What's new

Iranian Missiles | News and Discussions

Key problem would be guidance electronics/systems that survive the ~350g acceleration loads.
Unguided and it may be of no useful tactical value.

It clearly show that the U.S is aware that "enemy A2/AD" menace cant be well handled by its conventional airpower concept.
The plan would be to use a battery of these and send a unguided barrage, once satellite early warning detects a missile launch, hoping to kill the TEL in time.

Once you have built the cannons, then you are comparing costs of the shells vs cost of missiles. Not only that, Iran will be able to mass produce the shells much faster and cheaper than missiles. Within the 1000 miles or so radius, these systems will be very complementary to Iran's missile. One could even see these systems become the initial go to weapons to attack targets (air defence, light assets etc) followed by a barrage of missiles.
I think you can't consider only the cost of shells. Loading the canon itself for a new launch will be expensive too. After all, an explosion that fires the projectile must have its energy come from something. No?

Moreover, why would anyone scrap guided missiles for unguided ballistic projectiles?

I think you can't consider only the cost of shells. Loading the canon itself for a new launch will be expensive too. After all, an explosion that fires the projectile must have its energy come from something. No?

Moreover, why would anyone scrap guided missiles for unguided ballistic projectiles?

We have already the tech to guide the cannon projectile by laser, if the rest is functional.

Key problem would be guidance electronics/systems that survive the ~350g acceleration loads.
Unguided and it may be of no useful tactical value.

It clearly show that the U.S is aware that "enemy A2/AD" menace cant be well handled by its conventional airpower concept.
The plan would be to use a battery of these and send a unguided barrage, once satellite early warning detects a missile launch, hoping to kill the TEL in time.

How would the prices for such long-ranged shells compare against traditional Iranian precision guided ballistic-missiles?

So would these be used to help identify TEL launch locations by firing a volley, then satellites pick up on the TELs heat-signature respectively leading to the shells (which are still in flight) being up-dated with information on the TELs current position then just heading there?

Last edited:

In the long term, all of those costs overall would be less than actual missiles. The major ongoing cost will be the shells themselves plus their propellant. I don't see a real comparison here compared to cost of missiles. Not to say they will replace missiles, but may reduce the need for certain lower tear systems or reduce their quantitative needs.

These technologies will continue to mature. I have not been able to find much with regards to the accuracy of the US system, but its safe to say, going forward they will become more accurate. Furthermore, don't focus on this specific US example but the concept of long rang cannons as a whole. The Iraqis tried and failed with that Babylon project. If the issue of accuracy can be solved, then I see this as a highly instrumental addition to Iran.

And how do you want to illuminate the target by laser? You'll have to have ground forces or your air force near the target. What about poor weather conditions?

And there's still the cost issue.

Small cheap radar evading drones. Iran has Been doing it in Syria since 2014.

And how do you want to illuminate the target by laser? You'll have to have ground forces or your air force near the target. What about poor weather conditions?

And there's still the cost issue.

Such a weapons platform would be quite expensive considering Iran would essentially need to create equipment that is proprietary to the system as a whole. I can't imagine precision guided 1,000 mile ranged shells would be cheap.

In the long term, all of those costs overall would be less than actual missiles. The major ongoing cost will be the shells themselves plus their propellant. I don't see a real comparison here compared to cost of missiles. Not to say they will replace missiles, but may reduce the need for certain lower tear systems or reduce their quantitative needs.
Why do you think so? I think the explosive that is needed for shooting the projectile far must have a lot of energy in it and energy is always expensive. Then there's the issue of its physical characteristics versus a missile. I mean things like speed, impact on the target, etc.

These technologies will continue to mature. I have not been able to find much with regards to the accuracy of the US system, but its safe to say, going forward they will become more accurate. Furthermore, don't focus on this specific US example but the concept of long rang cannons as a whole. The Iraqis tried and failed with that Babylon project. If the issue of accuracy can be solved, then I see this as a highly instrumental addition to Iran.
I think the main issue here is to study the feasibility of this economic wise.

Small cheap radar evading drones
There is no such thing as "radar evading". But even so, why wouldn't we equip those drones with small rockets instead? That sounds less expensive to me. I'm not sure though.

Small cheap radar evading drones. Iran has Been doing it in Syria since 2014.

That would complicate things and open the door for outside inferences with the functionality of system. The truly valuable guidance will come into the terms of internal guidance systems. I don't include GPS as much because as far as I am Concerned, during a major conflict, relying on GPS is not wise.

I'm down for Iran building super-long range cannons if they could do it cost effectively.

But is such a weapons platform a must, given all the advancements Iran has made with missile-tech?
it's cost effective indeed.

saudi-strike-5-ap_19258693029447-978344464eb4d3b41a44f877e160ca887a4fb8fb-s700-c85.jpg

If you believe this attack in Abqaiq was done from Yemen, it will be 1000 miles away and this level of accuracy is likely Laser guided, maybe Laser guidance from a drone.

That would complicate things and open the door for outside inferences with the functionality of system. The truly valuable guidance will come into the terms of internal guidance systems. I don't include GPS as much because as far as I am Concerned, during a major conflict, relying on GPS is not wise.
Well, there are other options like GLONASS and BeiDou.
If we can build a canon like this in a cost effective way, we might even be able to launch satellites into the LEO more often. If we launch like 20 satellites into the LEO orbit, soon we will have a satellite positioning system of our own.

You think this is a case where the initial buy in cost is somewhat high and any other costs after are retrospectively cheaper?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom