What's new

Iran: Purchase of Russian Su-30 fighters on agenda

Su-30s would be a great replacement aircraft for the F-4D/E squadrons.
depend on how many type of Aircraft you want to have .but again by Su-30you get an airplane that come with old component , it has more range and carry more but ,the engine is not as advanced ad mig-35 , the radar is not as advanced as Mig-35 and the avionic is not as advance as mig-35, each hour of flight cost you a lot more than mig-35 and radar signature is more than mig-35. but well you'll win when it come to brute force .

as I said before revolution Iran planned to replace F-4s and F-5s with F-16 and not F-15.
right now also that's the logical plane for our Air Force ,F-4s and F-5s must be replaced with a lighter and more Agile modern Airplane like Mig-35 and For replacing F-14s we must look at a heavier Airplane and again SU-30 would be a sidestep not an upgrade.

depend on how many type of Aircraft you want to have .but again by Su-30you get an airplane that come with old component , it has more range and carry more but ,the engine is not as advanced ad mig-35 , the radar is not as advanced as Mig-35 and the avionic is not as advance as mig-35, each hour of flight cost you a lot more than mig-35 and radar signature is more than mig-35. but well you'll win when it come to brute force .

as I said before revolution Iran planned to replace F-4s and F-5s with F-16 and not F-15.
right now also that's the logical plane for our Air Force ,F-4s and F-5s must be replaced with a lighter and more Agile modern Airplane like Mig-35 and For replacing F-14s we must look at a heavier Airplane and again SU-30 would be a sidestep not an upgrade.

So then why not J-10C to replace F-4 and F-5?

I wonder why Iran is not working with the Chinese at this point?

Not the same size class. J-10 is medium. F-4 is large. F-5 is small.

Please see post before mine.

J-10 and F-16 are similar class.

DSI is more aerodynamic no gap between main fuselage and intake. More stealthy blocks engine fans. No moving parts no need for servicing and reduces weight.

So what?

Iran should get J-10C if it possibly can now to replace its F-4 and F-5.

Good point. However they might go for MiG-29 M/M2 or MiG-35 like Egypt and Iraq bought instead of J-10 because they have close relation with Russia, Egypt, Iraq.

Last edited:
I see some of our dear members pointing out to J-10 as a possible replacement for Su-30 . I searched a little bit and according to wiki the only user of J-10 is China ( need confirmation ) meanwhile Su-30 users :
1280px-Su-30_operators.png

1. It will make it harder to negotiate for buying J-10 since its only available in China .
2. If we put aside India ( rivalry reasons with China ) almost all other countries who got Su-30 from Russia have good relationship with China too .

I know its not a fair comparison between J-10 and Su-30 since J-10 is new and Su-30 sales started at least a decade ago .but there must be a good reason for it that Su-30 is very popular within these countries.

Iran's case :

KSA and Israel has been main rivals of Iran in the region so it makes sense for Iran to buy something to counter major threats from them and its F-15 shining in both SA and Israel inventories .what was USSR/Russia answer to American F-15 ?

The problem is two fold with Iran I believe.

One is financial.

Second is political.

I think the money is there if Iran really wanted to buy something.

Politically, I think the SU-30 for some reason is being withheld by Russia. I think there are some Israeli ties in Russia that limit how much Russia is willing to sell to Iran. I remember reading some rumor that Russia offered Iran the SU-27M3 rather than SU-30 or SU-35. Something to that effect. For whatever reason, I don’t think Iran can trust Russia.

That being said, I think Iran runs a real risk of being vulnerable by not addressing its Air Force.

Implementation of any plan takes time. The 70’s airframes are not getting any younger.

Also pilots need to remain proficient by getting time.

Although perhaps the SU-30 is better for Iran’s purposes, at least get the ball rolling with buying something.

J-10C is better than anything in Iran’s Air Force now.

Also, arrange for local production. That will keep the industry in Iran busy as well.

The problem is two fold with Iran I believe.

One is financial.

Second is political.

I think the money is there if Iran really wanted to buy something.

Politically, I think the SU-30 for some reason is being withheld by Russia. I think there are some Israeli ties in Russia that limit how much Russia is willing to sell to Iran. I remember reading some rumor that Russia offered Iran the SU-27M3 rather than SU-30 or SU-35. Something to that effect. For whatever reason, I don’t think Iran can trust Russia.

That being said, I think Iran runs a real risk of being vulnerable by not addressing its Air Force.

Implementation of any plan takes time. The 70’s airframes are not getting any younger.

Also pilots need to remain proficient by getting time.

Although perhaps the SU-30 is better for Iran’s purposes, at least get the ball rolling with buying something.

J-10C is better than anything in Iran’s Air Force now.

Also, arrange for local production. That will keep the industry in Iran busy as well.

Russia sold the latest S-300PMU2 to Iran. Russia recognizes Palestine, unlike America which does not. Russia is not beholden to Israel, even though many Israelis are immigrants from Russia and speak Russian as their first language. I wouldn't worry about it. If Iran wants Su-30, Iran will get Su-30. Guaranteed.

Russia sold the latest S-300PMU2 to Iran. Russia recognizes Palestine, unlike America which does not. Russia is not beholden to Israel, even though many Israelis are immigrants from Russia and speak Russian as their first language. I wouldn't worry about it. If Iran wants Su-30, Iran will get Su-30. Guaranteed.

You don't mention that Russia has very good relation with Israel and Russia doesn't want Iran to being so powerful so it could wipe out their weapons buyer and S-300 was an old deal and never put into sanctions list, i think Russia will just sent 36 Su-30 they don't want Iran to be to powerful

I see some of our dear members pointing out to J-10 as a possible replacement for Su-30 . I searched a little bit and according to wiki the only user of J-10 is China ( need confirmation ) meanwhile Su-30 users :
1280px-Su-30_operators.png

1. It will make it harder to negotiate for buying J-10 since its only available in China .
2. If we put aside India ( rivalry reasons with China ) almost all other countries who got Su-30 from Russia have good relationship with China too .

I know its not a fair comparison between J-10 and Su-30 since J-10 is new and Su-30 sales started at least a decade ago .but there must be a good reason for it that Su-30 is very popular within these countries.

Iran's case :

KSA and Israel has been main rivals of Iran in the region so it makes sense for Iran to buy something to counter major threats from them and its F-15 shining in both SA and Israel inventories .what was USSR/Russia answer to American F-15 ?
you see the problem for Iran air force is you want to answer what threat ?
Iran Airforce currently is consisted of many different Airplane from different Origin , that make it a maintenance nightmare.

as its stated Iran Air-force always wanted to have two type of fighter planes , a heavy air superiority fighter and A Lighter easier to maintain one like F-16 fr every day work and bombing Run.

if you compare Su-30 with airplanes like Mig-35 or J-10c you see Su-30 cost 4 time more to fly .also you cn't consider it a light fighter . while Mig-35 and J-10c can easily replace Iran fleet of F-4, F-5 , J7 or Mirage F1 .
here you can buy Mig-35 as its on the market for sale , but I never heard of J-10c to be for offer and also it don't have system like trust vectoring for engine and it can engage less target than mig-35 at the same time and also does any body knew the range of Radar for J-10c , the one on Mig-35 can detect a 3m^2 target from 250 km away. that's why I say mig-35 is good option for replacing Iran lighter air crafts.
now when you talk of Su-30 ,you must consider it's supposed to replace f-14 not F-4 or F-5 and honestly can anybody really consider it an Upgrade over F-14 for that we need a newer modern alternative.

You don't mention that Russia has very good relation with Israel and Russia doesn't want Iran to being so powerful so it could wipe out their weapons buyer and S-300 was an old deal and never put into sanctions list, i think Russia will just sent 36 Su-30 they don't want Iran to be to powerful

Russia is neutral. Unlike America which recognizes Israel but not Palestine, Russia recognizes both Israel and Palestine. Anyway, the point is, Russia has independent foreign policy, not beholden to any country like Israel or America. Russia sells whatever it wants to whomever it wants. It's no one else's business.

Russia sold the latest S-300PMU2 to Iran.

you forget to mention, "after witholding the system for 10 years!"
and only after Russia realized Iran is on the path surpassing the S-300 PMU-2 technology very soon, it had no choice because of the lawsuit
and no, Russia is not a trustwothy partner (many withholded projects like the Busher nuclear plant, Kilo submarine overhauling, fighter jet cooperation....), history shows it
And Kremlin is full with jews, also a too strong Iran is not in the interest of Russia
As member @yavar once sayd, Russia is only willing to sell stuff to Iran which it could achieve technologically by itself (thats why Russia proposed T-90 to Iran, because Iran was on the right path)...but Russia is not willing to sell anything above Irans possibilities..

Back
Top Bottom