What's new

Iraq to buy 12 JF-17 Thunder jets from Pakistan

September 25, 2021

jf-696x464.jpg

ISLAMABAD – Pakistan has received an international order for the supply of 12 fighter jets JF-17 Thunder Block III to Iraq, local media reported on Saturday.

The advanced-level jets are manufactured at the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) Kamra n with the cooperation of China.

Reports cited sources as saying that officials from Pakistan and Iraq held various rounds of talks to finalize the defence deal.

The negotiations finally concluded with the recent visit of Iraqi defence delegation led by Deputy Commander Iraqi Air Force Major General (Pilot) Muhammad Majeed Mahdi Mahmood.

In April this year, Pakistan exhibited models of its JF-17 fighter jet, Al-Khalid battle tank, Takbir precision munition and Azmat-class missile boat among other defense hardware in the Iraqi capital Baghdad.

This was the first ever exhibition of Pakistani defense goods in Iraq which is one of the main buyers of military hardware after the Gulf nations and Egypt.

Nigeria and Myanmar have already inducted these jets in their fleet.

In May this year, Pakistan had formally handed over to Nigerian Air Force in an official ceremony at Makurdi, Nigeria.

https://pakobserver.net/iraq-to-purchase-12-pakistan-made-jf-17-thunder-fighter-jets/

I wonder which Block they are going to go for... Nigeria and Myanmar got Block-2.

If I were the Iraqi I would go for Block-3 giving them a significant leap in technology wrt to great BVR and AESA Radar. This will put them ahead of many in the region and at par with the Saudis (as far as tech availability is concerned.... Not comparing platforms).

Pak, Iran, SA and China must seek contract to build Iraq. It may Include roads, hospital, schools and homes. It will also increase regional connectivity.

According to the sources, the defense agreement has been approved by the Iraqi and Pakistani governments and a formal agreement is expected to be signed in Islamabad next month. The Iraqi government has approved $664 million for the purchase of 12 combat aircraft from Pakistan.

The Iraqi Minister of Defense, Lieutenant-General Juma Inad Saadoun, visited Pakistan earlier in May, during which he held meetings with Pakistani leaders and officials and discussed Iraq's interest in purchasing JF-17 Thunder fighters from Pakistan.

First-Picture-Of-JF-17-Thunder-Block-III.jpg

Hi,

My unit sales number for the JF17 given a decade ago was a 1000 units.

If we had developed the first aircraft as the two seater, we would surpass that number.

Right now, it may get around 650 units sold. Covid put a big hurdle in the sales process.

Hi,

My unit sales number for the JF17 given a decade ago was a 1000 units.

If we had developed the first aircraft as the two seater, we would surpass that number.

Right now, it may get around 650 units sold. Covid put a big hurdle in the sales process.
I still think PAC needs to let the private sector join in on this. There is a limit to what a military brain can achieve or even imagine. What one cant imagine, one cant achieve. Globally, defence industry flourishes when the private/public sectors come together to innovate. If we continue to carry out development behind closed doors, there is very limited room to upskill. Also, there seems no plan to increase production capacity. At 12 planes a year, export orders will see lengthy timelines.

Back
Top Bottom