Different cooling solutions
BView attachment 776320
Blk 3 with liquid cooling arrangements

View attachment 776321

For any type of liquid cooling, you need the following:

1. Cooling system.
2. Pump
3. Piping to bring in cool liquid
4. Piping to bring out the warmed liquid.

We have seen just one single pipe here. Even the 3D model shows a single pipe going into the nose cone. Interestingly, that pipe which is supposed to be right below the frontal cockpit area isn't visible.

@The Eagle this is how hybrid solution would work. A SiC substrate layer would conduct heat away from the TRMs so there would ne no need for coolant to enter the nose cone. The back of the radar would be sticking behind the nose cone where the actual heat exchange would take place with the liquid. It is possible they found a way to do this with cooled air.

There is cooled air being provided to the cockpit for air conditioning. Did they diver some of that for cooling the radar? @messiach

You are trying too hard but that single pipe in 3d CAD is IFR outside the canopy not the cooling system pipe

For any type of liquid cooling, you need the following:

1. Cooling system.
2. Pump
3. Piping to bring in cool liquid
4. Piping to bring out the warmed liquid.

We have seen just one single pipe here. Even the 3D model shows a single pipe going into the nose cone. Interestingly, that pipe which is supposed to be right below the frontal cockpit area isn't visible.

@The Eagle this is how hybrid solution would work. A SiC substrate layer would conduct heat away from the TRMs so there would ne no need for coolant to enter the nose cone. The back of the radar would be sticking behind the nose cone where the actual heat exchange would take place with the liquid. It is possible they found a way to do this with cooled air.

There is cooled air being provided to the cockpit for air conditioning. Did they diver some of that for cooling the radar? @messiach

Last edited:
If my memory serves me right, there was a post in this very thread that detailed the new cooling arrangement for Block 3, specially for AESA module by using the aircraft air conditioning / climate control system and rerouting the air to the nose cone area too.

Somehow I vividly remember that Pakistanis had a role to play in developing this cooling mechanism for B3. I hope my memory isn’t failing me on this.

If my memory serves me right, there was a post in this very thread that detailed the new cooling arrangement for Block 3, specially for AESA module by using the aircraft air conditioning / climate control system and rerouting the air to the nose cone area too.

Somehow I vividly remember that Pakistanis had a role to play in developing this cooling mechanism for B3. I hope my memory isn’t failing me on this.

Hybrid Solution = Air Cooling the basic components with less heat generating by redirecting most liquid coolant for high heating components while heat seeking plate(s) being used further to minimize heat on overall structure giving the most output and maintaining the temperature. In my humble opinion, the study would have been done given the pros & cons during flight especially pulling Gs whereby Air Cooling (the relevant spray method) has its own disadvantages.

Pretty sure the F- 16 's SABR uses the same arrangement

Last edited:

It was the chief designer of JF-17 who said the nose had to be re-designed for Block 3 to accommodate AESA radar. Being lazy, so not googling for the relevant link.

Now, if we take a look at the recently released images, it is obvious that the re-design is in the arrangement of internal components, not the shape of the nose itself. This pic was initially posted by @Dazzler

1631118782031.png

It is possible that the metal pipe encloses twin tubes like this:

1631118840963.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom