What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

@PeeD you have any idea what the purpose of these "handles" are on the sub-arrays?

upload_2019-8-23_22-31-47.png

They are literally handles haha
I know :lol: just thought it's weird to put them slap bang in the middle of a radar array. PeeD did say one possibility was that these 'sub-arrays' are just maintenance hatches... looks unlikely to me, but it's a possibility.

I know :lol: just thought it's weird to put them slap bang in the middle of a radar array. PeeD did say one possibility was that these 'sub-arrays' are just maintenance hatches... looks unlikely to me, but it's a possibility.

actually, is it possible to load panels from the rear? I wonder how heavy are those panels :D

I must say, that does sound quite optimistic...

View attachment 575669

@AmirPatriot, the F-22 achieves a 0.0001M^2 RCS at only certain angles, most likely at the front. I don't think it can achieve that level of RCS against SAMs. @PeeD's calculations were likely base on different RCS values.

Also please beware that once you have AESA, you can do some signal processing and filtering to identify signal anomalies for each TRM. Remember, you have so much control over each TRM, that you you will know the time of flight for each signal initiation as well as the wave form.

Combining this with Bistatic nature of this system as well as presence of powerful OTH and VHF radars as part of an integrated air defence, we have a robust anti stealth system.

Last edited:
@AmirPatriot, the F-22 achieves a 0.0001M^2 RCS at only certain angles, most likely at the front. I don't think it can achieve that level of RCS against SAMs. @PeeD's calculations were likely base on different RCS values.

Also please beware that once you have AESA, you can do some signal processing and filtering to identify signal anomalies for each TRM. Remember, you have so much control over each TRM, that you you will know the time of flight for each signal initiation as well as the wave form.

Combining this with Bistatic nature of this system as well as presence of powerful OTH and VHF radars as part of an integrated air defence, we have a robust anti stealth system.

Even with optimistic guidance capability, Iran likely won’t be able to engage an F-22 until 45KM away from AD system.

So it is to iran’s benefit to have systems deployed along border region to be able to detect and engage F-22’s within a 50-100KM intrusion into its airspace.

@skyshadow
I mean this
b6ecb6-1.jpg

Also @skyshadow some sources say that B-373 can track 100 targets while other sources say 300 so which one is true?

Name: Bavar-373

784411_790.jpg

Title: Long Range Air Defense System

c4352def9b2843c0aaf05a20b5c9096f01024381.jpg

Mission

Detect And Track And Engage Stealth Fighter jets And Stealth Bombers And Stealth Drones And Cruise Missiles, Anti-Radiation Missiles And Ballistic Missiles And AWACS Planes And Reconnaissance Aircraft And Jets And All Type Of Helicopters And.....

untitledn-jpg.575324

Capabilities

Minimum Detection Range: 450 KM.

tracking Range: 260 KM.

Missile Range: +200 KM.

Missile Altitude: 27-30 KM.

Detection: Up To 300 targets.

Engaging Targets With Minimum radar cross-section Of: 0.0001m2

Simultaneous Tracking: Up To 60 targets Simultaneously.

Simultaneous Engagement: Up To 6 targets Simultaneously.

Number Of Guided Missiles Simultaneously : 12 Missiles Simultaneously

Launch System: Hot Launch
Still lose to S-300PMU-2 radar which can engage 36 targets and guide 72 missiles

I was inspired by Russian claims on RCS. It's actually fairly simple and I will explain how I figured it out:

- The F-35 without shaping techniques should be at 5dB
- With shaping techniques anything between -20-30dB reduction is physically possible imo. Resulting in -25dB overall performance
-RAS and RAM allow for another -25dB reduction, resulting in a total of -50dB which is very conservative my any merits.

Ok now here it what happens when operating against the Bavar-373:
- S-band to X-band reduces shaping performance by at least 5dB. Resulting in -45dB overall performance.
- S-band to X-band reduces RAS/RAM performance by around 20dB. Resulting in -25dB overall performance.
- Ground aspect and non-optimized angles peaking at the sides at least degrades the -25dB to 3x that RCS area resulting in -20dB overall performance
- ECCM capabilities of such modern AESAs bring effectively no significant performance reductions when ECCM is applied. So the grand total stays at -20dB, while it would again improve to -25-30dB on legacy radars.

Now whats the performance of the Bavar-373 acquisition radar against a -20dB target from the released value (+ some assumptions)?
85km.
However in real world conditions this value changes: The subsonic very optimized F-117 with newest and best RAM/RAS may achieve that effectively -20dB but the F-35 is more likely to land at -10dB which results in 150km radar performance.

Conclusions is: If we assume that ideal applied stealth allows for -50dB improved RCS reduction (0,00001, smaller than a pea) and 10dB less for the less optimized supersonic F-35 with total execution of -40dB, resulting at -20dB against the Bavar-373 acquisition radar, then it kills the target at 150km.

Luckily for the Bavar-373, it has upper echelon battalion level radar assets with Meraj-4 and potentially Iranian-Nebo. These will detect the -10dB target at over 200km max. engagement range (Meraj-4) and over 300km (Iranian-Nebo). Not to talk about even higher echelon assets like Ghadir etc.
These can allow for a launch up with mid-course updates until the target comes within the range of the Bavar-373 battery level assets. In all situations the F-35 will be painted by 3-4 and more radars from different angles and some of them are extremely difficult to locate and turn away the peak aspects from.

Russians claim effective values of -5dB for F-22(F-35) which likely is because they talk about VHF-band assets. If that is the case and the Bavar-373 has the Iranian-Nebo supporting it, the range would become that max value of 200km.

So it can be said:
- Bavar-373 has a range of 85km against an ideal stealth asset (a kind of super F-117).
- 150km against a non-ideal one in the class of the F-35
- 200km, its max. range, if being supported by the Iranian-Nebo as acquisition radar.

As those radars have very high ECCM capabilities, the range reduction penalty due to successful and highly intensive ECM would be negligible or at best 20% from my estimations.

@T-72B

As a battalion maybe. A normal S-300PMU2 battery can engage 6 targets, as the Bavar-373.

And here's my blog post about it. An in-depth analysis of Iran's Bavar-373 long-range air defence system, detailing its advanced AESA radars and possible anti-stealth capabilities.

Iran's Bavar-373: A Profile

posted by Amir on August 24, 2019

Since the cancellation of the first S-300PMU-1 delivery by Russia in 2010, Iran vowed to develop a superior system, and the Bavar-373 was finally fully unveiled on Defence Industry Day on 22nd August 2019 after roughly 9 years of development.

771A8473.jpg

Read the full blog post and analysis at the link below

https://irangeomil.blogspot.com/2019/08/irans-bavar-373-profile.html

Back
Top Bottom