What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

And here's my blog post about it. An in-depth analysis of Iran's Bavar-373 long-range air defence system, detailing its advanced AESA radars and possible anti-stealth capabilities.

Iran's Bavar-373: A Profile

posted by Amir on August 24, 2019

Since the cancellation of the first S-300PMU-1 delivery by Russia in 2010, Iran vowed to develop a superior system, and the Bavar-373 was finally fully unveiled on Defence Industry Day on 22nd August 2019 after roughly 9 years of development.

771A8473.jpg

Read the full blog post and analysis at the link below

https://irangeomil.blogspot.com/2019/08/irans-bavar-373-profile.html
Great piece Amir Jan! Thanks for writing it!

I was inspired by Russian claims on RCS. It's actually fairly simple and I will explain how I figured it out:

- The F-35 without shaping techniques should be at 5dB
- With shaping techniques anything between -20-30dB reduction is physically possible imo. Resulting in -25dB overall performance
-RAS and RAM allow for another -25dB reduction, resulting in a total of -50dB which is very conservative my any merits.

Ok now here it what happens when operating against the Bavar-373:
- S-band to X-band reduces shaping performance by at least 5dB. Resulting in -45dB overall performance.
- S-band to X-band reduces RAS/RAM performance by around 20dB. Resulting in -25dB overall performance.
- Ground aspect and non-optimized angles peaking at the sides at least degrades the -25dB to 3x that RCS area resulting in -20dB overall performance
- ECCM capabilities of such modern AESAs bring effectively no significant performance reductions when ECCM is applied. So the grand total stays at -20dB, while it would again improve to -25-30dB on legacy radars.

Now whats the performance of the Bavar-373 acquisition radar against a -20dB target from the released value (+ some assumptions)?
85km.
However in real world conditions this value changes: The subsonic very optimized F-117 with newest and best RAM/RAS may achieve that effectively -20dB but the F-35 is more likely to land at -10dB which results in 150km radar performance.

Conclusions is: If we assume that ideal applied stealth allows for -50dB improved RCS reduction (0,00001, smaller than a pea) and 10dB less for the less optimized supersonic F-35 with total execution of -40dB, resulting at -20dB against the Bavar-373 acquisition radar, then it kills the target at 150km.

Luckily for the Bavar-373, it has upper echelon battalion level radar assets with Meraj-4 and potentially Iranian-Nebo. These will detect the -10dB target at over 200km max. engagement range (Meraj-4) and over 300km (Iranian-Nebo). Not to talk about even higher echelon assets like Ghadir etc.
These can allow for a launch up with mid-course updates until the target comes within the range of the Bavar-373 battery level assets. In all situations the F-35 will be painted by 3-4 and more radars from different angles and some of them are extremely difficult to locate and turn away the peak aspects from.

Russians claim effective values of -5dB for F-22(F-35) which likely is because they talk about VHF-band assets. If that is the case and the Bavar-373 has the Iranian-Nebo supporting it, the range would become that max value of 200km.

So it can be said:
- Bavar-373 has a range of 85km against an ideal stealth asset (a kind of super F-117).
- 150km against a non-ideal one in the class of the F-35
- 200km, its max. range, if being supported by the Iranian-Nebo as acquisition radar.

As those radars have very high ECCM capabilities, the range reduction penalty due to successful and highly intensive ECM would be negligible or at best 20% from my estimations.

@T-72B

As a battalion maybe. A normal S-300PMU2 battery can engage 6 targets, as the Bavar-373.
Would mast mounting of the bavar s and x band radars be worth it at fixed and semi fixed installations to increase both low altitude and over all detection ranges?.
96N6-40V6.jpg

And here's my blog post about it. An in-depth analysis of Iran's Bavar-373 long-range air defence system, detailing its advanced AESA radars and possible anti-stealth capabilities.

Since the cancellation of the first S-300PMU-1 delivery by Russia in 2010, Iran vowed to develop a superior system, and the Bavar-373 was finally fully unveiled on Defence Industry Day on 22nd August 2019 after roughly 9 years of development.

771A8473.jpg

Great article. Thank you. The depth of knowledge of yourself and PeeD in the field of missiles and radars make us all Iranians so proud. Special Tanks to PeeD for taking time to answer all of the questions in detail and without prejudice.

@skyshadow
I mean this
View attachment 575673

Also @skyshadow some sources say that B-373 can track 100 targets while other sources say 300 so which one is true?

Still lose to S-300PMU-2 radar which can engage 36 targets and guide 72 missiles

i don't know about that ( cannon on fighters ) i do not think that is possible not for Iran at least

yes Iran said Bavar-373 can track up to 300 targets.

every battalion of S-300PMU-2 can engage 36 targets and guide 72 missiles just like Bavar-373, every battery of S-300PMU-2 can engage only with 6 targets and guide 12 missiles again just like Bavar-373, and i just read some were that Bavar-373 radar can engage with 9 targets i don't know if its reliable or not, and not 6. so in that regard they are the same if Iran told us the real numbers as Bavar-373 is not for export and we do not have to say it's real capabilities to the enemy and as i said Bavar-373 may engage with 9 targets.

https://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13980602001006

"He also said that Iran uses 'Oqab (Eagle)' missile shield to confront enemy's flying objects in low altitude, explaining that it can confront fighters, drones and cruise missiles."

What is that oqab, Iranian pantsir???

not known but they said that Iran has a system that jammers and interfere with fighters that fly low to scape radars and when fighter realises that its system does not work ( which the pilot thinks its technological as he flying that low ) he would then change altitude and he will go up and our radars will get a lock on his fighter jet.

771A8473.jpg

like your analysis :tup:

Iran said the radar can engage targets out of 250 km ( for the X band )range and not 200 km range

X-band radar would be able to engage conventional (non-VLO) aircraft out at ranges of 200 km

more then 320 km for the S bad radar

"the range of detected targets (320 km)"

Last edited:
not known but they said that Iran has a system that jammers and interfere with fighters that fly low to scape radars and when fighter realises that its system does not work ( which the pilot thinks its technological as he flying that low ) he would then change altitude and he will go up and our radars will get a luck on his fighter jet.

Actually ECM/jamming is one of the characteristics of AESA radars. Since it has a broadband amplifiers per each TRM, they can transmit across the band and they can create noise similar to a white noise. Combine that with a pencil shape beam forming, and you have a very powerful jammer that can push noise on a specific spot.

In addition, since it's an AESA, they have inherent ECCM capability as they are operating in a 'broardband' and with a pre coded and pseudo random frequency switching/hopping mode. This prevents the jammer to occupy the right channel easily.

In addition, they are hard to intercept as they can appear as a background noise depending on quality of TRM amplifiers and antenna designs and sensitivity of enemies receiver and signal processing pipeline.

771A8473.jpg

Awesome read @AmirPatriot :)

Great article. Thank you. The depth of knowledge of yourself and PeeD in the field of missiles and radars make us all Iranians so proud. Special Tanks to PeeD for taking time to answer all of the questions in detail and without prejudice.

Thanks for the kind words. As you said, we must all give special thanks to @PeeD for his input in the past week, it was very valuable and revealing. I learnt a lot and that was reflected in my blog post.

like your analysis :tup:

Iran said the radar can engage targets out of 250 km ( for the X band )range and not 200 km range

X-band radar would be able to engage conventional (non-VLO) aircraft out at ranges of 200 km

more then 320 km for the S bad radar

"the range of detected targets (320 km)"

The numbers and what performance aspect they belong to are translated from the below image, and I am confident of the translation. The Artesh's official Telegram channel gave the exact same numbers.

upload_2019-8-24_17-51-33.png

Mamnoon arashkamangir jan.

@AmirPatriot
B373 suppose to have TVC...
A news that confirmed and demonstrated that, may be by fars news in earlier.
U didn't confirmed that...

It was not clearly demonstrated, that is speculation. As PeeD said earlier the same sharp turn and exhaust offset is seen in the Fateh missiles which we know do not have TVC.

As for the Fars article, I am aware of it. In that section they did not quote a single official and in the past few days no official has said Bavar uses TVC. In fact I don't think they have said that at all during Bavar's whole development path.

Back
Top Bottom