What's new

Iran to hold a Holocaust cartoon competition in response to Charlie Hebdo

As far as freedom of speech is concerned Iranian are well within their rights to draw Holacaust cartoons.

But here is thing Prophet cartoons were drawn by liberal atheists of a French satirical weekly, who are equal opportunity critics.. they make fun of Muslims as well as Jews and Christians.

How does making fun of jews classify as a response to French Charlie hebdo, couldn't they whip up anything against the french?
It maybe because of the following:

Avigdor Lieberman urges supporters to distribute copies of Charlie Hebdo

Move by Israeli foreign minister comes after Muslim complaints over book store's planned sale of French satrical magazine featuring caricature of Prophet Mohammed.

Avigdor-Lieberman_3176144b.jpg

By Robert Tait, Jerusalem

6:37PM GMT 25 Jan 2015

Avigdor Lieberman, Israel's combative foreign minister, has urged supporters to distribute copies of the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo depicting the Prophet Mohammed after a leading book store cancelled a planned gala sale following complaints by Muslims.

Mr Lieberman, leader of the Yisrael Beiteinu party, called for the move on "free speech" grounds after Steimatsky, Israel's largest book chain, called off the event at its flagship Ramat Gan shop, near Tel Aviv, after Muslim leaders of Israel's Arab community pleaded with Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, to intervene.

The store imported 700 copies of the first edition of Charlie Hebdo produced following the murder of 12 people by French jihadists at the magazine's Paris offices on January 7.

The in-store event originally planned for Monday was replaced by sales on the internet after Masoud Ganaim, an Israeli-Arab MP and a member of Israel's Islamic Movement, wrote to Mr Netanyahu, warning that a high-profle public sale would be a "serious, dangerous, and stupid step" of which "no-one can predict the consequences".

"I hereby appeal to your sense of honor; please personally intervene to prevent Steimatzky from distribution of the magazine and the damaging images of the Prophet Mohammed, lest the Israeli government and Steimatzky be responsible for every consequence," Mr Ganaim wrote.

The Higher Arab Monitoring Committee, consisting of Israeli-Arab parliamentarians and council leaders, also condemned the planned sale as a "provocation".

The edition's front cover features a cartoon depicting the Prophet Mohammed saying "Je suis Charlie" under the headline "all is forgiven".

After Steimatsky shelved the event, Mr Lieberman - who has previously questioned the loyalty of Israel's Arab citizens - accused it of "surrendering to terrorism" and called on his party's supporters to buy thousands of copies of the magazine and distribute them around Israel for free.

"You cannot turn the state of Israel into the Islamic State," he said. "We won't allow radical Islam to terrorize us and turn the State of Israel into a state that submits to threats and hurts freedom of speech. Steimatzky's behaviour is unreasonable and inappropriate. It's surrendering to terrorism."

Steimatsky denied it was bowing to pressure but said in a statement that it was responding to requests from customers that it sell the magazine "in a more convenient place " while also suggesting that it had concerns for its staff's safety.

It added: "We have employees from all sectors and we need to take them into consideration. This isn't surrender to pressure, but rather consumers who want fair access to the issue and employees who are bothered by it."

Avigdor Lieberman urges supporters to distribute copies of Charlie Hebdo - Telegraph

I think you have a warped sense of freedom of speech. In fact I'm not sure you understand that verbal dissent is also freedom of speech.

You don't seem to understand the line between speech and blowing/ shooting up people over it.

This why you do so much harm to fellow moderate Muslims and Islam. Really a shame.

its not a shooting contest.....its a cartoon event.

lets devise a definition for "warped sense of freedom of speech"

You know man, this represents a loss of good will for you, not the jews. If the likes of Hitler had gassed 6 million of your people, I would have stood by you too because the truth is UNALTERABLE. If you want to take the low-line, that is your choice. It will only alienate you from the world community, not them.
hmm... what about Japanese massacres against China? US nuking Japan? my friend this world is evil, everybody killed ... the bloodshed that occurred on this earth is just disgusting ... the point here is to show the double standard... Iran does something and everyone goes crazy... but the west insults Muslims and others is it alright... what happened to free speech?

hmm... what about Japanese massacres against China? US nuking Japan? my friend this world is evil, everybody killed ... the bloodshed that occurred on this earth is just disgusting ... the point here is to show the double standard... Iran does something and everyone goes crazy... but the west insults Muslims and others is it alright... what happened to free speech?
27 million soviets no ones remembers them like they werent even humans

A request to Muslim commentators here, please while commenting use word "Sketch" instead "Cartoon" when using it referring to "Rehmat Ul Lil Alimeen". Thanks

On topic "Holocaust" or no "Holocaust", I have seen pictures of Jewish children suffering and sent to death (I don't know for sure if it's true or not) but if that is true, by God in my heart I had the same feeling that I had when I see a Palestinian child getting murdered or when I heard the news of our children getting brutally murdered at the hands of cowards. I won't deny my enmity but my moral ethics being a Muslim don’t allow me to support making fun of anyone’s Children death.

Nowhere i have spoken in favour of killing. Infect it should be condemned and no one should be killed even if it was disrespect to the most holy person of ours. All i am saying is that if disrespecting our believes are termed as freedom of speech and allowed then it should be applied and allowed for other religions too. Infect it means we should not stop anyone from ABSOLOUTLY anything coz offcourse it would be then against freedom of speech and terms like sentiments and provokation should be completly wiped out of any literature of any known languages.

I agree with you...respecting others' religion is moral and ethical obligation of each every person...but this cannot be equated to a crime least of all to the holocaust.

Doesn't look like it's a government supported thing... It does seem wrong but doesnt a civilian have the right to free speech?

This is in poor taste,regretfull. To make mockery of the dead is a sin across relegions.

Is the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) alive? The same principle does not apply to him (PBUH) when it comes to mock him?

Off topic there is thread here which has got some discussion about you I think, want me tag you?

Good, make fun of the jooz all you want, no problem. Just don't go around murdering in your god's name.

Good, make fun of the jooz all you want, no problem. Just don't go around murdering in your god's name.

Let me reword it for you

"Good, have patience and stay calm joooz, it’s no big thing. Just don't go around murdering Palestinian children after this competition."

See same thing but different perspective.

Is the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) alive? Why the same principle does not apply when he (PBUH) is mocked?

I think any god, for any relegion, would say the best way to be pious is not by prayers, but serving other humans of all relegion, includuing jews.
If you are you suggesting that we make a mockery of the dead men, women and children , so ruthlessly snuffed out, i suggest you need introspection.

Back
Top Bottom