What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

btw any one know where is Sunny the owner of this youtube channel .... i have not seen him posting on the forum from number of days
He is regularly posting authentic info on his channel...may be concentrating on his channel only.

A block 4 is unlikely in my view as there's very little incremental benefit to be had from an already lightweight airframe and design, at least not without significant redesign, and therefore cost, effectively implying a completely new design. The Block I and II airframes are likely to undergo MLU rebuild to Block III standard to keep numbers up.
IMO fleet expansion is the way forward. We can still update and use the Block-I and Block-II for a variety of other roles -- e.g., CAS. For CAS, we can fit the JF-17s with YJ-9Es AGMs, LD-10 ARMs, and GB6 (a JSOW-type bomblet dispenser). It could be a major boost to joint-air-and-land warfare.

Yes that's very true, but even if there is a further 'block' from III, in terms of capability it will be very incremental changes, given the limitations of the airframe. Any intention to significantly enhance capability in terms of fuel fraction and payload would mean significant redesign of the airframe, and I don't think the PAF has the appetite for that.
Agreed. A Block-IV would be an iterative update of the Block-III, but the focus is having an affordable fighter to replace older aircraft and/or shore-up numbers. I'm not just thinking in terms of fleet-size on paper, but ensuring we have as many active planes as possible (given we'll have a % in a non-operable state due to maintenance).

Of course, in the long-run, we could think about developing an aircraft to replace the JF-17.

If we take the indigenous aspect of Project AZM seriously, then the PAF should set a roadmap for 2040. Like @JamD said; work with another country for the 2030-ish NGFA need, but in parallel, gradually build the indigenous side for another NGFA by 2040. That latter NGFA could be a new medium-weight fighter to replace the JF-17.

Last edited:
I have wondered, what about modifying the Fatah 1 MLRS rocket for air launch on JF-17s like the Israeli Rampage missile.

It would be relatively cheap, have a large warhead, and give a good standoff range of 160km factoring in the added effects of being air launched.

1619550455716.png

I have wondered, what about modifying the Fatah 1 MLRS rocket for air launch on JF-17s like the Israeli Rampage missile. It would be relatively cheap, and give a good standoff range of 140-160km.

View attachment 738012
The PAF already has a similar solution: CM-400AKG. It's basically a small ALBM.

I have wondered, what about modifying the Fatah 1 MLRS rocket for air launch on JF-17s like the Israeli Rampage missile.

It would be relatively cheap, have a large warhead, and give a good standoff range of 160km factoring in the added effects of being air launched.

View attachment 738012
CM-802AKG can also be used at these ranges, and is already integrated. RAAD is planned to be integrated as well.

The PAF already has a similar solution: CM-400AKG. It's basically a small ALBM.
Well this would be an indigenous system that would likely be cheaper, and serve a different purpose. I thought that was an Anti ship BM?

CM-400AKG seems much more complex especially using a seeker whereas the Fatah likely uses INS+GNSS. On a cost basis the Fatah would likely be a cheaper fire and forget weapon for general standoff duties for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
IMO fleet expansion is the way forward. We can still update and use the Block-I and Block-II for a variety of other roles -- e.g., CAS. For CAS, we can fit the JF-17s with YJ-9Es AGMs, LD-10 ARMs, and GB6 (a JSOW-type bomblet dispenser). It could be a major boost to joint-air-and-land warfare.

Agreed. A Block-IV would be an iterative update of the Block-III, but the focus is having an affordable fighter to replace older aircraft and/or shore-up numbers. I'm not just thinking in terms of fleet-size on paper, but ensuring we have as many active planes as possible (given we'll have a % in a non-operable state due to maintenance).

Of course, in the long-run, we could think about developing an aircraft to replace the JF-17.

If we take the indigenous aspect of Project AZM seriously, then the PAF should set a roadmap for 2040. Like @JamD said; work with another country for the 2030-ish NGFA need, but in parallel, gradually build the indigenous side for another NGFA by 2040. That latter NGFA could be a new medium-weight fighter to replace the JF-17.
070C0E2F-1FE5-450F-8D6E-6CFA2F8DF206.jpeg
2E942B59-3030-4915-B01F-7B5673BEC7C1.jpeg
Jf17 block 4

IMHO the JF-17 won't get RD-93MA unless the PAF is actually planning on a Block-IV, V, etc. Personally, I like that idea more than another off-the-shelf fighter.
But haven't the Chinese already placed an order of 100rd93MA? I doubt they'd be using them in any of their aircrafts and 100 is a big number. Who are they gonna supply it if not Pakistan?

But haven't the Chinese already placed an order of 100rd93MA? I doubt they'd be using them in any of their aircrafts and 100 is a big number. Who are they gonna supply it if not Pakistan?
where did you hear that? source?

Why the New PL-10 Missile on Pakistan’s JF-17 Fighters Will Be a Nightmare For India in Short Range Combat

It looks very similar to a-darter as well. There are several differences between the two internally.

Back
Top Bottom