What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

new destroyer ?
Schermata-20.png

Schermata-21.png

Last edited:
Can't wait to see those new Catamarans be fully-unveiled.

Would also be nice to see some updates on the VLS technology if Iran can get some onto its ships.

Iran's Navy takes delivery of optimally overhauled destroyer, military aircraft
https://en.mehrnews.com/photo/18196...rhauled-destroyer-military-aircraft#gallery-9
Screenshot-2021-12-20-10-57-16-107-01.jpg
It sounds like they`ve upgraded the propulsion system with new engines and generators,plus new steering gear.Its possible that they may have also ditched the old gas turbines in favor of duplicating the standard diesel 4 engine configuration that we see on the later moudge class boats
https://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2021/...mally-overhauled-destroyer,-military-aircraft
I think its unfortunate that they didnt take the opportunity to go further with improving the layout of the boat,such as relocating the radar to the mast and ditching the bulky old stack in favor of either the low observable single stack or the new smaller twin stack arrangement that we see on the unfinished shiraz.This would`ve freed up a lot of extra space for the mounting of either qader or the new extended range naseer lightweight ashcm

It sounds like they`ve upgraded the propulsion system with new engines and generators,plus new steering gear.Its possible that they may have also ditched the old gas turbines in favor of duplicating the standard diesel 4 engine configuration that we see on the later moudge class boats
https://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2021/...mally-overhauled-destroyer,-military-aircraft
I think its unfortunate that they didnt take the opportunity to go further with improving the layout of the boat,such as relocating the radar to the mast and ditching the bulky old stack in favor of either the low observable single stack or the new smaller twin stack arrangement that we see on the unfinished shiraz.This would`ve freed up a lot of extra space for the mounting of either qader or the new extended range naseer lightweight ashcm

I am more inclined that they replaced the 2 diesel engines used for cruising speed, also because it would not be easy to replace the 2 gas turbines with 2 other diesel engines.
If I'm not mistaken, it is a CODOG system and the two gas turbines are for maximum speed and the gearboxes should be calibrated to use one type of engine at a time Diesel or Gas Turbine but not the two types together.
Therefore, even if the gas turbines could be replaced with a diesel one, the gearboxes would also need to be modified or replaced.
In any case with the experience of Iran in the repair of gas turbines, it is logical for me to think that they will overhaul and not replace them.
Indeed, those naval gas turbines could be taken as a starting point to build gas turbines for future heavy destroyers

Hasn't really grown alot since. Sophisticated naval industry needs money which is lacking economically speaking. I mean, how much can you really do with 100+ million USD.

Hasn't really grown alot since. Sophisticated naval industry needs money which is lacking economically speaking. I mean, how much can you really do with 100+ million USD.

Depends what your doctrine is. If your doctrine is defense and projecting power in your surroundings, you can do quite a bit. If your doctrine is to sail the world and wage war thousand of KMs away.... then not much.

You can expect Iran to field the armadas of China or US. They have completely different doctrines.

Iran would like to be a blue water Navy, but realistically it needs to secure its surroundings first before expanding to project power 3000+KM away

They have come a long way....remember at the start of the war no Iranian navy man had ever been in a submarine....42 years later Iran built and successfully fielded a 100% indigenous submarine named Fateh....that is impressive with no help and under full military tech sanctions.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom