What's new

Iran: Purchase of Russian Su-30 fighters on agenda

Do we have to?

Malaysia continues to face Russia-produced fighter aircraft problems

Malaysia’s Defence Minister Mohamad Sabu has confirmed that country’s Air Force continues to facemaintenance problems and a lack ofspare parts of its Russian-made fighter jet fleet, according to a report in The Star Online newspaper on 31 July.

According to the newspaper, the Defence Minister said that only four out of the 28 Russia-produced fighters jets owned by the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) are able to take to the skies.

Last time I checked our Mig-29s were okay and our guys even made a little show for Russian aircrafts !

fast respond teams stationed in capital's airport with their Migs :sick:

Iran needs much stronger Airforce, they must buy Su30s.

Iran shown interest in Su-30 but for whatever reason(economic or political pressure or security ) our Russian friends are not happy to sell . after that DM announced we are working to build better jet engines .

Last time I checked our Mig-29s were okay and our guys even made a little show for Russian aircrafts !

fast respond teams stationed in capital's airport with their Migs :sick:

Iran shown interest in Su-30 but for whatever reason(economic or political pressure or security ) our Russian friends are not happy to sell . after that DM announced we are working to build better jet engines .

Why not try China then? It seems like their technology and quality have improved.

Why not try China then? It seems like their technology and quality have improved.

I really don't know the reason :undecided: maybe it's easier to get better deals with Russia or we want to expand our relationship with Russia .

We already have good relationship with China but with Russia its different story .

China has improved enormously compared to where it was 25-30 years ago,but its still just not up to par with its russian and western counterparts sadly,especially when it comes to things like engine lifespan and avionics.They are slowly getting there buts its probably going to take them at least another decade to catch up.A better option might be to forget about trying to acquire 4th gen+ machines and waiting to see how the development of chinas 5th gen machines ie the j31 plays out in the next decade or so.

China has improved enormously compared to where it was 25-30 years ago,but its still just not up to par with its russian and western counterparts sadly,especially when it comes to things like engine lifespan and avionics.They are slowly getting there buts its probably going to take them at least another decade to catch up.A better option might be to forget about trying to acquire 4th gen+ machines and waiting to see how the development of chinas 5th gen machines ie the j31 plays out in the next decade or so.

I think there is a need for a 4th gen type.

You can't equip your air arm with only 5th gen. Its too expensive.

Look at Israel. They have the F-35 but will probably "buy" more F-15.

You need a sizeable 4+ gen fleet to go along with some 5th gen.

Iran needs to produce in Iran either SU-30 or J-10 now.

Iran spans 2000+ km. A long range jet like Su-30 is necessary. Smaller jets like JF-17 can be used for point defense.

I think there is a need for a 4th gen type.

You can't equip your air arm with only 5th gen. Its too expensive.

Look at Israel. They have the F-35 but will probably "buy" more F-15.

You need a sizeable 4+ gen fleet to go along with some 5th gen.

Iran needs to produce in Iran either SU-30 or J-10 now.
Unfortunately that just doesnt seem like an option right now if no ones going to sell them to iran,in addition is it actually worth all the expense of buying and operating machines like the j10 with its likely much higher operating costs and possibly less capable combat performance,assuming of course it would be available for sale to iran,when what iran really needs is an f14 equivalent?.The j10 would be a good replacement for the aged f5 and could possibly replace the mig29 tho.As for the 5th gens,well it would depend on what the price of a j31 worked out at,I suspect it would probably be cheaper that its western and russian cousins.If the price was around 100 million a pop then that would compare very well with the twin engine 4th gen+ eurofighters.Ultimately I think iran needs to start spending some very serious cash on rebuilding/modernising all its conventional forces,I think its also possible that the lure of such a very big deal might just make the russians reconsider selling iran all sorts of goodies.
Sadly tho,the airforce has long been considered the red haired step child in the iranian military which means its resource and funding priority is low,altho rouhani appears to have virtually no interest in the military and its programs at all.

Unfortunately that just doesnt seem like an option right now if no ones going to sell them to iran,in addition is it actually worth all the expense of buying and operating machines like the j10 with its likely much higher operating costs and possibly less capable combat performance,assuming of course it would be available for sale to iran,when what iran really needs is an f14 equivalent?.The j10 would be a good replacement for the aged f5 and could possibly replace the mig29 tho.As for the 5th gens,well it would depend on what the price of a j31 worked out at,I suspect it would probably be cheaper that its western and russian cousins.If the price was around 100 million a pop then that would compare very well with the twin engine 4th gen+ eurofighters.Ultimately I think iran needs to start spending some very serious cash on rebuilding/modernising all its conventional forces,I think its also possible that the lure of such a very big deal might just make the russians reconsider selling iran all sorts of goodies.
Sadly tho,the airforce has long been considered the red haired step child in the iranian military which means its resource and funding priority is low,altho rouhani appears to have virtually no interest in the military and its programs at all.

Its actaully quite sad as the SU-30 seems to be perfect for Iran to replace its Tomcats.

But I think the Russians are in bed with the Israelis which is preventing this.

I am not quite sure what the path forward will be but Iran MUST address this capability gap now.

The old American kit from the 70's won't last forever.

Its actaully quite sad as the SU-30 seems to be perfect for Iran to replace its Tomcats.

But I think the Russians are in bed with the Israelis which is preventing this.

I am not quite sure what the path forward will be but Iran MUST address this capability gap now.

The old American kit from the 70's won't last forever.

It simply won’t happen barring a breakthrough in Russia and Iranian relations. The West and Arab Monarchs have too many pressure points on Russia. Russia has its own restive Muslim population that are in very poor regions of Russia. Then there is the matter of Ukraine.

Russia is in trouble and if already knows it, it’s not showing it.

Anyway with regards to aircraft, Iran won’t put large amount of money into something that could possibly NOT work when it needs it most. For Iran to make a major fighter jet purchase (48+ aircraft) it would want to:

1) have some localized production

2) have X amount of years of spare parts in storage as well as capability to produce the spare parts if need be

If these two cannot be fulfilled it’s hard to see Iran moving forward with such a major deal.

After all fighter jets are made to last 20+ years. Russia or China maybe friendly With iran today, but who knows 5, 10, 15 years down the Road what can happen.

One simply has to look at Iran-US relations in 1970’s then in 1980’s to see what a difference a decade can make.

It simply won’t happen barring a breakthrough in Russia and Iranian relations. The West and Arab Monarchs have too many pressure points on Russia. Russia has its own restive Muslim population that are in very poor regions of Russia. Then there is the matter of Ukraine.

Russia is in trouble and if already knows it, it’s not showing it.

Anyway with regards to aircraft, Iran won’t put large amount of money into something that could possibly NOT work when it needs it most. For Iran to make a major fighter jet purchase (48+ aircraft) it would want to:

1) have some localized production

2) have X amount of years of spare parts in storage as well as capability to produce the spare parts if need be

If these two cannot be fulfilled it’s hard to see Iran moving forward with such a major deal.

After all fighter jets are made to last 20+ years. Russia or China maybe friendly With iran today, but who knows 5, 10, 15 years down the Road what can happen.

One simply has to look at Iran-US relations in 1970’s then in 1980’s to see what a difference a decade can make.

Agree with the above. But then what does Iran do?

Maybe at least attempt to replace F-5 with JF-17 with local production?

Iran spans 2000+ km. A long range jet like Su-30 is necessary. Smaller jets like JF-17 can be used for point defense.
For point defense you use SAM. Or airdefence guns .

Sukhoi-30's in Iran would be a big improvement for their airforce
Right now even mig 35 would be great improvement by replacing our fleet of f4, f5, and j7. That's why I say su30 make no advantage for us as it won't be any improvement over our f14s and our air force needswhat before revolution planned to do a fleet of lighter airplane of f16 that in today scenario can be compared to mig35 and a fleet to replace the f14s and on that front only a 5th or higher generation can be considered an upgrade su30 would be a sidegrade.

More than that we need airplanes to support them for AWACS role And tankers aand transport and for that we need restart IR-140 project but this time with a suitable engine. For trainers we already can produce all sort of simulator and f5 drives airplanes .
However yyou look at it SU30 is not an upgrade and only increase the number of our airplane it was a good solution 20 years ago but look at 6-10 years in future
And it would be severely limited.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom