What's new

Japan PM says will take time to provide patrol ships to Vietnam

I haven´t heard anything new since that deal was announced, of 4 Indian patrol boats for $100m.
But I am afraid this deal will never come into reality like the other VN interest for Brahmos cruise missiles. Your government is too afraid of China. Perhaps Modi can do better.
India offers Vietnam credit for military ware - The Hindu

sorry for late reply bro.I've to say,your perception is wrong.on Brahmos,as it is a joint production between Indo-Russia,both party have to agree on sale.plus,until India gets all ordered missiles,India is not going to "Officially" sale the missiles.your perception about "India is afraid of China" is wrong.if we are,then we'd not be participating in the contest of making "Multipurpose Frigate" for Philippines.nor we'd display "Pragati Missile" which Vietnam is so keen to buy.

I think too much is happening at back of the stage.India has habit of providing weapons without making proper announcement.we came to know about Indian weapons to Myanmar only after some foreign NGO released their snoop reports.same goes for Afghan affairs.if we'd be so scared of China,we'd not announce the $100 mil for credit line for 4 ships in the first place.

also,read this..........

How India-Vietnam Strategic Ties Are Mutually Beneficial | The Diplomat

you'd never know if those assistance would come from Russia which we'll finance,just like we did with Afghanistan.

P.S--- ignore trolls and their naive comments,if you know to whom I pointed the finger. :azn:

I think the decision over the type of vessels and number will be made when Japan foreign minister visits Hanoi in June. Shinzo Abe promises Japan will provide Vietnam the capacity it needs to restore the status quo in the SC Sea :azn:

We need at least 10 ships, with capacity on par with the Chinese.

Japan’s foreign minister to visit Vietnam on maritime security | Politics | Thanh Nien Daily

any idea about US deal??what kind of boats you guys are expecting??

any idea about US deal??what kind of boats you guys are expecting??
America will provide 5 fast patrol boats, worth $18m. Plus a part of the $156m assistance packet for the region. No info, when we receive and what vessel. I guess some sort of this high-speed boat:
3-fast-patrol-craft.jpg

Kerry announces new US maritime security aid to Vietnam amid China tensions, pushes reforms | Fox News

Could always look to the U.S. to provide the ships they need.
national_security_cutter.jpg
shipcgcnscbertholfmachisr1.jpg
First_2_National_Security_cutters,_the_Bertholf_and_Waesche,_cruise_together.jpg
uscgc_bertholf_showing_its_2_heli_2.jpg

And remember there other sources that can provide the ships like European as well besides Japan.

First_2_National_Security_cutters,_the_Bertholf_and_Waesche,_cruise_together.jpg

And remember there other sources that can provide the ships like European as well besides Japan.
Wow...that is nice. any info how much the vessels cost?

I wonder If Shinzo Abe will ask you for providing the promised patrol vessels to Vietnam instead?
Japan needs time to produce the boats, but we need them urgently. Many of our patrol boats are damaged by Chinese aggressive actions around the oil rig.

@Oldman1

is USA retiring any Coast Guard Cutters??those Medium Endurance Cutters are very handy to make long range patrols and can be converted to heavily armed if needed.but I think they want Coastal Patrol Boats like Marine Protector Class and Island Class as Long Range Patrol probably is not their priority.

Wow...that is nice. any info how much the vessels cost?

I wonder If Shinzo Abe will ask you for providing the promised patrol vessels to Vietnam instead?
Japan needs time to produce the boats, but we need them urgently. Many of our patrol boats are damaged by Chinese aggressive actions around the oil rig.

They cost around $700 million per boat if you have the money. These are top of the line cutters. But as I've said previously you can go to other sources for something cheaper. And you don't even have to buy these ships.

@Oldman1

is USA retiring any Coast Guard Cutters??those Medium Endurance Cutters are very handy to make long range patrols and can be converted to heavily armed if needed.but I think they want Coastal Patrol Boats like Marine Protector Class and Island Class as Long Range Patrol probably is not their priority.

Don't know if they have any that they can give. Either they already scrapped them or are still using them.

@Oldman1

Don't the Indians have something they can make to sell to Vietnam? Cheap but capable?

Last edited:
are those Legend Class Cutter??Bloody Hell dude..they're bigger than many of Vietnam's Frigates..but true beauty.. :cheesy::cheesy:

@Viet

look at the spec dude.. :D

National Security Cutter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
typical America. Everything is BIG.

that US patrol vessel is indeed bigger than our biggest Frigate, the Gepard.
$700m a vessel is too much for our budget.

Holland-class offshore patrol vessels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These cost around $150 million. And are well armed for their size.
too much, unless we get military aid from America :partay:

Last edited:
Don't the Indians have something they can make to sell to Vietnam? Cheap but capable?

We've Saryu to boast.. :partay:

url

url

url

Saryu-class patrol vessel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

we've whole lot of different types of patrol vessels as we've a massive marine zone to protect.

as India offered $100 mil for 4 ships,couldn't be sure what they wanted.but IMO,its Vishwast Class or Samar Class...nothing fancy,but highly capable.we've GSL class under construction,which also has thechance,due to reports indicated that if ordered,those ships will be built in GSL.

Vishwast Class.........

url

Samar Class....

url

too much, unless we get military aid from America :partay:

How much you pay for the Gepard?

We've Saryu to boast.. :partay:

url

url

url

Saryu-class patrol vessel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

we've whole lot of different types of patrol vessels as we've a massive marine zone to protect.

as India offered $100 mil for 4 ships,couldn't be sure what they wanted.but IMO,its Vishwast Class or Samar Class...nothing fancy,but highly capable.we've GSL class under construction,which also has thechance,due to reports indicated that if ordered,those ships will be built in GSL.

Vishwast Class.........

url

Samar Class....

url

$100 million for 4 of those sounds like a good deal. It may not be as heavily armed as the Gepard Vietnam bought, but still capable to handle whats happening now. Its not like China sent their warships to fight against them. Just coast guard and civilian ships that are hardly armed.

or you may say,Typical Kick @$$.. :D

but then,its all about criteria.India is making larger Offshore vessels now as it is cheap and can be used to guard our sea lanes and can be operated to fight Piracy with long endurance.in fact,our OPVs are serving as "Flag Vessel" in some navies.:D

Saryu is 1/5 th of the cost of those US giants.but our GSL class will be more charming one.:partay:

105 M Offshore Patrol Vessel, Advanced Patrol Vessel, Manufacturer, Goa, India

$100 million for 4 of those sounds like a good deal. It may not be as heavily armed as the Gepard Vietnam bought, but still capable to handle whats happening now. Its not like China sent their warships to fight against them. Just coast guard and civilian ships that are hardly armed.

yup...its good for sparring.but Vietnam has to get these fast.they don't need top of the line product.they need which could serve their priority well.but those pics I've posted costs $105 mil a piece. :D probably old Samar Class can be reasoned with at that cost,if we give them a good amount of discount.

How much you pay for the Gepard?

a Gepard costs about $350m with weapons (wiki). we have 2 right now. 4 more coming.

The frigate is armed with 8 Uran-E anti-ship missiles, a 76.2-mm gun mount AK-176M, a Palma air defense artillery system, two 30-mm gun mounts AK-630M and 533-mm torpedo tubes. It can carry a Ka-28 or a Ka-31 Helix naval helicopter.

640px-HQ-011_frigate_Da_Nang%2C_CC.jpg

9_tau_chien_Gepard_PS-500_viet_nam_giaoduc.net.vn.JPG

@Oldman1 ,

This is great, but i think $700 million is a bit too much for their budget. The United States CG recently turned over 2 of their Hamilton Class Cutters to the Philippines, and i believe 1 to Nigeria and 1 to Bangladesh. Perhaps the USCG can turn over some to Vietnam. This would be perfect to build a more strategic relationship between The United States and Vietnam.

One possible option is the Shikishima Class of the Japanese Coast Guard:

f64.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Another option also could be the Hida Class:

Japan_Coast_Guard_PL51_Hida.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom