would not see a worthy induction for the Air Force. Navy got lucky in the past decade or so with two administrations having chalked out its induction plan. Plus, China was poking Pakistan to improve the PN to secure its sea trade in the Arabian Sea.

Please keep the topic intact with subject. Utilize New Fighter for PAF Doctrine thread for other aircrafts.

PAF ordered 4Chinese ZDK-03 AWACS to command their JF-17s years ago,do you think peoples in PAF are all stupid?

No, and the Chinese AWACS were not bought for the JF-17 but were a controversial decision which many in the PAF did not want and which is why NO MORE Chinese AWACS were bought and which is also why they developed their own datalink and focus on the Saab Awacs and not rely on the Chinese AWACS. The Chinese AWACS cannot talk to F-16s but the SAAB can talk to them
and JF-17s and AD systems too which is why the PAF recently increased the number of SAAB systems they have and NOT the ZDK-03.

not correct, PAC still imports the front fuselag
This is part of the workshare division between PAC and CATIC not related to actual capability. You need to look for the history of Mirages in PAF to understand the capabilities of PAC.

ISPR sucks eggs at PR and not good at splashing their stuff.
It will be a low key induction at a random date.
No they will tell you when they need to tell u.
You are not in the loop for the defence of the nation
32-40 odd F-16s had the Indians soiling their dhotis for twenty years. Two squadrons of Typhoons with Meteor will have the same impact and would be a true stopgap till Azm comes to fruition.
Or 3 squarons of jf17 block 3 with asea each loaded with 4 pl15 and sd10s on dual racks and short range on tips

Last edited:
History of mirages has nothing to do with the lack of technical capability to build front fuselage of Thunder.

This is part of the workshare division between PAC and CATIC not related to actual capability. You need to look for the history of Mirages in PAF to understand the capabilities of PAC.

Last edited:
on the note of datalink talk, AFAIK, the Erieye can be loaded with whatever you like, assuming the J-10s would use a homegrown system, it really shouldnt be a problem as they can act like a relay node. This is infact how it works already when sharing the feed from different systems, i.e naval Link 11/22 can then be fed to a multilink unit like an AWACs or MPA which can then relay that info to appropriate units via LINK-16, though now we do have other surface based multilink units anyway. But long story short, its doable, its not a problem, presumably with minimal modifcations, i.e racks/terminals would need to be installed, then the rest should theoretically be able to be handled through what is already present

Fabrication is just one aspect. Let us discuss: 1. Actual metal alloys are not made in Pak. 2. Does PAC have stress testing of all wings or even new wings - no. 3. Composite fabrication - no.

You will realise that none of this is inhouse just kits coming over from China. This is a seriously flawed vision.

Further down, are there wind tunnels in PAC for testing newer wing designs should they be deciding to get this.

All being set up as part of the in house design capability. They have composite fabrication capability including large ovens for carbon fiber. Stop being an idiot and do some research. Your lack of knowledge coupled with bias is obvious.

No, and the Chinese AWACS were not bought for the JF-17 but were a controversial decision which many in the PAF did not want and which is why NO MORE Chinese AWACS were bought and which is also why they developed their own datalink and focus on the Saab Awacs and not rely on the Chinese AWACS. The Chinese AWACS cannot talk to F-16s but the SAAB can talk to them
and JF-17s and AD systems too which is why the PAF recently increased the number of SAAB systems they have and NOT the ZDK-03.

Could you please expand on this.

Are the Chinese AWACS just not up to the mark as yet?
or, are the SAABs just so much better?
or, any other reason.

Could you please expand on this.

Are the Chinese AWACS just not up to the mark as yet?
or, are the SAABs just so much better?
or, any other reason.
The ZDK-03 is behind the Erieyes in detecting certain types of targets in certain scenarios. Where it does excel is in monitoring sea targets which is why it works closely with the PN.

The ZDK-03 is behind the Erieyes in detecting certain types of targets in certain scenarios. Where it does excel is in monitoring sea targets which is why it works closely with the PN.
For now. GaN-based radars offer much-improved efficiency. I'm confident the PAF will pursue another AEW&C in 7-10 years, but it'll be interesting to see how. I'm sure the ideal scenario is the Erieye ER, but India's watching... The alternative is finding a GaN TRM supplier and using COTS input to design and build our own AEW&C.

Something like the Embraer Lineage 1000E (or E190-E2) might be able carry a large array up top and possibly three smaller arrays (one on each side of the fuselage and maybe one ground-facing one underneath). Could make for a monstrously capable platform, especially once you leverage distributed ELINT/SIGINT nodes, UAV feeds, etc.

No they will tell you when they need to tell u.
You are not in the loop for the defence of the nation

Or 3 squarons of jf17 block 3 with asea each loaded with 4 pl15 and sd10s on dual racks and short range on tips
Not 3 squadrons but 150 more block III and beyond.
Sadly I think most people here want J-10 instead and I don't see the same psychological impact there on the Indian psyche
For now. GaN-based radars offer much-improved efficiency. I'm confident the PAF will pursue another AEW&C in 7-10 years, but it'll be interesting to see how. I'm sure the ideal scenario is the Erieye ER, but India's watching... The alternative is finding a GaN TRM supplier and using COTS input to design and build our own AEW&C.

Something like the Embraer Lineage 1000E (or E190-E2) might be able carry a large array up top and possibly three smaller arrays (one on each side of the fuselage and maybe one ground-facing one underneath). Could make for a monstrously capable platform, especially once you leverage distributed ELINT/SIGINT nodes, UAV feeds, etc.
7-10 years? Id say 17-20 at least, possibly longer. The existing birds will be upgraded at least once or twice before they are replaced. As long as their is airframe life in Saabs those birds will remain in service.

Not 3 squadrons but 150 more block III and beyond.
Sadly I think most people here want J-10 instead and I don't see the same psychological impact there on the Indian psyche

7-10 years? Id say 17-20 at least, possibly longer. The existing birds will be upgraded at least once or twice before they are replaced. As long as their is airframe life in Saabs those birds will remain in service.
Most people here want wives that look like super models but almost entirely they will marry their fat cousins. Loool.

Pakistan airforce has clearly stated j10 brings notjing to Pakistan airforce that jf17 doesn't. Paf have also stated the block 3 will be better than the f16 in their inventory. So the question my dear brother is ...
Do we listen to paf who put their lives on the line in these aircraft of internet hero's who don't know their face from their as5.

Back
Top Bottom