What's new

Iran Considers JF-17 Thunder Purchase from #Pakistan

That was during the Shah's era, When we had open borders with Iran. Remember RCD (Regional Cooperation for Development).

methinks that was secular Iran not the Islamic Republic, which in-case of attack on Pakistan by India will rush to snatch Blochistan!

guess who keeps bailing out Pakistan time and again (and rebuilt FATA schools and colleges etc. after the Army operations there).
clue: it's not Iran
Why not USA then? Forgot the billions of dollars aid?
All arabs having good relationships with india and there volume of trade is much more then india trade with iran

Those who oppose the sale to iran or view Iran with suspicion I do understand their point of view, but having said that , there is no Other country on the Face of earth More naturally Allied and Influenced by Iran than Pakistan, we are influenced culturally and linguistically and ideologically to Iran. Even more than Turkey. Turkey is another natural ally of Iran.

ofcourse Pakistan doesn't want to make United states its enemy cuz we know americans we understand them we need them they need us, it doesn't make sense to make USA enemy for the sake of iran. also, we have no interest in making Israel our enemy. we can be cautious that is a must but we shouldn't harm Israel lest they Harm us back.

as for JF-17 i wish this deal can go through but realistically Sanctions are God damn pain in the *** for any government or institution. JF-17 has a Russian engine. there are 3 states involved in this deal Russia, China and pakistan and i think all 3 of them would like to avoid sanctions. but if there is a loop hople or if these 3 nations can stand together in supoort of Iran then i'd be very happy , like many in Pakistan and even in china.

i know Pakistaniz view Iran with suspicion and caution its good caution is good but Iran ain't that bad they are just like us Pakistaniz, just less westernized culturally.

let's see if the news is legit. we want as many customers for JF-17 as we can get.

After all, every pakistani reads Pak studies in from grade 8th till grade 10 and Iran , China and Turkey are taught to us As natural and Bad Time friends. we should look at iran as a friend just like we do look at UAE, Turkey and Saudi arabia as not only friends but brothers.

Last edited:
Actually Iran has now become India's best friend I think.

No not really, India is not happy with Iran because they have been raising Kashmir issue again and Iran is not happy with India because of the delays in their payments for the oil they purchased and also with with the slow speeds in Chabahar project as India promised.

I think Iranis are too much of a dark horse to be given the JF17.

If we sell to Iranis then we turn away a good handful of habibis.

I am strictly against this...

Ink phati hoti hai to yeh Pakistan k sath achey honey ki koshish kartey hain warna 7wein asmaan pe rehtey hain

Oh bhai yeh koi khufiya technology to hai nhi jo hum de ke pachtaiein.
This is simple tech that is widely available in many platforms. Doesn't matter they are friends or foe in disguise. The thing is if we don't then they will get something else from China or Russia or someone else because they have the money.
So why not make some money while we can and still sell a platform that we know better than a platform they might buy from some one else?

Baaki jaha tak baat hai kon apna hai kon paraya.
Zionists try hard to influence and control most Islamic nations lekin in ko chhor ke. The only thing against them is just all talks. That can speak volumes on what might be happening behind the tables. But dekho kya hota hai, as long as we are on the right side of history and keep our intentions right, we won't ever be let down by the Almighty.

scale down jet
The Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force is considering the purchase of Pakistani-made JF-17 Thunder fighter jets to progressively replace its ageing F-14 and MiG-29 fighter jets.

According to Muzammil Hatami, officials of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps announced an upcoming deal with Pakistan for an purchase of JF-17 Thunder fighter jets during the IDEAS 2018 exhibition.

“IRGC [Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps] general giving remarks (to induct JF17 Thunder next year in Iranian air force fleet) after visiting Pakistan made fighter jet JF-17 Thunder fighter at 10th IDEAS exhibition in Karachi Pakistan,” said Muzammil Hatami.

Iran has long been in search of a replacement for its ageing 3rd generation fighter jets. After decades of financial and technological strangulation, Iran trying to rebuild its air force.

Shortly before, Iran counted to sign a contract with Russia to buy the Sukhoi Su-30SM fighter jets. But because of the influence of the United States and several European countries, the deal never took place.

The option of buying JF-17 Thunder fighter jets is perfect for Iran and it is quite possible that a contract for new aircraft may be signed in the near future.

JF-17 “Thunder” is a multirole fighter developed jointly by the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) and the Chengdu Aircraft Corporation (CAC) of China.

The JF-17 can be used for aerial reconnaissance, ground attack and aircraft interception.

https://defence-blog.com/news/iran-...Tap14ts_LxW-E4V5Tq54UdxwMYxKt5qFEBUyJ_8_FAryE

Regardless of Iran's relationship with India, Pakistan’s national interest to maintain good ties with Iran. One way to do that is to boost trade and increase export to Iran. If we sell defense equipment to Iran, Iran might allow us the route to our export to Central Asian countries.

Iran has F-4 Phantom II, Northrop F-5, Chengdu F-7, Sukhoi Su-22 and Sukhoi Su-24, these should have been replaced 5 years ago. IMHO, Iran doesn't have many choices. Russia can sell Su-30 but Russia might fold under USA pressure.
China and Pakistan can offer joint production of K-8 and JF-17 to Iran. I would not mind selling 36 to 40 JF-17 block 3 to Iran. Pakistan can continue working with China to improve block 3 and even work toward block 3.5 or 4.
Iran and Pakistan can a joint venture in light tank, Armoured recovery vehicle, Armored personnel carrier, Armoured command vehicle, Multiple rocket launcher, Self-propelled gun and Towed howitzer.

Last edited:
first of all news source is not authentic so no need to make a storm in the tea cup, other than that in my opinion ... we should change our way of thinking about world business and for that purpose we should learn the lessons from other countries in the region, for instance UAE and Iran are worst enemies to eachother yet Iran's 8.81 Billion $ imports are through UAE. China and America are arch rivals yet both are biggest business partners and list goes on, pakistan must establish trade links with iran and should come out of this theory" keh hamray khelaf sazish ho rahi hay " why can't we understand that success has many father and failure is an orphan the day we will become a stable economy many countries will change their opinion about us ... because there is no brotherly terms in international relations it is all about economics interests if our trade volum with iran will be higher than others they will never ever think to destabilize pakistan.... but if india is investing more in their country then dont blame them because they are paying the price to run their economy ... same is the case with our arab partners we should increase our trade ties with them so that relations could be transform in to meaningful partnership

Last edited:
Iranians were just checking out JF17s in an exhibition, that's what is done in such events nothing more. US will slap sanctions on us if we sell them stuff so if for once we consider this highly unlikely news as true, than deal will most probably be implemented as like of Myammar where Pakistan will play low. In such scenario, it will nevertheless be a major triumph for Pakistan JF17s exports.

I actually hope the sale of JF-17s to Iran happen at some point down the line. There are some valid concerns but there is more to actually gain in that equation imo.

Lots of comments here are a typical Pakistani view point with little to no thought behind them but just one or two liners about brotherhood, trust and greed (read begging Saudis for money here).

Fact of the matter is Iran is a historically close ally of Pakistan that has never threatened us, and at their best, have openly helped us in times or dire need. Maybe some of the posters here don't know that when the US sanctioned us after 1965, Iran actually purchased 90 F-86s Sabres from Germany that ended up forming the majority of our airforce. Had it not been for those, the results of 1971 would have been much different. Iranians, if they are your friends, will stick with you through thick and thin. I can not say the same for any of the Arab states that Pakistan seems to be bowing before. Didn't the Saudis just a few months back vote against Pakistan as well that led us being put on the grey list for supporting terrorism?!!

The basic point here is this, Pakistan needs to grow up and stop living and acting like a 3rd grader. It needs to further its interests with vigor and stand up on principals, and not shed those principals at the first sight of trouble or lure of easy money. There are many examples that abound right around us, yet we are somehow to blind to see or too ignorant to acknowledge. Some like @Horus have already pointed this out, but I will mention it again. Take the examples of our enemy and supposed brother. India, despite all their shortcomings, have managed a policy that is India first and have made others accept it. Heck, US just gave them a waiver to not just keep buying oil from their supposed worst enemy Iran, they also let them buy S-400 from their other supposed worst threat, Russia. Why? Self-interest. They want the Indian market access and to have them spend money buying American goods.

Similarly, despite having close economic relationships with Iran, India has in fact much stronger trade and bi-lateral relations with EVERY single Arab country then Pakistan. You don't see the likes of UAE or RSA complaining about them buying Iranian oil do you? Yet, even the thought of us somehow irking them by having normal relationships with our neighboring countries gives us the shivers (or perhaps withdrawals like an addict). Heck, we were just getting bullied by a puny country like Qatar just last month or two ago.

We can even take our own example. How many times have our relations soured with the US, UK and France, and yet we are always looking for ways to mend them. All those countries have sanctioned us multiple times in the past yet we have no problem getting those back on track.

I have said this before, and I still stand by it. Pakistan needs to ensure, by every measure possible, that the Pak-Iran border stays dormant for time immemorial, given the grave threat we are going to be facing from India in the coming decade (read water wars).

On the news itself, Pakistan has offered all middle eastern countries JF-17, be it to replace the F-7s or F-5s or old Mirages, and the aircraft is fully capable of performing very well in every single of those circumstances. Yet we have not scored a single order, and if we are honest, none of the Arab countries will ever buy if either. Most all of the potential buyers there have already committed to buying F-16s or Rafales. Iran, is it were to purchase JF-17 has the potential of becoming our largest buyer! And yes, they do have buying power (just look at the order books with Boeing when they thought Americans were sincere in removing sanctions). If they buy the Thunder, it will not only lower the cost of our own purchase, the infusion of the money will directly go into supporting future upgrades and even project Azm. If they want to build it in Iran, more power to them. We should gladly help set up manufacturing facilities in Iran and charge them for it, just like Egypt did when they produced their own K-8s and even Myanmar might be getting the capacity to locally overhaul their JF-17s. That doesn't mean they will be able to sell those to 3rd parties and no country in their right mind "shares" information about their tactical or strategic weapon systems with others (as some people here seem to imply viz-a-viz India). Heck, I would say, the Iranians would actually safeguard them from Indian eyes even more so then any other country we sell to, since the bhindians will gladly run to Americans and Israelis with whatever they learn the next day.

Anyways, this topic discussion can go on for a long time with me just scratching the surface here, but I will stay hopeful that Pakistan ensures a strong Iran, even if its just in order to save its own hide in the future. Yes I think its only a matter of time that once the powers to be are done destroying another Muslim country, they will turn their efforts on Pakistan. For that to not happen, we need to have a multi-pronged strategy or not just uplifting our country from poverty, nepotism and corruption, but also make sure our neighborhood does not see the kind of destruction and generation-uprooting events that are happening in the ME for the last decade.

There is no reason to not to sell to Iran. Correction.

But news is a speculation because Iranians were too much interested and were asking many question about the jet and the spent most of their time around JF-17.

This is the person who came from Iran

From his uniform I think he is air force but Iranian members here can help more.

They are just collecting information to improve their own indigenous plane designs.

I reckon Tejas is a good deal, you get a fighter aircraft and a truck with it to drive it around.

lol, definitely Tejas is a ground hugging Strike aircraft that will never be grounded because it will never take off.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom