What's new

Japan PM says will take time to provide patrol ships to Vietnam

@Nihonjin1051

as we've very few Japansese members,I ask you,rather than Hida or Sikishima,which are large patrol vessel with Helo carrying capability,isn't it better to have Aso class,which was made to counter heavily armed North Korean Ships??just the similar kind of threats Vietnam faced.

Vietnam Coast Guard now has total 60 ships.

toan-canh-doi-tau-tuan-tra-cua-canh-sat-bien-viet-nam.jpg

CSB-8001, built by Vietnam under license of Damen, Holland.
It has full load 2.561 tons.
A similar one is being built.

CSB-8003
Full load 1.400 tons.

CV-3500
Load 1.400 tons

The remaining ships have load of 180-400 tons:

With the recent incident in the East Vietnam Sea, Vietnam certainly targets building more coast guard ships with load of 2.000 tons or more.

@Oldman1 ,

This is great, but i think $700 million is a bit too much for their budget. The United States CG recently turned over 2 of their Hamilton Class Cutters to the Philippines, and i believe 1 to Nigeria and 1 to Bangladesh. Perhaps the USCG can turn over some to Vietnam. This would be perfect to build a more strategic relationship between The United States and Vietnam.

One possible option is the Shikishima Class of the Japanese Coast Guard:

f64.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Another option also could be the Hida Class:

Japan_Coast_Guard_PL51_Hida.JPG

It is reported that authorities Vietnam began discussed with JICA in Hanoi for new fund for surveillance ships.

Mr. Abe is right when he change the passive policy to active policy to protect peace in region.

@Nihonjin1051

as we've very few Japansese members,I ask you,rather than Hida or Sikishima,which are large patrol vessel with Helo carrying capability,isn't it better to have Aso class,which was made to counter heavily armed North Korean Ships??just the similar kind of threats Vietnam faced.

Hi @GR!FF!N , there are quite a few classes that are categorized as heavy, medium or small criteria. The Aso class is smaller as it is 1000t. The Izu Class is the largest and it has helo carrying capability as well. The Vietnamese have expressed interest in the Hateruma class, Kunigami class, Shikishima class and Hida Class.

It is reported that authorities Vietnam began discussed with JICA in Hanoi for new fund for surveillance ships.

Mr. Abe is right when he change the passive policy to active policy to protect peace in region.

Yes, we are following through with our promise to Vietnam. We will offer crucial coast guard ships and 96 Billion yen in loans ($944 million).

Hi @GR!FF!N , there are quite a few classes that are categorized as heavy, medium or small criteria. The Aso class is smaller as it is 1000t. The Izu Class is the largest and it has helo carrying capability as well. The Vietnamese have expressed interest in the Hateruma class, Kunigami class, Shikishima class and Hida Class.

Yes, we are following through with our promise to Vietnam. We will offer crucial coast guard ships and 96 Billion yen in loans ($944 million).
Hey my friend. Now we get an official confirmation: Japan will deliver the boats early next year. Though the number and type of vessels are not disclosed, I guess some 10 bulk vessels will be. Plus Japan will provide training for Vietnamese crews and share information (about China?). Japan and Vietnam coast guards will cooperate closely.

that is faster than many had expected.

last but not least, Shinzo Abe told he will provide Vietnam and Philippines utmost supports. I hope he means of providing warships in near future.

r

Vietnam expects Japan coastguard ships next year: vice defense minister| Reuters

Last edited:
I am wondering if the Vietnamese know this is part of Chinese strategy to keep the Viets weak. Keep buying the hardwares and see what happens to the Viet's economy.

Hey my friend. Now we get an official confirmation: Japan will deliver the boats early next year. Though the number and type of vessels are not disclosed, I guess some 10 bulk vessels will be. Plus Japan will provide training for Vietnamese crews and share information (about China?). Japan and Vietnam coast guards will cooperate closely.

that is faster than many had expected.

last but not least, Shinzo Abe told he will provide Vietnam and Philippines utmost supports. I hope he means of providing warships in near future.

r

Vietnam expects Japan coastguard ships next year: vice defense minister| Reuters

Good news for our Vietnamese and Filipino partners.

If Vietnam was smart they would look at India and take a different path than exclusively relying on foreign arms and technology imports.

If you spend most of your budgets on arms import all you will gain is a short ego boost with overprized hardware.
Its a loss for Vietnam on the long run. Japan and U.S. only provide the lipservice of friendship to milk Vietnamese economy with their outdated hardware.

But then again if they where smart they wouldn't provoke and attack China to begin with.

I am wondering if the Vietnamese know this is part of Chinese strategy to keep the Viets weak. Keep buying the hardwares and see what happens to the Viet's economy.

We know your true mentality from long time, kid.

If Vietnam was smart they would look at India and take a different path than exclusively relying on foreign arms and technology imports.

If you spend most of your budgets on arms import all you will gain is a short ego boost with overprized hardware.
Its a loss for Vietnam on the long run. Japan and U.S. only provide the lipservice of friendship to milk Vietnamese economy with their outdated hardware.

But then again if they where smart they wouldn't provoke and attack China to begin with.

some ships are better than nothings. Most important is that people in the world is by our side to counter Chinese aggressor . :sniper::china:

Japanese always keep their words. not like recent agreements with China, Chinese just did what they want without care about what they promised.

Modi is begging for China's investment, what do you expect him? even he want to do something, look at the lousy records of imcompetent indians, except big mouth.
China should not accept imo.

Back
Top Bottom