What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

**************************​

One thing I've just realised is that Iran may have bought the 96L6E radar in its S-300 system to act in a similar way against stealth targets as Bavar-373. Just like Bavar, Iran's S-300 (SA-20C as the Americans call it) at the battery level has an S-band* acquisition radar (96L6E) and an X-band engagement radar (30N6E2), while the missiles use SAGG guidance. Remains to be seen if the S-300 needs any software modifications to properly operate in this mode, but it does seem possible.

*There's disagreement over whether it's S-band, L-band or even C-band.

One thing I've just realised is that Iran may have bought the 96L6E radar in its S-300 system to act in a similar way against stealth targets as Bavar-373. Just like Bavar, Iran's S-300 (SA-20C as the Americans call it) at the battery level has an S-band* acquisition radar (96L6E) and an X-band engagement radar (30N6E2), while the missiles use SAGG guidance. Remains to be seen if the S-300 needs any software modifications to properly operate in this mode, but it does seem possible.

*There's disagreement over whether it's S-band, L-band or even C-band.

From all we know 96L6 can't perform azimuth electronic scan; hence you can't use it in the way I described for the Bavar-373.

I am sure they had this system a long time ago, but couldn't unveil it because of the situation in Yemen, but now that there are less threats, they officially showed it to the public.
Yep, in Jan 2018 when they shot a F-15 the Houthis announced they had used a new missile for that. Nobody knew about SA-6 at the time. Now, 18 months later and after shooting down 2 US MQ-9s, they finally reveal it to the world!

Hopefully Houthis have received Sayyad-2C with its apparently ARH seeker. Saudis captured a Sayyad-3C body section without the critical seeker and systems sections.
That system would have a extremely low footprint, a small truck with single launcher would be sufficient.
Hezbollah likely has it.
This, together with one of Irans passive thermal camera detection systems like the Seraj would be the absolute guerrilla air defense weapon. A nightmare for any SEAD/DEAD campaign...
This level of technological capability can easily decide the faith of a western air campaign.
Weakpoint is only the ARH seeker itself, self defense jamming can counter it and its true for anything up to the AMRAAM.

Hopefully Houthis have received Sayyad-2C with its apparently ARH seeker. Saudis captured a Sayyad-3C body section without the critical seeker and systems sections.
That system would have a extremely low footprint, a small truck with single launcher would be sufficient.
Hezbollah likely has it.
This, together with one of Irans passive thermal camera detection systems like the Seraj would be the absolute guerrilla air defense weapon. A nightmare for any SEAD/DEAD campaign...
This level of technological capability can easily decide the faith of a western air campaign.
Weakpoint is only the ARH seeker itself, self defense jamming can counter it and its true for anything up to the AMRAAM.

@PeeD do we have any Home on Jamming mode in our seeker pipelines? I know AMRAAM has a HOJ mode.

@PeeD do we have any Home on Jamming mode in our seeker pipelines? I know AMRAAM has a HOJ mode.

HOJ is relative easy to implement, however re-acquisition and back to HOJ creates gaps. A method to counter HOJ are towed barrage jammers... A inherent problem with ARH sekers... the close you get to your target, the higher the jamming power level gets...

Hezbollah likely has it.
should it have a laser range finder to measure the range?!

What are those on the sides? Ram jet?! Did they have access to S-200? Seems like the ram jets used for S-200 missiles

داداش این چه کینه ای ازت داره معلومه حسابی سوزوندیش. ایول :lol::tup:

He and all his supporters are anti Israel!! :lol:

So I guess that would make him pro Israel?

What are those on the sides? Ram jet?! Did they have access to S-200? Seems like the ram jets used for S-200 missiles
Yes Ramjet and those missiles are upgraded 3M9M missiles for SA-6 sam legacy system
upload_2019-8-24_23-25-38.jpeg

One thing I've just realised is that Iran may have bought the 96L6E radar in its S-300 system to act in a similar way against stealth targets as Bavar-373. Just like Bavar
Yes indeed they have purchased at least one unit:

389FD4DA-5D53-4AFA-9F66-901AD46CB007.jpeg

3EAA7D43-EFE7-4BD6-A29A-204F18625189.jpeg

593E3223-A70A-42E8-A5B8-AB5560C6DA29.jpeg

Iranian S-300 units are significantly more expensive than similar units other customers bought from Russia, and the reason is not clear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom