What's new

Iran: Most developed country in Muslim world thanks to Western sanctions

Of course. My pleasure.

"
Literacy Surge
Case in point: In the three and a half decades since the Islamic Revolution, there's been an unprecedented surge in female literacy and a passionate feminist movement during a most unexpected era.

On the eve of the revolution, the overall literacy rate for the female population in Iran stood at just over 35 percent. In 2007, it was an astonishing 80 percent.

Iran currently exhibits one of the highest female-to-male ratios at the primary school level among all sovereign nations.

The trend towards feminization additionally extends to higher education, where women have begun to outnumber men by a ratio of 127/100.

Evidence suggests that a key factor at play in all this was the eradication of coeducation.

While no studies have been conducted on this subject in Iran, a plethora of studies in Western nations since the 1990s suggest single-sex schools lead to increased confidence, academic engagement, class participation, higher levels of achievement, a stronger sense of identity, as well as better performance in math and sciences. In many ways, for young women born and raised in a patriarchal society, the benefits associated with this type of learning environment are priceless.

Amid this flourishing of women's literary empowerment, the veil, hailed by the late Khomeini as the "flag of the revolution," has lost its initial allure. In a recent interview, his granddaughter Zahra Eshraghi stated "I am sorry that the chador (veil) was forced on women. People have just lost their respect for it."

Full article: In Iran, Keep Your Eye on Jump in Female Literacy | Womens eNews

Surprising Facts about Iranian Society

Literacy rate:

In 2006 the United Nation announced Iran as the 9th in line of the highest rate of literacy among all nations. 82% of the Iranian adult population is now literate, well ahead of the regional average of 62%. This rate increases to 97% among young adults (aged between 15 and 24) without any gender discrepancy.

A Literacy Corps was established in 1963 to send educated conscripts to villages. During its first 10 years, the corps helped 2.2 million urban children and 600,000 adults become literate. This corps was shut down with the Islamic Revolution. In mid 80s the corps re-established and continued its work.

Higher Education:

Iran has 92 universities, 512 online University branches, and 56 research and technology institutes around the country. There are currently some 3.7 million university students in Iran. 1 million of them are medical students. 31% of them studying in Engineering and construction programs, one of the highest rates in the world.

In 2011, majority of students (65%) enrolled in Iranian Universities were women. Each year, 20% of government spending and 5% of GDP goes to education, a higher rate than most other developing countries. 50% of education spending is devoted to secondary education and 21% of the annual state education budget is devoted to the provision of tertiary education.

Surprising Facts about Iranian Society | Fellowship of Reconciliation

Iranian Women Under the Islamic Republic

In some ways, women have enjoyed significant gains under the Islamic Republic of Iran. Nowhere is this more true than in education. In 1976, on the eve of the Revolution, the
female literacy rate was a mere 35 percent. Despite the turmoil of the revolution and the imposed war with Iraq, by 1986 this rate had risen to 52 percent. Today, Iranian girls between the ages of 15 and 24 enjoy near universal literacy.

These gains are also reflected in education levels, which have greatly improved as part of the IRI’s commitment to providing universal education. For example, the female enrollment rate for primary education institutions is actually higher than it is for males. Women also graduate from their primary education programs at the same rate as their male counterparts. And despite new restrictions on what they can study, Iranian women are also strong participants in secondary education, with the female general enrollment rate in secondary education about 86 percent of the male rate.

In many ways, the high female education rate also extends to employment, especially since 1992 when the High Council of the Cultural Revolution adopted a new set of employment policies for women. Although women are unemployed at a rate of roughly twice that of men, one-third of doctors, 60 percent of civil servants, and 80 percent of teachers in Iran are women, according to the British historian Michael Axworthy.

The (Slow) Rise of Iran’s Women | The Diplomat

Literacy rate, youth female (% of females ages 15-24) | Data | Table

And don't forget there is massive amount of dissembling of truth with regards to Iran in English speaking media and sources similar to how Pakistan gets the sharp short shafting by Western media on account of geopolitics.
I am not talking about Feminine literacy rate but the country's ....it is put at 93%
http://www.uis.unesco.org/Education/Documents/UIS-literacy-statistics-1990-2015-en.pdf
While UNICEF shows:

Total adult literacy rate (%) 2008-2012* 85%

Though:
Primary school net enrolment ratio (%) 2008-2011* 99.9%

While US makes it look worse:
The literacy rate, which stood at 36% in 1976 and at just 25% for females, stands at 99% for males and females ages 15-24. Tertiary education has also never been so widely attainable by the Iranian population, with more than 2 million Iranian students enrolled at a university, over 60% of whom are women.

However no one has the latest data

Pakistan has 6 universities in top 700 QS rankings. I don't think Iran has a single university in those rankings . Does Iran have world class universities on the same level as NUST or Agha khan?.

^
When Turks and Iranian start flinging things at each other time for me to make my exit. I am in a bind as I have enormous respect for both .....

Give me examples with the proper backing of sources.
It is known fact previously backed by hundreds of samples if not thousands... Btw, it was my personal observation as an Economist who lived in 3 continents and been studying tens of different countries in my relatively long life... So, backing a known fact is like asking a guy bringing proof that Japan is advanced and Turkey is developing...

You can not change reality... like it or not... I put turkey as a successful nation economically despite that I'm an Iranian so this gives my post enough fairness... I don't have time or will to give you more sources for backup as you already know that better than me but for those who are not familiar I refer them to just a fraction of what Iranians are doing in Iran scientifically and technologically:

Iranian High Tech Industries | Page 14

It is a fraction and I personally have hundreds of more posts to add to this thread when I get enough time... Iran in 2015 scientifically and technologically is very much different from Iran of 2014 so I just referred you to that thread to have a taste...

Long Live Turkey

Pakistan has 6 universities in top 700 QS rankings. I don't think Iran has a single university in those rankings . Does Iran have world class universities on the same level as NUST or Agha khan?.

Does it really matters ?

Does it really matters ?

It does. Having world class universities and then having them featured amongst top university rankings is a great achievement. Pakistan has 6 such Universities. How much does Iran have?

56 research and technology institutes
This has changed dramatically in last decade or so due to the rise of Science and Technology parks which host 9000 privately owned high tech research and production companies... other points of yours are all true and great...

The current Iranian literacy rate is also %90 to 93 based on different statistics...

I would not even bother checking. That would be like expecting Pakistan to be listed in top 100 tourist destination by Western dominated media. For gawds sakes man as a Pakistani you should know how this works. Iran has bought ire of the West for 35 years and you think media is going to give that country any fair chance. Think how we get treated and we have been their so called ally for so long.

Development means... infrastructure development, institutional development, employment of advance technology, basic industry, literacy rate, quality of civil services, per capita income, elimination of poverty, civic sense... etc etc...
I wonder where does Iran stands in all of above listed parameters?
I suggest, Iran need to start with educating its people, about how to cross road and similarly its drivers about the meaning of zebra stripes on road. Pakistan is inclusive...
Development STARTS from building institutions, developing rules and regulations, ensuring justice for all.
Come back.. when Iran make start.

It is known fact previously backed by hundreds of samples if not thousands... Btw, it was my personal observation as an Economist who lived in 3 continents and been studying tens of different countries in my relatively long life... So, backing a known fact is like asking a guy bringing proof that Japan is advanced and Turkey is developing...

You can not change reality... like it or not... I put turkey as a successful nation economically despite that I'm an Iranian so this gives my post enough fairness... I don't have time or will to give you more sources for backup as you already know that better than me but for those who are not familiar I refer them to just a fraction of what Iranians are doing in Iran scientifically and technologically:

Iranian High Tech Industries | Page 14

It is a fraction and I personally have hundreds of more posts to add to this thread when I get enough time... Iran in 2015 scientifically and technologically is very much different from Iran of 2014 so I just referred you to that thread to have a taste...

Long Live Turkey

Not really. Your posts mentions all exept the Turkish perspective. Everyone can posts random stuff but statistics dont lie(mostly). From 1996-2014 Turkey published hundreds of thousands more scientific documents then Iran, of whom have far more H-Citations and above then Iran. So for you to say Iran is "far ahead compared to muslim countries" is f--ing BS.

Turkey
SJR - Country Search

Iran
SJR - Country Search

I had this discussion before with @The Last of us, didnt turn out well. So lets leave it here.

Long Live Iran

I make comparison with one more angle... list 5 star hotels from Tehran and than I compare it with region.

Let me tell you guy's of story from my wasted youth. Me and my friend went out one friday night. My friend was amatuer boxer and both of us had met while doing weight training. anyway on the way back from the club we went to this fast food joint and I accidentally pushed into this guy. Next thing it led to a fight. The fight continued outside on the pavement. The guy was a drunk Irish scaffolder. It went on and on. I grabbed him from and my friend beat the shat out of him.

This guy would not give upthough. He would struggle and pull himself up again and again. Toward the end we both had to run off with the guy screaming still cussing. This reminds me how the iranians fought the Iran/Iraq war. Shear bottle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom