What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Engine intake has not changed, since engine is the same. The bird should be officially unveiled in our colors in another couple of months or so.
True all preproduction prototypes were using the old engine so block 3 will use the same but hopefully they have made provisions in the airframe with a possible upgrade option in the future when MA becomes available.
the need for the gun is there... let us not start that discussion :). Let us focus on blk3 whole picture
I apologize didn't mean to steer off course i was just answering his question as to explain the reasoning paf doesn't want another chin hardpoint.

Last edited:
I do concur, Blk4 consideration must be every present. If they stop at Blk3, it goes back to your earlier points. A complete roadmap for further development needs to be had. It is also very possible earlier blocks I/2 can be sold off with Blk3 and 4 onwards being used only locally. Block 3 would be considered in my opinion as the steady state version.

Blk 4 - Engine and structural upgrades with new materials, Blk3 - lot of learnings to be had with triple axis fwb. Possible further weapons integration with non-chinese systems.

A block 4 is unlikely in my view as there's very little incremental benefit to be had from an already lightweight airframe and design, at least not without significant redesign, and therefore cost, effectively implying a completely new design. The Block I and II airframes are likely to undergo MLU rebuild to Block III standard to keep numbers up.

Means strengthen the wings in blk 3,
hope it can carry more then 2 PL 15 too

They do since block 1/2 radar has max two simultaneous engagement vs block 3 4 simultaneous engagement so dual launcher on block 3 plus nothing stopping block 1/2 from adopting it as well but cannot support more than 2 at a time

A block 4 is unlikely in my view as there's very little incremental benefit to be had from an already lightweight airframe and design, at least not without significant redesign, and therefore cost, effectively implying a completely new design. The Block I and II airframes are likely to undergo MLU rebuild to Block III standard to keep numbers up.
PAF has already stated they will replace all mirages and f-7s with jf-17s. The current order of 50 blk3s will only replace the remainig 3 sqds of pgs. So there will be a further order for replacing Mirages, what we dont know whether it will be the same blk3 or a new blk 4.

Further on how long do you think the MLUs will last 2030, 2035? UASF retired all their blk 15s by 2007 even after giving some a structural upgrade. Consider on top of that how multiple people have stated PAF is being too ambitious with Azm timelines, lets not expect anything from Azm before 2035 @Bilal Khan (Quwa)

Ppl stating mirages will serve beyond 2030 dont understand it will be fewer sqds than the current 6.

All the above points to further Jf-17 orders even if 2 or 3 j-10/f-16 sqds come.

Last edited:
Did anyone notice, the prototype spotted carrying the PL-10E AAM is not the first we've seen in December 2019?

So no. 3000 was the first prototype and this one no. 3001 is the second? [emoji848]

View attachment 737963

Good catch i noticed it but was looking for original pic

2 additional aircraft were also built at pac in 2020 so two pre pre production plus two from pac 2020 should exist, another 12 to be built in 2021 that end of 2021 or early 2022 the sqn of 16 would be handed over to paf

The difference Iis 3001 is carrying a radar [emoji6]

So block 2 mfd were joint pac ans Singapore technologies product designed now let’s see what the cockpit single touch screen display is from ?

PAF has already stated they will replace all mirages and f-7s with jf-17s. The current order of 50 blk3s will only replace the remainig 3 sqds of pgs. So there will be a further order for replacing Mirages, what we dont know whether it will be the same blk3 or a new blk 4.

Further on how long do you think the MLUs will last 2030, 2035? UASF retired all their blk 15s by 2007 even after giving some a structural upgrade. Consider on top of that how multiple people have stated PAF is being too ambitious with Azm timelines, lets not expect anything from Azm before 2035 @Bilal Khan (Quwa)

Ppl stating mirages will serve beyond 2030 dont understand it will be fewer sqds than the current 6.

All the above points to further Jf-17 orders even if 2 or 3 j-10/f-16 sqds come.

Yes that's very true, but even if there is a further 'block' from III, in terms of capability it will be very incremental changes, given the limitations of the airframe. Any intention to significantly enhance capability in terms of fuel fraction and payload would mean significant redesign of the airframe, and I don't think the PAF has the appetite for that.

Yes that's very true, but even if there is a further 'block' from III, in terms of capability it will be very incremental changes, given the limitations of the airframe. Any intention to significantly enhance capability in terms of fuel fraction and payload would mean significant redesign of the airframe, and I don't think the PAF has the appetite for that.
Yes completely agree with that, I dont think we will see another jump like the blk 3 one in the remaining program life, provided blk3 is what theyve said it to be.

If i remember right, PAF initially shared plan ro procure 250 + JFTs, they roadmap was each block will be of 50 jets,
This equation easy make 5 block = 50 × 5 = 250

If we count bravo and even 13 additional of block 2, then again block 4 is on cards .. having options of block 5 as well

If i remember right, PAF initially shared plan ro procure 250 + JFTs, they roadmap was each block will be of 50 jets,
This equation easy make 5 block = 50 × 5 = 250

If we count bravo and even 13 additional of block 2, then again block 4 is on cards .. having options of block 5 as well
They already renegaded from that rule by producing more then 50 Blk-IIs, they may just produce 250 Blk-IIIs and phase out the I/IIs as they exhaust there airframe life.

The incremental MLUs could bring about the enhancements periodically.

They already renegaded from that rule by producing more then 50 Blk-IIs, they may just produce 250 Blk-IIIs and phase out the I/IIs as they exhaust there airframe life.

The incremental MLUs could bring about the enhancements periodically.
Possible they stop as block 3, but we should consider this each block do not mean large scale enhancement, minor enhancement can lead to next block in future

If JF-17 BLK III does get RD-93MA, I think we should have got the information from Russia's media already.
In my opinion we should not cut RD-93MA from future prospect of JF-17 .... here one thing we must remember PAF has placed order only for 30 blk-III which mean this order will be completed till the end of 2022 this timeline coincide with the timeline of the availability of RD-93MA engine ....

So in this case RD-93MA could still be a possibility of rest of blk-III order and possibly for the future blocks of JF-17.

Back
Top Bottom