What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Fuel fraction is a measure of how much fuel is carried % of weight of aircraft

Full load internal external

10k/30k it’s 33% which is impressive for small fighter

Internal only with normal take gross load 5k/20k it’s 25% which is not ideal so you need external tanks

The U.S. F-22 Raptor’s fuel fraction is 29 percent and euro fighter 31 % I think at Normal loads

Difference between mirage 3 fighter vs mirage 5 fighter bomber is fuel fractions which went from ~2300 kg to 2700 kg internal fuel jf block 3 assuming will also be targeting 2700 kg as max limit is ~30k pounds

So, how many of members think, it would be 'stealthy'! how many of you think inlet, LERX, slats will have noticable changes! @All who wants to take a shot.

Hi,

The shape (side intakes DSI ) & size of the JF17 from day one---was based towards a stealthier aircraft---. Paf had known what the Gnat was capable of against sabre F86 and they had not forgotten about it---.

The grippen gave them a great start towards their goal---Paf took it and ran with it---. If Messiach wants to share others aspect of a stealthier JF17---it is upto her---. I would not indulge anymore than this---.

Last edited:
I expect significant changes - ie I am going all in. Reason is the threat perception for PAF in next 10 years till project Azm matures. Despite Rafale and S400 purchases and other upgrades taking place in India, I don't see PAF panicked or at least visibly bothered. This shows B3 must truly be a game changer in most aspects. It may not be in a complete stealthy shape though but decent improvements in RCS reduction - but I am still hopeful for a surprise as well. My 2 cents.
We are not in panic not because of BLOCK 3 but other options are in consideration. Yes BLOCK III will be great but still not a answer to Rafael.

I expect significant changes - ie I am going all in. Reason is the threat perception for PAF in next 10 years till project Azm matures. Despite Rafale and S400 purchases and other upgrades taking place in India, I don't see PAF panicked or at least visibly bothered. This shows B3 must truly be a game changer in most aspects. It may not be in a complete stealthy shape though but decent improvements in RCS reduction - but I am still hopeful for a surprise as well. My 2 cents.
PAF will procure another platform other than blk 3 it will be western or Russian let's see.

All points considered, I doubt PAF has much to fear from S-400 we’ve seen in Syria it hasn’t preformed, and I’m sure knowing Russian weaponry Chinese most likely developed counter measures EW wise.

So, how many of members think, it would be 'stealthy'! how many of you think inlet, LERX, slats will have noticable changes! @All who wants to take a shot.
AOA
Mam it looks more like a litte tid bits before a grand show appearence , rather then a question to me ..some hunch feeling bcz .... my apology earlier for my comment

On guess about jf 17B3 ,, incorporate some stealth feature , real goodies are under the skin ... Better Avionics and sensorfusion , .... .. bcz its seems more " Grippen NG" route .for PAF..
But who knows as PN give us some surprises, now its PAF turns .. my 2 cents ..

I am enjoying these comments. Block evolution is in keeping with the threat perception.

I thank you for the igniting the topic. While you put it simply by saying that "Block Evolution with the Threat perception".

AoA. Military don't induct hardware on only Jet vs Jet and Tank vs Tank approach. Pakistan when countering Rafale will not solely or even mostly, depend on Block 3. We can Induct/Upgrade HQ-9/16/Ft2000 etc, blk2, JY-27A, F-16, PL-15. These are a few available options I can think of on top of my head that PA can pursue. I am sure others, if they want, can expand on this list. The point is PA will be looking into minimizing Rafale's footprint in a conflict, but it won't be betting everything on one type of hardware. 'Game changer' is too big an adjective to be used for Block 3, of which we dont even know the basic specifications, let alone its capabilities. I hope it will be a Game changer (inshallah), but lets not jump the gun just yet.

AoA. Military don't induct hardware on only Jet vs Jet and Tank vs Tank approach. Pakistan when countering Rafale will not solely or even mostly, depend on Block 3. We can Induct/Upgrade HQ-9/16/Ft2000 etc, blk2, JY-27A, F-16, PL-15. These are a few available options I can think of on top of my head that PA can pursue. I am sure others, if they want, can expand on this list. The point is PA will be looking into minimizing Rafale's footprint in a conflict, but it won't be betting everything on one type of hardware. 'Game changer' is too big an adjective to be used for Block 3, of which we dont even know the basic specifications, let alone its capabilities. I hope it will be a Game changer (inshallah), but lets not jump the gun just yet.
First off, amazed to see you here as a “thinktank” , you are doing a good work on twitter, Thank you very much for that and appreciated.

Secondly, Block 3 definitely is if not a “game changer” but quite a game changer thanks to an AESA. AESA radars are just in their own league as compared to usual passive/doppler radars. Their EW capabilities as well as assistance during SEAD missions is the point that makes them a game changing hardware or in easy words, “FORCE MULTIPLIER”.

Secondly, The fact that AESA Block 3 will be paired up with PL-15 alone makes Block 3 the best and most updated/effective fighter in the region until rafale shows up, then the crown will be in long dispute.

PAF doesn’t focus on jets alone as compared to IAF. PAF has better focus on an “ENVIRONMENT AS A WHOLE”, introduce complexity in mission crafts, use of AWACS platforms along with EW pods on Jets, all these make PAF an overall a better and a Professional Modern Air Force. IAF looks like a dry desert in front of PAF.

All points considered, I doubt PAF has much to fear from S-400 we’ve seen in Syria it hasn’t preformed, and I’m sure knowing Russian weaponry Chinese most likely developed counter measures EW wise.
This would be a very serious mistake on the part of PAF and one which I hope they will not make. The missile system is very effective and one needs to prepare for it and take all possible precautions.
A

Phonetic alphabets. Its not a "coolness" thing. All areas of military, aviation, nuclear uses it for clear communication. Nobody says "B" in the these places, they say Bravo
No, i mean is it officially named bravo or just you guys are using that out of coolness ?

Phonetic alphabets. Its not a "coolness" thing. All areas of military, aviation, nuclear uses it for clear communication. Nobody says "B" in the these places, they say Bravo
*facepalm*
My sole intention was, i at first thought got the feeling that the B variant has been named bravo on papers. Was clearing doubt. Secondly, Bravo is cool as well even tho it’s a terminology

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom