What's new

Iran Tourism

I herd somewhere that if i get a Iranian VISA my chances of ever going to US or Europe will be F*****

I think that as far as the USA is concerned, we will let you in. But you will be followed around until we can entrap you into some terrorist plot, then throw you in jail. The good news is that from then on, your visit to the USA will be entirely free! So, if you go to Iran, don't let them stamp your passport with entry and exit stamps.

@Yzd Khalifa

tell us about ur time in Tehran AND Mashad.

Excuse my humble limited experience regarding the visit as it wasn't meant to be a recreational/touristic travel.

It was a work-visit, didn't have much of time to hang out really, but here are some things I noticed :-

1- Tehran is an overcrowded city, especially during the night.

2- Iranian food is tasty, I like Isfahan juice, Iranian-style Kebab and rice.

3- The presence of revolutionism is quite obvious, it became obvious to me that most Iranian are sticking to their leaders as much as the UAE and KSA nations are sticking to their leaders.

4- I noticed that the Iranians are very emotional, I have seen some pics hanged on the streets for those who lost their loved ones.

5- The spiritual presence is too strong when I was in Meshad, Shia-religion students were twices double than other civilians, those students study in Hawzahs for years to become Immams and Sayeds.

These are most of the things that I've noticed :smart:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Sam1980

You should post some pictures of Iran's main tourist attraction areas, hotels, historical sites, etc.

Thank you very much, that's a very good idea, but I actually created this thread to answer people's questions in regards to travel to Iran. But I will try to do that once in a while. ;)

@Sam1980 ... can you also teach us a bit of basic farsi... :P

Haha... :D I don't know if I'm really the best man for the job! :D

But, if you're really interested, here are some sources you could use:

http://www.studypersian.com/
http://www.easypersian.com/

@Sam1980: Don't think I am trolling bro,how do you think the Iranian public will receive a
1. A non-muslim,say a christian.
2. A born muslim,but a non-believer.

No problem bro, I actually would encourage people to ask questions, these questions in particular, because some people are really interested to travel to Iran, but they won't, because they fear that they might be jailed for their beliefs.

1- Iranians in general have no problem with people of other faiths, Christianity and Judaism are both recognized under the Iran's constitution. However, its advisable not go around trying to convert people.

2- Many of the Iranians don't have any religious affiliation themselves, this trend is more prominent among the youth. But again, its advisable not to reveal this to anyone.

Overall, you won't be harassed for your beliefs, but be on the safe side, even my American friends don't know about my religious beliefs, and I'm living in a free country.

How is to travel without knowing Farsi?

And sorry for this stupid question. Will there be a chance of being accused as a spy if you travel from a western country to Iran or Iran to a western country? I've heard some stories of people who were accused as spies.

As a retired older American, i.e. not of "spy" age or background, would I be able to move about Iran freely without government minders? Or would I have to be constantly on guard that I might become a hostage or pawn of the Iranian government trying to trade me for something the Iranian government wants from the US government? That is, what if I went camping in the desert could the Iranian government decide to charge me with espionage just so they have a new bargaining chip? It seems extraordinarily dangerous for any American to visit Iran.

You will most probably need a tour guide, and believe me that's not a bad thing, majority of Iranians don't have a very good command of English, and without a tour guide, you won't be able to get very far either.

No, you won't be held "hostage", actually let me correct you, "arrested", as long as you don't get caught taking pictures of sensitive military sites, or even police stations. That's why you need a tour guide, because some of the "Basij" buildings are in middle of city, and they (tour guides) know the places that will get you in trouble if you take pictures from.

But, really, don't worry, Iran is very safe to travel.

How is to travel without knowing Farsi?

And sorry for this stupid question. Will there be a chance of being accused as a spy if you travel from a western country to Iran or Iran to a western country? I've heard some stories of people who were accused as spies.

That's a very good question! Its not stupid at all!
That's why you need a tour guide!

See my friend, if you're caught taking pictures from areas, Iranian government deem as sensitive, then you're in trouble, I don't want to tell you lies. Iranians are not exempted from this law either.

I herd somewhere that if i get a Iranian VISA my chances of ever going to US or Europe will be F*****

LOL!!! If that's the case than why US is giving Green Cards & Student Visas to Iranians?

@Topic - Iran is no doubt beautiful country, Shiraz & Ramsar are amazing however Esfahan was not as per expectation. Next i am planing to go to Hamadan to see water cave

That's a very good question! Its not stupid at all!
That's why you need a tour guide!

See my friend, if you're caught taking pictures from areas, Iranian government deem as sensitive, then you're in trouble, I don't want to tell you lies. Iranians are not exempted from this law either.

Sorry I didn't notice Truthseeker also asked the same questions. How much does it take to hire a tour guide in Shiraz to cover all famous places there? I personally don't like to hire tour guides because it takes away the freedom and limit the ability to experience a different culture. I have seen westerners who travel all around Sri Lanka without knowing a word of our language and once my parents took me to a rural minority area in Sri Lanka and they didn't know word of their language (Tamil language) but it turned out to be a good experience. How hard will it be to travel alone? And I can learn some basic phases of Farsi. By the away is it common to see tourists in Shiraz?

Sorry I didn't notice Truthseeker also asked the same questions. How much does it take to hire a tour guide in Shiraz to cover all famous places there? I personally don't like to hire tour guides because it takes away the freedom and limit the ability to experience a different culture. I have seen westerners who travel all around Sri Lanka without knowing a word of our language and once my parents took me to a rural minority area in Sri Lanka and they didn't know word of their language (Tamil language) but it turned out to be a good experience. How hard will it be to travel alone? And I can learn some basic phases of Farsi. By the away is it common to see tourists in Shiraz?

Well, actually it depends. But since you're in UK, you could refer to:

Holidays in Iran | Iran Tours | Uzbekistan Holiday | Persian Voyages
Iran Adventure Holidays | Exodus

You could very well travel to Iran without a tour guide, since you're not an American citizen.

By the way, you might find this interesting:

IRAN Documentary Yesterday and Today : Rick Steves - YouTube

I already posted the links related to Persian learning websites in one of my previous posts ;)

Speaking for myself I would love to visit Iran someday, its got such a rich culture and history. Its a pity I never got a chance to visit when I was living next door in Pakistan but still hopefully one day :)

I'm sorry, I didn't see your post! :ashamed:

- Whats the crime situation like for locals? for tourists?

Iran is a very safe country to travel, but as a foreigner you have to be aware not to fall in "bogus police" trap and always ask for identification card when approached by the "police".

- Whats the rule on taking pics and videos? is it generally allowed everywhere?

Yes, you can take pictures, as long as you're not taking picture from anything sensitive, such as: military bases, police stations, power stations, etc...

I'm sorry, I didn't see your post! :ashamed:

Iran is a very safe country to travel, but as a foreigner you have to be aware not to fall in "bogus police" trap and always ask for identification card when approached by the "police".

Yes, you can take pictures, as long as you're not taking picture from anything sensitive, such as: military bases, police stations, power stations, etc...

Thanks for the information :)

iranian paradise !!!! ultra beautiful garden in shiraz (i was there just a week ago)

eram_gardens_shiraz_iran.jpg

52040434.jpg

00004-Arghavan.jpg

bagh-e-eram-garden-shiraz.jpg

Back
Top Bottom