What's new

Iran unveiled indigenous "kowsar" fighter jet with 4th gen avionics

no pics only these doodles hanging behind truck wont make much difference

Looks a lot like EL2032

View attachment 495422
you only can hope that the capabilities be the same

If that's true than it has capability to arm with R-77 and R-73 right?
those missilr are far more practical than Fakour or Aim-54 that were suggested here for this plane ,sadly we don't have any R-77 and I doubt if anyone will sell them to us and I yet to see any missile in that class in Iran inventory or being worked on by Iran

you only can hope that the capabilities be the same

those missilr are far more practical than Fakour or Aim-54 that were suggested here for this plane ,sadly we don't have any R-77 and I doubt if anyone will sell them to us and I yet to see any missile in that class in Iran inventory or being worked on by Iran
Iran seriously needed a BVR missile like AiM-120 or R-77, if they still stick with AiM-54 it will be useless against other fighter jet

If that's true than it has capability to arm with R-77 and R-73 right?

All I said was that it looks like the ELM 2032 not that it is that vary same radar!

This is the Absar SAR radar

upload_2018-8-30_9-39-36.jpeg

So reverse engineering a pulse doppler Multipurpose SAR radar similar to the ELM 2032 wouldn't be outside Iran's capabilities nor something new for Iran!

Especially since various countries use the ELM 2032 as an affordable upgrade solution it is defiantly a platform Iran could have purchased on the black market to reverse engineer years ago but what type of weapons will go with it has more to do with compatibility of software.

As for the weapons systems so far Iran hasn't shown what type of weapons will go with the Aircraft but If I was to guess if your going to devote man hours towards developing your own weapon systems it's because you don't wanna buy over prices foreign weapons! Also, one of the main problems for Iran's Air Force during the Iran-Iraq war was a shortage of Air to Air missiles

And since Iran produces various SAM missiles and a few Air to Air missiles I doubt they plan on using foreign purchased weapons on these Aircraft in the long run

I also think if a country has it's own weapons systems most countries will even offer the software solution that would be needed to make their missile compatible so they can sell their overpriced missiles so I don't think Iran would have any trouble making Russian or Chinese missiles compatible until an Iranian solution in all ranges is produced

Iran seriously needed a BVR missile like AiM-120 or R-77, if they still stick with AiM-54 it will be useless against other fighter jet
Fakour is not based on AIM-54 its based more on MIM-23
by the way the problem with Aim-54 is not that it miss target more than other missile ,the problem is its a big missile and not all airplane can carry it ,also its a 70s design that they don't bother upgrading with modern technologies .otherwise even if it don't directly hit target it can use its proximity switch to rain 400kg of shrapnel over the target or in its path .and believe me no airplane can eat that and stay healthy .
but yes we need an air to Air missile which is more compact.

The HAWK missiles Iran produces today are NOTHING like the HAWK missiles given to Iran in the 70's and 80's
So don't expect that the AiM-54 will be either at least in terms of tracking and guidance!

But the 1000lb AiM-54 is NOT a good solution for the Kowsar or F-5 mainly because it's just too heavy!

Yes the HAWK's are oversized which limits their maneuvering capability and they may be useless against 5th Generation fighters but I wouldn't say they are useless!!!!!!

If your not being jammed an F-15, F-16 or an F/A-18 carry 8,000 lb on it's wings are NOT going to be any harder to hit than F-1's were during the Iran-Iraq war and they'll either have to release their weapons and run or get shot down!

No ... it cannot !
a MIM-23 is 590kg , an AIM-54 is 450-470kg .
you think how much each pylon on F-5 can carry ?
so no it cant carry the missile unless we strengthen the wing and architecture of airplane dramatically .

An F-5 can carry variety of rocket pods that non of them even come near 250kg when fully loaded
it can carry 4x AIM-9 or 4xAIM120 or 2x AGM-56 in Iran we have R-27 ,R-73 and R-60 in those class
It can carry variety of 250 and 500 pound general purpose bombs it can carry variety of 300-350kg cluster bombs in innermost pylons those three innermost pylon can carry 3x1000 liter fuel tanks but if you use it for anything else your range will become less than half .( the plane carry 2,563 L of fuel internally and those tanks carry 3120 L more fuel for the airplane)
and don't forget two outer pylon can only carry AIM-9 missile

Yes the HAWK's are oversized which limits their maneuvering capability and they may be useless against 5th Generation fighters but I wouldn't say they are useless!!!!!!
you must consider one thing , only in Hollywood movies (More likely James Bond Movies)an A2A missile play a cat and Dog chase with airplane . a missile calculate were your airplane will be at the time it reach to the plane and maneuver according to that . you may pull 7g to escape the incoming missile but sadly for you the maneuver that the missile needs to align itself with you may only need 3.5g .

Unfortunately until Iran shows that it is mass producing PGMs and A2A missiles in significant numbers, it will always be a question mark wether Iran Air Force has enough munitions to sustain a long war effort.

Saddam wasn’t targeting production facilities as much as the US will in an all out War.

So if Iran doesn’t have a sufficient stockpile, it could run out of munitions faster than thinks. Just look at Russia and how much munitions it used in Civil War in syria.

a MIM-23 is 590kg , an AIM-54 is 450-470kg .
you think how much each pylon on F-5 can carry ?
so no it cant carry the missile unless we strengthen the wing and architecture of airplane dramatically .

An F-5 can carry variety of rocket pods that non of them even come near 250kg when fully loaded
it can carry 4x AIM-9 or 4xAIM120 or 2x AGM-56 in Iran we have R-27 ,R-73 and R-60 in those class
It can carry variety of 250 and 500 pound general purpose bombs it can carry variety of 300-350kg cluster bombs in innermost pylons those three innermost pylon can carry 3x1000 liter fuel tanks but if you use it for anything else your range will become less than half .( the plane carry 2,563 L of fuel internally and those tanks carry 3120 L more fuel for the airplane)
and don't forget two outer pylon can only carry AIM-9 missile

you must consider one thing , only in Hollywood movies (More likely James Bond Movies)an A2A missile play a cat and Dog chase with airplane . a missile calculate were your airplane will be at the time it reach to the plane and maneuver according to that . you may pull 7g to escape the incoming missile but sadly for you the maneuver that the missile needs to align itself with you may only need 3.5g .

AiM-54's are 1000lb and Iranian F-5's or Kosar's could easily carry up to two under their wings on their inner pylons but it would be a bit absurd because due to their size and weight they will greatly effect your speed and maneuverability

And no matter how much you upgrade it the MAIN problem with the F-5 in a country the size of Iran is the lack of range and payload capacity and by the most part F-5's are restricted to combat operation within ~400km of the base they takeoff from and since the F-5's are incapable of delivering high payloads to targets even within that range the cost benefit analysis of such a fighter for a country the size of Iran does not make sense because you'll need a fleet of a few thousand with at least 10 new bases with 100's of Aircrafts taking off for training every day and you would be spending billons on Jet fuel alone for a fighter that wouldn't be able to hit targets 400km from Iranian soil with a sufficient sized payload for it to be worth it!

Sadly every fighter Iran has worked on in the past 20 years has the very same problem! Shafaq, Simorgh, Azarakhsh 1/2, Saegheh 1/2, Kowsar trainer/attack, Kosar (F-5), Q-313, Bavar…

If in the past decade Iran's Air Force rather than wasting time playing around with the F-5's & J-85's had moved on to producing something similar to the J-79 and building the tools needed to produce a twin engine, twin seat delta winged platform around those engines with these upgrades, Iran today could have started producing a platform that would have easily been good enough to replace it's F-4's, F-1's, J-7's, Su-22, Su-24's & maybe even it's F-14's and that's how you save money in the long run!

AA9EB772-E213-4376-89DF-0C212DB4B657.jpeg
0A96CB2E-AC20-4123-8086-66931497FD8F.jpeg
65F712F1-18A4-4D09-888D-882EC9D4DEC1.jpeg

Boys,show you some pictures of J series cockpit, make your mind keep up the world

Different versions have different changes with constant upgration

Last edited:
The HAWK missiles Iran produces today are NOTHING like the HAWK missiles given to Iran in the 70's and 80's
So don't expect that the AiM-54 will be either at least in terms of tracking and guidance!

But the 1000lb AiM-54 is NOT a good solution for the Kowsar or F-5 mainly because it's just too heavy!

If your not being jammed an F-15, F-16 or an F/A-18 carry 8,000 lb on it's wings are NOT going to be any harder to hit than F-1's were during the Iran-Iraq war and they'll either have to release their weapons and run or get shot down!
But AiM-54 is not manuerevable
And Fakour using the same body of AiM-54 which is questionable whether it is manuevareble or not,but i hear about Sejjil A2A missile,what is it this project about? Is it MiM-23 convert to A2A program?

But AiM-54 is not maneuverable
And Fakour using the same body of AiM-54 which is questionable whether it is manuevareble or not,but i hear about Sejjil A2A missile,what is it this project about? Is it MiM-23 convert to A2A program?
I wonder who told you guys Aim-54 is not maneuverable , if you mean at the end of its range when it loosing speed then at that range no missile is maneuverable . and why you guys think a missile chase your airplane and copy every maneuver you make with your airplane ? you knew AIM-54a was the first missile that was able to hit a drone target maneuvering at 6g , the missile was designed to answer different type of situation ,included maneuvering targets and AIM-54c was a lot better .
you see its how Aim-54 works, there is no need to hit target , I assure you there is 0% change that drone or if it was Airplane , Airplane survive
AIM-54_Phoenix_destroys_QF-4_drone_1983.jpeg

by the way Sedjil was a MIM-23 optimizing for A2A role , its development lead to Fakour missile as AIM-54 body was more Suitable for Air launch than MIM-23 body .

I wonder who told you guys Aim-54 is not maneuverable , if you mean at the end of its range when it loosing speed then at that range no missile is maneuverable . and why you guys think a missile chase your airplane and copy every maneuver you make with your airplane ? you knew AIM-54a was the first missile that was able to hit a drone target maneuvering at 6g , the missile was designed to answer different type of situation ,included maneuvering targets and AIM-54c was a lot better .
you see its how Aim-54 works, there is no need to hit target , I assure you there is 0% change that drone or if it was Airplane , Airplane survive
AIM-54_Phoenix_destroys_QF-4_drone_1983.jpeg

by the way Sedjil was a MIM-23 optimizing for A2A role , its development lead to Fakour missile as AIM-54 body was more Suitable for Air launch than MIM-23 body .
K thanks because i read other anlaysts says that AiM-54 is not suitable for dog fighthing other fighter jet like F-15 and F-16 and only suitable for firing at bombers

It is a fighter jet not a trainer and this jet is not made in Iran. Iran has been taking deliveries ever since the sanctions were lifted. The news is being made public just now. The signing of the contract was not disclosed due fears of US intervention. :)

Just some unofficial chatter the jet is of Chinese origin. I don't want to break the suspense but there will be a huge cry after this all.

So, it was not some mysterious plane that Iran have been taking deliveries of ever since sanctions lifted nor was it Chinese.

In some news which is now floating out there it says the purpose of the new jet is to defend Eurasia route and BRI so what ever is going to fly it will have Chinese foot print.

Back
Top Bottom