What's new

Russia 'expects' Fateh-110 and Zolfaghar and other missiles from Iran

Mehdipersian

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Zolfaghar-missile-EN.jpg

UNSCR 2231’s missile restrictions ban Iran from exporting missiles with a range of 300 kilometers or more.[33]

Ukranian and Israeli intelligence reports indicate that Russia seeks to acquire Iran’s Fateh-110 and Zolfaghar ballistic missiles, both of which have ranges of 300 kilometers or more.[34] Shoigu visited the Iranian booth at the Russian military exposition in Moscow in August, during which Iranian officials showcased a variety of Iranian missile systems, including the Zolfaghar.[35]
Fateh-110-missile-EN-1086x1536.jpg

Unidentified Iranian officials told Western media in October 2022 that Iran and Russia had reached a deal for Iran to provide Russia with surface-to-surface missiles, including the Zolfaghar missile, in addition to more drones.[36]

Ukrainian military officials have additionally noted on multiple occasions that Russia has depleted its missile stockpile during its invasion of Ukraine.[37] American and British officials warned in December 2022 that Russia attempting to acquire Iranian missiles to address its acute shortage.[38]

Shoigu’s visit to Tehran is part of a broader trend of Russo-Iranian defense industrial interactions in recent weeks. Iranian Defense Ministry officials showcased miniature replicas of a variety of Iranian air defense systems, drones, and missiles at a Russian military exposition in Moscow in August 2023.[39]

The officials displayed a miniature replica of the Ababil ballistic missile for the first time. Hajji Zadeh subsequently showcased a life-size Ababil missile during Shoigu’s visit to the IRGC Aerospace Force Headquarters on September 20.[40]

Below is a table of some of the ballistic, cruise, anti-tank, and air defense missile systems Iranian officials have most frequently discussed or showcased to Russian officials since fall 2022:[41]
Screenshot_20231003_230440_com.android.chrome~01.jpg

Russia would violate its Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) obligations were it to acquire these missile systems. Iran would violate UNSCR 2231 were it to export these systems prior to the October 18 expiration. Iran is not an MTCR member-state even though UNSCR 2231 references the MTCR’s banned Category I “complete delivery systems,” systems with a 300 or more-kilometer range and a 500 or more-kilogram payload.[54]

UNSCR 2231’s missile restrictions ban Iran from exporting missiles with a range of 300 kilometers or more.[33]
I like anybody show me exactly where in that resolution Iran is prohibited from selling any missile with range more than 300km 2 weeks from now
Russia would violate its Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) obligations were it to acquire these missile systems.
can some one show me how MTCR prevent import of such system

by the way how exporting storm shadow don't violate some other countries obligation not to export such system

UNSCR 2231 is nullified since 2018, Iran does not have to abide by anything written in it and has done so since 2018.

Also weird claims concerning F-110 CEP as 100m of CEP, the reference redirects to https://www.iranwatch.org/our-publi...ground-report/table-irans-missile-arsenal#fn9, which redirect to the 9th reference, which contains nothing but a quote "The Khalij Fars is the anti-ship variant of the Fateh-110, while the Hormuz is the anti-radar variant." it seems they are confusing with different versions of Fateh

If someone has more info on the accuracy of both missile it would be appreciated

by the way how exporting storm shadow don't violate some other countries obligation not to export such system

If you bother doing any research you will realize to be in violation of MTCR you to need to export a missile with at least 500kg warhead that goes at least 300KM.

Export variant of storm shadow goes 290KM and less than 500kg warhead.

No violation

What consequences has for Iran any violation in this regard? Why Iran has to abide to this stupid resolutions?

What consequences has for Iran any violation in this regard? Why Iran has to abide to this stupid resolutions?
The least i know is resolution UNSCR 2231 made after JCPOA signed is nullified since 2018 U.S withdrawal from the JCPOA, it is stated in it that if a party violates the deal, then no one else involved has to abide by any of the resolution "rules" (i.e test of ballistic missiles, uranium enrichment)

As far as i know MTCR is not a treaty, Iran is not signatory

Iran is probably waiting for the resolution to expire for strict PR purpose, so that no one could blame Iran has violated something or whatever

UNSCR 2231 is indirectly nullified since 2018, Iran has "violated" it multiple times already as every other parties did, it means nothing but toilet paper for PR purposes

If you bother doing any research you will realize to be in violation of MTCR you to need to export a missile with at least 500kg warhead that goes at least 300KM.

Export variant of storm shadow goes 290KM and less than 500kg warhead.

No violation
Well as far as I know Iran is not a member of MTCR so no violation on Iranian side, Iran could sell weapons after 8 years of adoption day of JCPoA back in October 2015 but Russia is a member.
I am not sure but I think 300 km restriction is a part of UN register of conventional arms not MTCR that Iran ain't a member.

Well as far as I know Iran is not a member of MTCR so no violation on Iranian side, Iran could sell weapons after 8 years of adoption day of JCPoA back in October 2015 but Russia is a member.
I am not sure but I think 300 km restriction is a part of UN register of conventional arms not MTCR that Iran ain't a member.
MTCR is a treaty about exporting those type of weapons . it won't prevent anybody from importing them .

also the treaty is one of the most biased and one sided treaties in that field . it allow NATO members to export such weapons to other NATO members, if i was Russia just because of that aspect of treaty I'd have left it years ago

MTCR is a treaty about exporting those type of weapons . it won't prevent anybody from importing them .

also the treaty is one of the most biased and one sided treaties in that field . it allow NATO members to export such weapons to other NATO members, if i was Russia just because of that aspect of treaty I'd have left it years ago

It s not normal to accept biased agreements and accords, when it happens it only can be due to these possible reasons:

- You are the loser of a war.
- You have traitors in diplomatic team that accepts unfavourable accords for a reason (money, favours,...)

Well implementation of MTCR is not mandatory by members and is not a treaty.
The world is biased not treaties or law as it's controlled by countries with different agendas and political goals.
The EU and the US has already announced they would make the missile sanctions, that are supposed be terminated within 2 weeks, their internal laws and keep them in place so why bothering?
Russia became member back in 90s when they loved to be accepted as a part of EU and West, esp after collapse of the USSR which never happened.

The whole point of MTCR was a late Cold War relic. It is to prevent the export of WMD capable BMs or CMs proliferation to countries without the capability to build such systems.

Now a days they try to block it even if Missile is conventional equipped by saying it can be “converted” to WMD capable.

MTCR is a treaty about exporting those type of weapons .

It’s not a treaty, again google is your friend. Why do you keep pushing wrong information.

MTCR It’s merely an informal understanding. No binding enforcement or punishment.

Fateh 110 is an extremely underrated system

Pinpoint accuracy of 10m , which puts 500kg of explosives coming at you at mach 4.

It is absolutely devastating, cheap and extremely easy to produce for Iran in mass numbers.

its soo cheap and devastating, i could see Russians using it to bury and clear trenches of ukie cannon fodder. ( in addition to its obvious role of targeting high value targets)

Being able to mass produce devastatingly accurate and effective weaponry is something no western nation can ever do

It’s important to differentiate that F-110 assembly line likely no longer exists outside of F-110D (4th gen) circa 2012.

F-110 1st to 4th Gen were Quasi BM like Iskander. They never left the upper atmosphere. CEP was <10m but potentially as high as 15m. Iran unveiled the Mobin warhead for older F-110 that improved accuracy to 5M using an IR sensor in the nose. This was able to make 1-3rd gen F-110 much more accurate as well as use target imaging data to strike small targets.

Starting with Zolfghar, Haj Qasem, Dezful, and RAD-500 they became BM trajectories. Accuracy improved to 5-10 meters with improved INS and warhead tech.

Lastly there is Keiybar Shekan which is an off branch of the latter F-110 successors which uses a depressed glide (not to be confused with HGV, but a GV warhead) trajectory inside the atmosphere to stay below the radar horizon of the enemy using the curvature of the earth to its advantage before it hits the target.

’s not a treaty, again google is your friend. Why do you keep pushing wrong information.

MTCR It’s merely an informal understanding. No binding enforcement or punishment.
The fact is that it's all about export not import

Back
Top Bottom